Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 12:34 AM

16,624 posts, read 8,636,025 times

Advertisements

Funny thing about Bernie (from what I know of him), he may be a left wing loon, but I respect him. He tells it like it is, without worries of how it will be viewed politically. So unlike many politicians from both parties who will say whatever is poll tested, he speaks from his own convictions. He is a breath of fresh air compared with Hillary, who is the antithesis of what I just described.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 04:29 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,327,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
What happened in the popular vote in five out of the last six presidential elections?
Discount Barack Obama, because he was not elected on the basis of his politics. He was elected purely on the basis of his skin color. To not support Obama was to be called a "racist." He was to be "our first black Presiden." Support was required.

Bill Clinton was elected to his first term because Ross Perot was on the ballot as a third party candidate, splitting the conservative vote, and secondly, George H.W. Bush ran a very poor campaign.

Presidential elections are not the indicator of the political position (conservative/liberal) of the electorate as much as State and local election are.

Poll after poll, year after year has shown that over 60% of Americans consider themselves to be at least "somewhat conservative." The same poll, conducted by the same organization (I forget who it is that does this poll) annually.

Nice try though.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:32 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,327,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Consider the source. "The Atlantic?"

Old 05-01-2015, 05:52 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,993,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Wow. I never said I was a libertarian. I said libertarian leaning. This is seriously the third time Iv'e said it.

The force that would reign in corporate excess is actually called the free market. For example, Bank bailouts create a moral hazard and are an intervention into what should have been several bankrupt financial institutions.
So you'd rather have a national depression than a bank bailout?

Old 05-01-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Discount Barack Obama, because he was not elected on the basis of his politics. He was elected purely on the basis of his skin color. To not support Obama was to be called a "racist." He was to be "our first black Presiden." Support was required.
I think you need to loosen the tinfoil hat a little bit.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
So which of the numbers they cite is inaccurate?

Old 05-01-2015, 06:04 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,401,390 times
Quote:
Oh please. This meme is so tired I can't believe even you are still trotting it out.

Obama won his two elections because he was a much better presidential candidate than John "Bomb bomb bomb Iran!" McCain or Mitt "Gordon Gecko" Romney.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:39 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,905,693 times
Quote:
I see a well-written and factually correct article. Pretty much the opposite of what conservatives read.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:55 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,770,897 times
Quote:

Bill Clinton was elected to his first term because Ross Perot was on the ballot as a third party candidate, splitting the conservative vote, and secondly, George H.W. Bush ran a very poor campaign.

Presidential elections are not the indicator of the political position (conservative/liberal) of the electorate as much as State and local election are.

Poll after poll, year after year has shown that over 60% of Americans consider themselves to be at least "somewhat conservative." The same poll, conducted by the same organization (I forget who it is that does this poll) annually.

Nice try though.

Good God, the whining is hurting my ears (eh...my eyes). Obama was qualified, and beat all comers, even the Clinton Machine. And over the last 6 years, he has shown he is far more intelligent, eloquent, and mature than nearly all his adversaries and rivals. So, get over the @#%#@%#% self-pity already.

You lost. Man up.

I am one of those guys, who is "somewhat conservative." The rub is, I am not stupid, so I don't buy the GOP bs. and perpetual clown car candidacies. You want to win, put up someone "somewhat conservative" like John Huntsman. Put up a clown like Ted Cruz, and you will lose again. In today's political climate, a somewhat conservative person has no choice but to vote Democrat.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
You lost. Man up.
Yeah, don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections