Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 11:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
States are representative of its citizens, therefore if the issue of gay marriage is keft to each individual state, the voters decide whether gay marriage ia to be allowed, not Ted Cruz or the gov't. Have you studied the Constitution?

Hillsdale college offers a free course.
Except when it denies a right granted through the Constitution. The 14th amendment requires that the government treats ALL citizens as equals under the law regardless of race, gender or sexuality. But don't worry, the US Supreme Court will clarify this and strike down gay marriage bans soon enough.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:23 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
You can be gay and support Ted Cruz.

It's just rather stupid and against your self interest since Ted Cruz wants to work hard to abridge the rights of gay people, as do most conservatives.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:24 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Bent, you're further off base than usual on this one.
I know an 81-year-old gay man, he gets on my nerves a lot but he's a pretty good friend, who thinks Cruz is the bee's knees. He (my bud) is opposed to SSM. He (my bud) married a woman when they were both 77 y.o. and he thinks that settled that, they're now living happily ever after, he can vote Republican in clear conscience.

We don't much go into details (ewww) when we talk about it but my take is that as far he's concerned, when TX struck down the sodomy law that pretty much cleared out all the problems.

IMO, my right-wing gay bud's crushing on Cruz.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:07 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'd like to reply with a snipped excerpt from a previous post on another thread of mine.

Cruz may not sign a bill into law banning gay marriage but he'll allow discrimination by pocket vetoing but instead of it by congress, he's allowing states to pass Jim Crow laws allowing gays no to have truly equal rights. And yet people wonder why I can't vote for Cruz.

Wait a minute.... A President that doesn't enforce the law.... Unheard of.
Where is my pen & phone.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Except when it denies a right granted through the Constitution. The 14th amendment requires that the government treats ALL citizens as equals under the law regardless of race, gender or sexuality. But don't worry, the US Supreme Court will clarify this and strike down gay marriage bans soon enough.

Tell that to the Civil Rights Act and especially, affirmative action and the protected class that created.
Why are poor people treated differently than those that can make it?
Why are children a protected class, adults don't get?
Why have illegal aliens become a protected class?
Why do women get special privileges that men don't?

Explain to me, why government gets to pick winners and losers?
Why can't the people do that.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
You can be gay and support Ted Cruz.

It's just rather stupid and against your self interest since Ted Cruz wants to work hard to abridge the rights of gay people, as do most conservatives.

To get bullied for it, too.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:50 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Tell that to the Civil Rights Act and especially, affirmative action and the protected class that created.
Why are poor people treated differently than those that can make it?
Why are children a protected class, adults don't get?
Why have illegal aliens become a protected class?
Why do women get special privileges that men don't?

Explain to me, why government gets to pick winners and losers?
Why can't the people do that.
The problem is we used to discriminate both on the private side and the public side. I don't know if we'd see many people hiring the best candidate regardless of their race, gender, sexuality, military status, and many more other issues that wouldn't translate into job performance.
Also based by views on this forum, I KNOW we would see discrimination on customers and not even perceived racism like a white boy checking for ID for an unsigned credit card from an African-American couple.

The issue is before CRA, government picked winners, it was only white males because rights of all citizens weren't protected.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:29 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
The 14th Amendment was ratified in 1868 in order to protect the rights of freed slaves. Note that women did not get the right to vote until 1920. Those who drafted and ratified it thus interpreted it much differently than you do. They probably would have been dumbstruck if told that they had imposed 'gay marriage.'

You could argue that the implication of gay marriage lay in the 14th, that it just took 150 years to be realized. This is my argument on the First Amendment, that although it does not contain 'separation of church and state,' the seeds were there.

However, you have to have some principle that limits equality under the law. Is it a violation of the 14th amendment that a drunk can legally buy his booze, but a junkie can't legally buy his junk? Where does it stop? Is it a violation that I can't practice law because I haven't passed the bar? That a cop can drive solo in the HOV lane, and I can't?

Face it, the 14th amendment argument is just a ploy to get nationwide gay marriage imposed through the courts, since it can't be obtained through the ballot box, at least at this time.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:14 AM

1,733 posts, read 948,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
States are representative of its citizens, therefore if the issue of gay marriage is left to each individual state, the voters decide whether gay marriage is to be allowed, not Ted Cruz or the gov't. Have you studied the Constitution?

Hillsdale college offers a free course.

I couldn't edit the typo so re bolded is sic.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
The problem is we used to discriminate both on the private side and the public side. I don't know if we'd see many people hiring the best candidate regardless of their race, gender, sexuality, military status, and many more other issues that wouldn't translate into job performance.
Also based by views on this forum, I KNOW we would see discrimination on customers and not even perceived racism like a white boy checking for ID for an unsigned credit card from an African-American couple.

The issue is before CRA, government picked winners, it was only white males because rights of all citizens weren't protected.

Kinda went around the question, did ya.
Then Government must not treat us all equally, as everyone assumes the 14th amendment dictates..
Some are special.(Dana Carvey voice)

Why does government get to pick the winners and losers, if we are all treated equally by the government?????

Are they trying to make everyone equally poor, or are they treating everyone equally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections