Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 05:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,097,923 times

Advertisements

[quote=straight shooter;43098741]I have believed for a while that Trump has many supporters that are closeted. They don't have Trump bumper stickers or yard signs, and refrain from talking about him in public or at work. They fear being labeled or retaliated against. I am sure many government workers, union members and people in areas that are predominantly liberal or hispanic support him but keep it to themselves. I am in Florida where Trump is leading big time yet I hardly ever see a Trump bumper sticker or yard sign and no one talks much about him except in close circles. Its almost like if he hardly existed, yet his rallies, poll numbers, and voting numbers are huge. What are your thoughts on this?[/QUOTEum]

my, what a surprise! We live in AR and haven't seen many bumper stickers period. In fact we haven't seen bumper stickers for years. Here we have seen a few Carson and a few Hillary, but that is all. I am pretty sure Trump supporters are not afraid to come out and praise him in any way they can.

His numbers are very impressive we all agree. Are you forgetting though, a couple of things: 1-as well as he has done and no one can deny he has done well, he is yet to win with the % polls showed he would, indicating the polls are not to believed totally. And 2-you have one candidate running against several, split the votes among the several and the one is bound to do well.

Will he get the nomination or go to the convention in first place, quite possibly. Are his supporters closet, I seriously doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 05:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,097,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
What do you think is the reason for their being less signs this time around?
Well in years past, it has been my experience most people do not put up many yard signs until after the primaries and bumper stickers seem to be a thing of the past. I know, since about 2008 we have seen a lot of signs for local candidates before the primaries, but not a lot of other signs and very few bumper stickers.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:29 AM

26,107 posts, read 22,297,853 times
Quote:
I have believed for a while that Trump has many supporters that are closeted. They don't have Trump bumper stickers or yard signs, and refrain from talking about him in public or at work. They fear being labeled or retaliated against. I am sure many government workers, union members and people in areas that are predominantly liberal or hispanic support him but keep it to themselves. I am in Florida where Trump is leading big time yet I hardly ever see a Trump bumper sticker or yard sign and no one talks much about him except in close circles. Its almost like if he hardly existed, yet his rallies, poll numbers, and voting numbers are huge. What are your thoughts on this?
Many people, especially older people, believe that your vote is private, and they are actually right. Our system was set up that way. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_ballot

I cannot have a Trump bumper sticker or clothing here because I am afraid of what the illegals might do to me or my possessions. All I have to do is go to the website for my county to see who it is that is locked up for criminal activities. I live in a smaller city with a HUGE population of illegals. The area will eventually be more illegals than anyone else if Trump is not elected. Every time Obama opens his mouth about amnesty, the population increases here. I am guessing many of the others that support Trump's stand on illegal immigration are also feeling the negative effects and for everyone else, it is coming to your doorstep if it isn't stopped.

Discussing politics at work is not the best idea and I don't think some governmental offices would tolerate it and probably not many others since it can become a real divider. Many websites won't even allow a discussion that becomes "political".

My father would never tell who he was voting for. He was a WWII veteran. He felt strongly about his rights as an American citizen.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 02-22-2016 at 06:03 AM..

Old 02-22-2016, 05:33 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,249,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Labeled as what?

Racists? Bigots? Country bumpkins? Homophobes? Xenophobes? Low IQ voters?

Labeled as what?

Keep talking! Before the day is over I am sure you will work your magic and sign up a few new Trump supporters! Great job; keep up the good work!

Old 02-22-2016, 05:39 AM

34,299 posts, read 15,724,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Then it should be equally true of Cruz, Rubio, Carson, and Kasich supporters, along Bush and all the other former GOP candidates. There is still a Bush sign down my street, along with some Cruz and Rubio ones. I call bull on this excuse.
OK, So you didn't like that excuse.
How about this one. If there is a bumper sticker on a used car for sale that says Hillary for dog catcher, I would demand a $ 1,000.00 discount. Maybe others see it that way too and don't want to lessen the value of what they want to sell.

On the other hand if it had the Trump Brand people might think there was some gold plating and assume it to be out of their price range which might prevent a sale also.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:01 AM

20,135 posts, read 16,243,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
OK, So you didn't like that excuse.
How about this one. If there is a bumper sticker on a used car for sale that says Hillary for dog catcher, I would demand a $ 1,000.00 discount. Maybe others see it that way too and don't want to lessen the value of what they want to sell.

On the other hand if it had the Trump Brand people might think there was some gold plating and assume it to be out of their price range which might prevent a sale also.
Lol.

Now, does that work for houses too?

Old 02-22-2016, 06:45 AM

15,567 posts, read 10,577,436 times
Quote:
What do you think is the reason for their being less signs this time around?
That is an excellent question. Could this be the reason?

Will 2016 Mark the End of the Lawn Sign? | Campaigns & Elections

The only signs within a mile radius of my house are for some rich tea party guy (with too much time on his hands) running for state office. He's trying to bump the supposed RINO off (who has actually done an excellent job imho).

Old 02-22-2016, 06:47 AM

1,185 posts, read 808,066 times
Quote:
I have believed for a while that Trump has many supporters that are closeted. They don't have Trump bumper stickers or yard signs, and refrain from talking about him in public or at work. They fear being labeled or retaliated against. I am sure many government workers, union members and people in areas that are predominantly liberal or hispanic support him but keep it to themselves. I am in Florida where Trump is leading big time yet I hardly ever see a Trump bumper sticker or yard sign and no one talks much about him except in close circles. Its almost like if he hardly existed, yet his rallies, poll numbers, and voting numbers are huge. What are your thoughts on this?

I believe this and I said it many months ago that a lot of people will never admit to supporting him but while voting they will vote for him

Old 02-22-2016, 06:55 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,757,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Why on Earth would you vote for someone who it embarrasses you to admit you support? That alone seems like it ought to be a clue not to vote for them.
As you know, for a long time, a lot of people here refused to answer the question "who are you voting for", and it's clear they weren't Trump supporters.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:58 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,757,839 times
The NC Primary is on the 15th, and I'm surprised that I haven't seen ANY bumper stickers or yard signs. I really chalk that up to the theory that most people don't really get worked up about the Presidential election until it's down to the general election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections