Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 02:21 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,532,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That is pretty much my take on it too. Cruz brings all the hard core conservatism that is so important in Republican primaries along with intellectual ability - a quality that is sorely lacking in that faction of the party. He may just win the primary. He will struggle to raise money with Bush in the race. In any case, it sets the table for a bitter fight among the moderates and the extremists for the future direction of the party. It should get interesting unless he decides to act more mainstream than his rhetoric has been. I don't think he will. He has been a man of his principles if nothing else.

While I share little of his philosophy, I am rooting for him to win. It will be a Goldwater style trouncing in the general and may push the Republicans back to the center once again.
So, I am just trying to get a sense of whether you and others around here are measuring his chances based on his reputation, perhaps as presented by some segment of the media, or by his actual words and deeds. It is my sense that his reputation for being outside the "mainstream" may be somewhat exaggerated compared to his actual comments.

So, what has he said that you regard as out of the mainstream? I am not trying to suggest that Cruz has not said anything outside of the "mainstream," whatever that is. Just curious about what your perspective is on that.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
This is pretty much my point of view as well, in fact I am praying that the Establishment doesent even bother and just lets him win the nomination. Eight years of Hillary will cause the GOP to implode and return to the center ... from which we can actually win.

The Tea Party does not seem to grasp that the US is not a far right nation, it's a centrist nation. This is why the Democrats always win, they campaign as centrists ... not far right ideologues.
The Democrats do not "always" win. In fact, the Republicans have won 5 of the last 10 presidential elections. And as impossible as it seemed in 2008, the Republicans now lead the US House, US Senate, a solid majority of state governor's mansions and a solid majority of state houses, which also includes a very lopsided number of states where the Republicans control both state houses and the Governor's mansion.

Anyone extrapolating Obama's victory in the last two in a row into a long-term or even a permanent new political reality in this country has not studied the political volatility of our country or other democratically oriented countries very much at all.

This is going to be a close presidential race and as is usually the case, it will come down to the wire. It may also be close in the US Senate. But for all the rest, the Republicans will continue to dominate for a good while yet, and nothing is going to happen in the next two years to change that.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:33 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,114,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I somehow don't think it has anything to do with how weak or strong someone views their own party. It has more to do with thinking who is the best match up and the opponent that gives their side the best opportunity.

Not only that, but Ponderosa mentioned specfically about perhaps it will move the GOP to the center a bit. After the last couple elections the consensus from many Republicans on here was that they lost because the GOP wasn't far enough to the right. Well, perhaps putting someone up there as far to the right as Cruz and having him get absolutely demolished in a General Election, will change some of that.
I hope so Smash, I certainly hope this occurs. The ability for moderate Republicans like myself to tell the lunatic wing "I told you so" would be the icing on the cake.

I don't understand these people from the far right, I just don't understand them. They don't understand elections or how governing occurs.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:36 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,114,343 times
The guy is running dead last in the GOP primary polling, and he is getting demolished in polls that have him vs the Hildabeast.

This guy is a joke, I think even The Donald would fare better against the Hildabeast.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I somehow don't think it has anything to do with how weak or strong someone views their own party. It has more to do with thinking who is the best match up and the opponent that gives their side the best opportunity.

Not only that, but Ponderosa mentioned specfically about perhaps it will move the GOP to the center a bit. After the last couple elections the consensus from many Republicans on here was that they lost because the GOP wasn't far enough to the right. Well, perhaps putting someone up there as far to the right as Cruz and having him get absolutely demolished in a General Election, will change some of that.
Ted Cruz is not going to win the Republican nomination. However, his candidacy will allow him to introduce issues to the race that will be interesting if not decisive, and that will likely force some Republican candidates to the right a bit. His candidacy will also give Senator Cruz the ability to present himself and his perspectives directly to the American people, without the media as an intermediate filter, which is pretty much all most people have gotten up until this time.

Have you ever listened to Ted Cruz speak? The truth is, he is an immensely intelligent person, perhaps even "brilliant". He is an excellent public speaker and when the American people hear him in the debates, they are very likely to think that he sounds much more reasonable than they have been led to believe by the left dominated media, who obviously hates this man with a white-hot, highly-partisan passion.

While I would bet money that he will not win the Republican nomination, he is likely to change a lot of people's opinions about him. He is also like to come out of the primaries as much more politically powerful than when he began the process. For Ted Cruz, it is my sense that these are the things he truly has to gain from going through this process.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:45 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,477,534 times
Disturbed Man Tries to Get Into White House
Disturbed Man Tries to Get Into White House
Despite a record of bizarre episodes and unhinged utterances, observers expressed little concern about his plans to get into the White House, calling them “delusional.”

Old 03-22-2015, 04:03 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,375,811 times
Cruz will be a formidable candidate. He has the rare combination of being quick on his feet as well as having intellectual depth. Right now I think it's between Cruz, Rubio, and Walker. I will be happy with any of the three. Each has strengths and weaknesses, but if I had to pick today, my choice would be Cruz. The key for him will be to figure out ways to counter the unrelenting name-calling attacks that are sure to ensue from the left. W Bush never solved that problem. Reagan did. We'll see about Cruz.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:21 PM

1,733 posts, read 949,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
He's too far right. He looks like some version of comedic actor Bill Murray, and has about as much chance to win the presidency as Mr. Murray.

Ted "Bill Murray" Cruz looks like what he is, a joke.

Soooooo, we are not supposed to vote for someone because of his/her looks? Ok.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:15 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,467,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
It would only seem fair, after all the silliness with BO. Then again, the birthers just ended up looking like idiots.
it's mostly the same idiots ( so far ).

Quote:
I suspect their efforts actually helped Obama in the end.
agreed.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:17 PM

1,733 posts, read 949,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Actually, he reminds me of Joe McCarthy.

And not just in looks. Like McCarthy, Cruz is a master of the art of innuendo and smear tactics.

Ted Cruz-The Reincarnation Of Joe McCarthy? - Forbes
Good grief, lol!!! So, don't vote for someone based on their looks and because Forbes says so.

I've lurked on this forum for quite some time and so many have griped about those they elect not standing by their word or principles. Now someone who does just that is deemed a loon and unelectable. If Bush, Rubio, or Clinton win, they will waste no time turning their back on those that elected them. They (and Rand Paul) have already flip-flopped on serious issues such as illegal immigration, for example. And that is before announcing their run for presidency. What in the heck do you (in general) think they are going to do once put in office?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections