Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:28 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

Is it right to expose gay politicians who vote against gay equality? If you say that being gay should be "a private matter", ask yourself this: If the news media knew that a politician was cheating on his wife, should they report it? Would it matter if it's a Democrat or a Republican?

-----------------------------------------------------------
from latimes.com:

I know what you're thinking. If you've seen the film, spill it already. So who does he out? Dick's targets include Florida's current governor, Charlie Crist, who was viewed for a time as a front-runner to be John McCain's vice-presidential pick; David Dreier (R-San Dimas), who was once a leading candidate for the House majority leader post when the Republicans still controlled Congress; Ken Mehlman, George Bush's campaign manager during the 2004 election and former Republican National Committee chairman; former New York City mayor Ed Koch; the now-retired Idaho Sen. Larry Craig; Jim McCrery (R-La.), a ranking member on the House Ways and Means Committee who retired last year; Ed Schrock (R-Va.), who retired in 2004; and -- gasp -- the prominent Fox News anchor Shepard Smith.

'Outrage': Kirby Dick kicks open Washington's closet door | The Big Picture | Los Angeles Times

Movie preview here: Outrage - In Theatres May 8th
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 04:39 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Yes, it is right to expose gay politicians who vote against gay issues and also to expose hypocrisy in any public official of any party.

Right now our government is full of hypocrisy due to the influence of the religious right (RR) who've set themselves up as a power broker with a bloc of votes, but the votes only go to whomever toes their line of thought and kowtows to RR bigwigs.

This exerts an undue influence on countless public officials who put on a facade to match the expectations of the RR, but when behind closed doors these public officials are anything but what the RR wants, and that includes members of the RR (Rev Ted, Swaggart, George Rekers, et al).

Worse, the influence of the RR amounts to a violation of the separation of church and state, under no circumstances should any levels of our governments be writing laws or policy to please the RR, or the Jewish, or the Muslims, of the Hindus, or the Buddhists, or the Rastafarians, or the Mormons, or the Christian Scientists, or the Seventh Day Adventists, or the Scientologists, or the Catholics, or the Sikhs, or the Taliban, or the ..........

I'm dead set against the influence of ANY religion on our public officials, laws and policies, and I strongly wish for as much transparency as possible.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-07-2011 at 09:36 AM..

Old 05-12-2009, 04:53 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
I didn't click on the link, but in the blurb that you provided, I only saw republicans, no closeted liberal pols? Oh, and I'll see you Shep Smith and raise you an Anderson Cooper.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:58 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I didn't click on the link, but in the blurb that you provided, I only saw republicans, no closeted liberal pols? Oh, and I'll see you Shep Smith and raise you an Anderson Cooper.
Anderson Cooper is no big secret. If he went back in the closet, he left the door open.

Koch didn't change parties did he?

Old 05-12-2009, 04:59 PM

Charlie Crist is so popular, would he lose if he did come out?

Old 05-12-2009, 05:00 PM

I do lean toward outing them, especially if they've worked against gay rights in the past. I would think that even someone who is anti-gay would want to know who is gay and who is straight. Our sexual orientation has a profound affect on how we experience our lives and the world around us.

Joe The Plumber recently said he wouldn't want "qu-eers" around his kids. He's an example of someone who is anti-gay and would probably appreciate this film.

It's interesting how "outing" a person can be seen as an anti-gay thing to do.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:00 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,860 times
I have no issue with it. In the end it works out best for the person anyway. Its a big weight off their shoulders to no longer live a lie. It's sad that a person feels compelled to live in the closet anyway, it should have no impact on what they do in their professional lives.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Is it right to expose gay politicians who vote against gay equality? If you say that being gay should be "a private matter", ask yourself this: If the news media knew that a politician was cheating on his wife, should they report it? Would it matter if it's a Democrat or a Republican?

-----------------------------------------------------------
from latimes.com:

I know what you're thinking. If you've seen the film, spill it already. So who does he out? Dick's targets include Florida's current governor, Charlie Crist, who was viewed for a time as a front-runner to be John McCain's vice-presidential pick; David Dreier (R-San Dimas), who was once a leading candidate for the House majority leader post when the Republicans still controlled Congress; Ken Mehlman, George Bush's campaign manager during the 2004 election and former Republican National Committee chairman; former New York City mayor Ed Koch; the now-retired Idaho Sen. Larry Craig; Jim McCrery (R-La.), a ranking member on the House Ways and Means Committee who retired last year; Ed Schrock (R-Va.), who retired in 2004; and -- gasp -- the prominent Fox News anchor Shepard Smith.

'Outrage': Kirby Dick kicks open Washington's closet door | The Big Picture | Los Angeles Times

Movie preview here: Outrage - In Theatres May 8th
Charles Crist is married..

I'll stop here, because the first two just discredited the whole posting and I'm only going to hear.. "that doesnt mean they arent gay"... Um, yeah it does.. by definition..

Old 05-12-2009, 05:02 PM

What? Gays can't marry women? Are you naive?

Last edited by Sagran; 05-12-2009 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: Better choice of words

Old 05-12-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Ed Koch is a Democrat, for one.

And secondly, of course you'll find more closeted Republicans. No shock there. The GOP has made it clear that they are not gay-friendly, or at the very least, that a person's homosexuality should be a "private matter", that is, that gay Republicans should remain in the closet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies