Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2016, 10:01 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,756,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Thanks. Rubio is not my first choice either, but I would vote for him if it came down to him vs one of the two democratic candidates.
You witness how utterly opposite we Americans can lean in these regards, and you've got to wonder why we don't have a choice that seems easier for better-centered moderates to consider.

This choice that seems to be coming down to either Hillary or Sanders vs Trump is in the minds of most Americans a lot like choosing between Heaven and Hell. Surely there is some more comfortable middle ground to consider before we are forced to go one way or the other...

Old 02-14-2016, 10:23 AM

18,483 posts, read 15,279,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You witness how utterly opposite we Americans can lean in these regards, and you've got to wonder why we don't have a choice that seems easier for better-centered moderates to consider.

This choice that seems to be coming down to either Hillary or Sanders vs Trump is in the minds of most Americans a lot like choosing between Heaven and Hell. Surely there is some more comfortable middle ground to consider before we are forced to go one way or the other...
There is no perfect candidate for me. I think one of our biggest problems is the stranglehold that big business has on our government. Sanders and Trump are the only two candidates that are adequately addressing this, and I could never see myself voting for Sanders. Trump is far from perfect, but there is enough that I agree with him about that it makes him my likely first choice. He is someone that I could see being an economic conservative, without being in the pocket of big business, and without having to worry about him making a big fuss about abortion, drug wars, gay marriage, etc. I just wish he would polish his act a little more...but then...he probably wouldn't be getting all the free press he is getting.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:46 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,970,995 times
Quote:

If you consider Rubio to be a moderate, you just need to review his tax plan proposes to eliminate taxes on capital gains, which goes well beyond anything we've seen from previous Republican contenders, even highly conservative candidates. It seems worth adding some numbers on just how much this would be a giveaway to the very, very rich.

The nonpartisan Tax Policy Center crunched the numbers. Half of taxes on dividends and long-term capital gains are paid, not by the 1% , but by the 0.1% -- the richest 1/1000th of Americans. Another 29% are paid by the next 0.9%. The rest of America pays just 21% of the total. That means that eliminating capital gains would blow a big hole in revenues that overwhelmingly favors the very richest.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
There is no perfect candidate for me. I think one of our biggest problems is the stranglehold that big business has on our government. Sanders and Trump are the only two candidates that are adequately addressing this, and I could never see myself voting for Sanders. Trump is far from perfect, but there is enough that I agree with him about that it makes him my likely first choice. He is someone that I could see being an economic conservative, without being in the pocket of big business, and without having to worry about him making a big fuss about abortion, drug wars, gay marriage, etc. I just wish he would polish his act a little more...but then...he probably wouldn't be getting all the free press he is getting.
I do agree there is no perfect candidate, but I am not sure things have changed as much as we think they have over years. I can rarely remember a candidate that was 100 % acceptable to his/her party and I go back a long way. I think we see the bad more than the good because of 24/7 and social media.

I do agree Trump is different and says he isn't in the pocket of big business: as for supporting his candidatecy (spelling) this is probably true but he still can be influenced by his business friends. Don't kid ourselves.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:47 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,787,266 times
No perfect candidate, but I think it's about time to give the other party a chance. Democrat party has already in power for 8 years.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD
You said, "I could never see myself voting for Sanders." Why is that -- what policies does Sanders propose that you disagree with?

Old 02-14-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do agree there is no perfect candidate, but I am not sure things have changed as much as we think they have over years. I can rarely remember a candidate that was 100 % acceptable to his/her party and I go back a long way. I think we see the bad more than the good because of 24/7 and social media.

I do agree Trump is different and says he isn't in the pocket of big business: as for supporting his candidatecy (spelling) this is probably true but he still can be influenced by his business friends. Don't kid ourselves.
I also think that when you reach a certain age, you start to think about what you will be leaving behind...I mean besides money. I'm sure all of the more elder candidates have that in mind, but I think that motivation along with Trump's giant ego might actually be a combination of factors that might actually get things done. And if not, well then we are no worse off than we are now.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You said, "I could never see myself voting for Sanders." Why is that -- what policies does Sanders propose that you disagree with?
I don't even know where to begin, nor do I feel like arguing each point.

Here is a list of his policies, ranging from crazy taxes to allowing undocumented immigrants to take part in Obamacare. You can click on any of the links to get a more in depth look...

https://berniesanders.com/issues/

Old 02-14-2016, 12:25 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,985,742 times
Quote:

You're no moderate. You're a moderate like ~HecateWhisperCat~ is a moderate, like odanny is a moderate.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I don't even know where to begin, nor do I feel like arguing each point.

Here is a list of his policies, ranging from crazy taxes to allowing undocumented immigrants to take part in Obamacare. You can click on any of the links to get a more in depth look...

https://berniesanders.com/issues/
I don't know any crazy tax that he's proposed. The only people who will pay more under Sanders are the very rich. The middle-class might pay more, but that will only occur if they get universal health care passed and then the middle-class wouldn't have to pay insurance premiums.

Bernie would allow immigrants, including undocumented immigrants, to purchase health coverage under the Affordable Care Act. Since undocumented immigrants can't be turned away at hospital ERs, I would rather have them be insured instead of burdening the rest of the health care system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.