Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 06:30 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,217,246 times

Advertisements

How long till Democrats start babbling about hanging chads?

Old 02-02-2016, 06:31 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,546,133 times
Cruz "won" several things that are more important than the delegate counts at this stage.

First and most importantly, Cruz vindicated his national campaign strategy of increasing conservative turnout to get more votes than people expected. The so-called experts almost unanimously dismissed this strategy as naive wishful thinking which was sure to fail. As it turns out, Cruz was right. Also, despite the "experts" proclaiming this year is "different" as far as the need for a ground game and such, Cruz was right again. So much for a new age of politics having dawned on us courtesy of Donald Trump.

Cruz got the "win" and the momentum that comes from that. Forget the delegates, he proved himself to be a winner. It is usually said there are three tickets out of Iowa, and that is likely to be right. There may be one more if someone other than Cruz, Trump or Rubio finishes in the top three in New Hampshire - almost surely one of the governors - although that would be bad news for Rubio, who would like to try to consolidate the vote of these three governors going forward. Anyway, with this "win" Cruz has the momentum, he has money in the bank, and he is almost certainly going to be in this primary contest for as long as he wants to be as a result of that.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:32 AM

30,120 posts, read 18,730,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Donny asked: How stupid are the people of Iowa?

A: Not as stupid as he'd hoped.
I live in Iowa. I would offer that average Iowan (given that they voted for Obama twice) is quite stupid with regard to presidential candidates. We tend to have good governors, senators, and congressmen, but totally blow it in the presidential elections.

I have always been perplexed by that fact, as Iowa has a very high level of education and low unemployment rate. However, there are many "old democrats" here who still think the democrat party is the party of FDR, Truman, and Kennedy.

12,867 posts, read 14,938,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Florida polls are going to change a lot now that Trump is a loser in Iowa. Rubio is going to skyrocket in Florida. Trump's poll numbers are going down in all future states due to him being a 'loser'.

Expectations were for Trump to win Iowa and he lost. Trump's comments about being on top always will make it even worse in future states. Being #1 is one of Trump's main talking points and now he's a loser.

Too bad Trump came in 2nd instead of 3rd. It would have been awesome to see Rubio beat Trump in Iowa. But still, it's great that Trump got thumped by Cruz.
Rubio isn't going to win in florida, because he is a FLORIDA representative, and a very bad one.

WE ACTUALLY PAY ATTENTION TO THE VOTING HERE.

He misses more votes than he attends, and he voted with the gang of 8. He is always in debt, and will sell this country out if he gets the opportunity. Hell, he sold us out within a few weeks of his election.

good luck in florida, Rubio.

26,026 posts, read 22,219,795 times
Good grief, MMM05, you have been regularly predicting this for months. It is called "crying wolf".

Old 02-02-2016, 06:33 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,139,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
so the question about Trump rally attendance is pretty much answered.....yuuge attendance equates to diddly-squat.

Urban Dictionary: diddly squat
Speaking of rally attendance and votes, where is our good friend Feline-O-Matic®?

Mick

Old 02-02-2016, 06:34 AM

20,129 posts, read 16,209,035 times
The winners were Rubio and Sanders, who did so much better than expected. The losers were Trump and Clinton, who did worse than expected. Cruz literally won but that was expected so isn't as big of a deal as Rubio or Sanders.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:34 AM

39,109 posts, read 51,345,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Cruz "won" several things that are more important than the delegate counts at this stage.

First and most importantly, Cruz vindicated his national campaign strategy of increasing conservative turnout to get more votes than people expected. The so-called experts almost unanimously dismissed this strategy as naive wishful thinking which was sure to fail. As it turns out, Cruz was right. Also, despite the "experts" proclaiming this year is "different" as far as the need for a ground game and such, Cruz was right again. So much for a new age of politics having dawned on us courtesy of Donald Trump.

Cruz got the "win" and the momentum that comes from that. Forget the delegates, he proved himself to be a winner. It is usually said there are three tickets out of Iowa, and that is likely to be right. There may be one more if someone other than Cruz, Trump or Rubio finishes in the top three in New Hampshire - almost surely one of the governors - although that would be bad news for Rubio, who would like to try to consolidate the vote of these three governors going forward. Anyway, with this "win" Cruz has the momentum, he has money in the bank, and he is almost certainly going to be in this primary contest for as long as he wants to be as a result of that.
I'll agree with this much, Cruz is moneyed up good by the special interests - something that no right wing extreme candidate has never enjoyed before. He has what it takes to win in that regard.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:39 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The winners were Rubio and Sanders, who did so much better than expected. The losers were Trump and Clinton, who did worse than expected. Cruz literally won but that was expected so isn't as big of a deal as Rubio or Sanders.
That is not what I remember from this time yesterday. Trump was up by 5 points in the final RCP poll average and most of the experts thought Trump was likely to win, but most of them said it was possible that Cruz could come from behind and pull it off, although the polls were suggesting otherwise.

In the end, Cruz beat Trump by 4 points. That is a 9 point swing.

The polls were wrong again.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:42 AM

68,352 posts, read 54,520,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I live in Iowa. I would offer that average Iowan (given that they voted for Obama twice) is quite stupid with regard to presidential candidates. We tend to have good governors, senators, and congressmen, but totally blow it in the presidential elections.

I have always been perplexed by that fact, as Iowa has a very high level of education and low unemployment rate. However, there are many "old democrats" here who still think the democrat party is the party of FDR, Truman, and Kennedy.
What perplexes me is how anyone can believe Trump is a believer in any party but the party of Trump?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.