Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2016, 08:02 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,078,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Rand Paul just dropped out ...
Is it because he would have not made the debate cut? Otherwise, it's only a handful of days until NH votes.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Does it take that long to make up my mind on other things unrelated to politics? Depends. Depends on the number of reasonable,palatable options I have, the more of those I have, the longer it takes to solidify my final choice. I will almost always eliminate what I don't want before I come up with what I do want among the other choices. It is also highly dependent on when I must come up with a choice, if I am afforded time to make a decision, I take it. What is the rush? I like to take the time I need to find out as much information as I can so I can make the best decision, not the quickest.

Let me try to explain my current undecided status using scenarios. Let's say we get to the point where there are less candidates to choose from:
1- Rubio, Bush, Kasich, Paul, Christie: undecided, but not likely to vote for Christie

2 - Trump, Cruz, Carson, Rubio: Rubio

3 - Christie, Cruz, Bush, Kasich: undecided, but in this senario I would not vote for Cruz

4 - Cruz, Trump, Clinton, Sanders: Cruz

5 - Trump, Carson, Cruz: Cruz

6 - Trump, Carson: Carson

7 - Christie, Trump, Cruz: Christie

8 - Clinton, Trump, Sanders: Clinton

9 - Sanders, Trump: who's running for 3rd party?
I have until March 1st to make my final decision for the primary. I may make the final decision before that date but it will depend on who is still in the race.

I can't imagine being so tied to a candidate at this juncture. For instance, let's pretend Trump was the top of my maybe catagory. When he dropped out of that debate because he didn't like the moderator and then he got his feelings hurt by the station's snarky tweet, he would leave my maybe category straight into the "no way" category.

Look, no candidate is perfect, because they are mere mortals. My goal is to pick the one who will do the least damage. I am not alone in how I approach an election.
Okay, thanks. I eliminate everyone I will not vote for right off the bat (in my case US Senators) and then I look at accomplishments. I wouldn't vote for a candidate based on campaign promises. In fact, I could make my decision if they never campaigned. What always impacts me is my candidates getting eliminated before I vote. I have a second choice in mind if that happens but the likelihood is my second choice will be eliminated soon. I can early vote in less than a week.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:37 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,952,609 times
I can't believe they settle it over a coin toss.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:41 AM

I've been reading around and apparently polling is going to be a problem right before NH votes. Saturday is the debate, the Super Bowl is the next day, then the voting starts Tuesday morning. NH doesn't have early voting. So, no regular poll is going to be able to capture the debate outcome, easily.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:58 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,301,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's really not that uncommon at all. What would you prefer in the event of a tie, a game of dodgeball?

Old 02-03-2016, 10:48 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,952,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It's really not that uncommon at all. What would you prefer in the event of a tie, a game of dodgeball?
Um re cast ballots leaving it up to a coin toss makes it a fifty-fifty chance provided a fair coin is used.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:57 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,261,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Is it because he would have not made the debate cut? Otherwise, it's only a handful of days until NH votes.
I think it's more about a realistic assessment of his chances and the need to shore up his Senate run instead of wasting any more time or money on a lost cause.

I wouldn't be voting for him but I will miss him on the campaign trail. Occasionally crazy but an interesting voice nonetheless.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:04 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,286,776 times
Let me get this "great" system of our of Caucuses.

Cruz gets 51,000 votes he gets 8 delegates

Trump gets 45,000 votes he gets 7 delegates

Rubio gets 43,000 votes he gets 7 delegates

Jeb Bush gets 5,000 votes and he gets 1 delegate? WTF!

Fiorina gets 3,500 votes and she gets 1 delegate also.

Do they give out 1 delegate for just showing up.....weird system......Jeb Bush must be thinking I'm only 7 delegates behind the winner Cruz, NO bad at all!.....lol

Old 02-03-2016, 11:22 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,301,757 times
Quote:
Um re cast ballots leaving it up to a coin toss makes it a fifty-fifty chance provided a fair coin is used.
There are no ballots in the Iowa Democratic caucus. Everybody gets in a group for a candidate and the candidate with the biggest group wins the precinct. If there are fifty people in each group no amount of re-counting is going to change that.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:26 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,261,726 times
Quote:
Good that you don't believe it, because it didn't really happen.

Coin-Toss Fact Check: No, Coin Flips Did Not Win Iowa For Hillary Clinton : NPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.