Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 01:39 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,240,902 times

Advertisements

Have they let us in on the total number of Democratic Caucus voters?

Old 02-02-2016, 01:54 PM

30,111 posts, read 18,720,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Oh, stop with the partisan drivel for a while here and embrace the moment: two "unelectable candidates prevailed in Iowa".

Are you sure?

No one can predict the future. I would not rule out a Sanders victory (although unlikely). I would not rule out a Cruz victory (although unlikely).

Who would have thought in 2008 that Obama and McCain were going to the candidates?

Old 02-02-2016, 01:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,965,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I agree - neither is a strong candidate and because of Hillary and her baggage and Bernie's age and policies - I really don't see either winning the Presidency. If Biden had run - then the Republicans would have had to worry as I know many Republicans that would have voted for him vs one of their party.

How can you mention age when Joe Biden is 73 and Bernie Sanders is 74? I like Bernie, but his demeanor concerns me (as well as some of his policies) so I'm leaning toward Hillary. Sometimes he reminds me of a character in the movie "Network" with Faye Dunaway. Anyone remember that movie? I was in my 20s. I always expect Bernie to suddenly say at the end of a speech "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more," so it was nice to see him smiling last night as his supporters cheered. Most of the time he looks too angry and serious.

[youtube]WINDtlPXmmE[/youtube]
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE[/url]

Old 02-02-2016, 02:06 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,566,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
How can you mention age when Joe Biden is 73 and Bernie Sanders is 74? I like Bernie, but his demeanor concerns me (as well as some of his policies) so I'm leaning toward Hillary. Sometimes he reminds me of a character in the movie "Network" with Faye Dunaway. Anyone remember that movie? I was in my 20s. I always expect Bernie to suddenly say at the end of a speech "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more," so it was nice to see him smiling last night as his supporters cheered. Most of the time he looks too angry and serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE
Thanks for posting this

Wow so many emotions!!!

And this was 1970s

Still makes so much sense.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:06 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,552,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Have they let us in on the total number of Democratic Caucus voters?
The IDP chair says 171,809.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:12 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,762,438 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE
LMAO, awesome post. It's been years since I've seen that movie, but didn't that man inspire a cult-like following of people going around repeating "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more"? I see a similar cult-like effect with Bernie's followers.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:20 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,552,270 times
Quote:
it was nice to see him smiling last night as his supporters cheered. Most of the time he looks too angry and serious.
I know. I like and admire Bernie but I can't watch him for more than 30 seconds.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:33 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,522,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I know. I like and admire Bernie but I can't watch him for more than 30 seconds.
I feel exactly the same. His nasally whine just grates like nails on a chalkboard. If I had to hear him say "Iower" one more time ... lol. Nitpicky, yes. But his oration skills are just gawdawful.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Quote:
Do they swear? LOL I burst out laughing when one of the young women in a caucus used the *F* word on live TV. I'm wondering if she did it on purpose. I'm surprised cameras are allowed. Isn't voting supposed to be a private matter?

I don't want to be redundant, but as I wrote before, a caucus isn't just time consuming and inconvenient, for many it's not possible. The first thing that came to mind when I learned you need to attend during specific hours was "what do restaurant employees do? Most people eat dinner between 5 and 8. So a server, cashier, cook, etc., can't leave his/her job to sit around for hours and kibitz.

Here's my personal opinion, not based on anything I've read. I saw a lot of young people, maybe college students, on Mon night in Iowa. Bernie Sanders is getting the majority of the college vote. Working moms (or dads) the elderly and others who can't leave their homes on a snowy night to caucus might have voted for Hillary Clinton. So I'll just wait to see what happens in other states.
as for being private, caucus voting is very different from poll booth voting. To answer your question; no!

as for restaurant workers I doubt many had intentions of being delegates, so unless they are worrying about the process, I don't think the rest of us need to worry.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
I am in a similar situation as Oldhag, so are many of my family members. No matter who we are leaning toward, we have second or even third choices on our list. I think many people see the Republican race a choice of more than one possible decent candidate, all with strong points and yes, negatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.