Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 10:03 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
1. If Trump's slogan is "Make America Great Again," are we to infer that America is not currently great? If so, when WAS is great? Could you give me a year or time period and explain why? What makes the country NOT great?

For your information, it is often the LIBERALS who complain that America is not the greatest nation in the world.

Does a great country ignore its own laws (like the immigration law) and tear its Constitution to pieces?

Are people threatened, fired, attacked, belittled and ripped to shreds for having differing opinions in a great country?

Do illegal immigrants stream over the border at will in a great country?

Are 151 million people on the government dole in a great country?

2. I am American but I'm currently living and working in SE Asia. I regularly interact with other SE Asians, Australians, Middle Easterners and Europeans and everyone of them I've met think that he's a joke and that Americans would be nuts to vote for him. Does that worry you?

No, and I can't wait for Donald Trump to whoop their ass and let them know who is the boss.
1. Am I to assume that you do not think America is great? Could you give me a time period when it was?
2. How do you define "whoop their ass?" Do you mean economically? Militarily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 10:06 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,639,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
1. Am I to assume that you do not think America is great? Could you give me a time period when it was?
2. How do you define "whoop their ass?" Do you mean economically? Militarily?
well, I think this country is the greatest nation on earth, but no, I don't think this country has reached full potential. No I don't.

Economically (whoop their ass), militarily (when it is absolutely necessary)

Not really rocket science.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:31 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,191,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
1.) 1965 to 1975 is one period. I know there are others. When manufacturing was king and a person could get a job after high school and live a nice middle class existence. I picked this period because of my age and familiarity with those times. Trump mentions bringing back manufacturing and penalizing those that don't. Every 4 years the democrats bring up tax breaks for companies that take jobs over seas and then never mention it again for 4 more years. How many times did Hillary mention it in 2008? Every campaign stop?

As much as I want that to happen, manufacturing is not returning to the US for the foreseeable future. At some point, China might become too expensive to outsource manufacturing but there will always be other contenders where labor would be 5-10x cheaper than US. Also, do understand the manufacturing is a shrinking industry due to use of technology and robotics. Jobs that required 10 individuals 40 years ago, now only requires 5 guys. This will shrink further so there is no need to chase manufacturing jobs. The government should focus on service industry which have grown significantly over the past 20+ years and dominates the workforce. Look at India, where service industry has had a profound impact on their employment and economy.

One more point - consider that US is not just outsourcing manufacturing but also its pollution. A lot of activities outsourced are ones that are highly polluting and hence outsourced to countries who would do it not because they don't understand the pollution but they need it in spite due to their poor economic conditions. Thank the Asian countries for the clean air we can breathe here in the US.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
America is a great nation, no doubt. But do understand that in terms of economics, it can remain #1 only for so long. The #1 baton has been passed too many times in the past 2000 years. Who would have thought India was the richest country 1000 years ago, and look where they are today. Look at where UK was 250 years ago and where they are now?

Old 02-29-2016, 11:45 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,185,349 times
Quote:
1. If Trump's slogan is "Make America Great Again,"....
It's just a slogan, but it's brilliant because it allows everyone to derive their own meaning.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:22 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, I think this country is the greatest nation on earth, but no, I don't think this country has reached full potential. No I don't.

Economically (whoop their ass), militarily (when it is absolutely necessary)

Not really rocket science.
You say that you think that this country has not reached its full potential, once again, can I assume that you think it never reached its full potential in the past either? I'm perplexed.

Can you give me a time period when the US was "great" or at its "full potential."

Old 03-01-2016, 02:06 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,282,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I do not see that at all. I have observed Trump's interactions with people of all types, and I have been doing so for years. I do not see this 'WASP supremacy' that you speak of. In fact, I think that such claims are distortions and fabrications, whether out of ignorance or intent I cannot say.

No, you are putting words in my mouth that I did not say. I did not apply blame, and an inference that I did is either a comprehension problem or an intentional distortion. I pointed out elements that contribute to the overall problem.

I understand a great deal, and primarily that attempts to point a finger at one person or issue as a focus of 'blame' are short-sighted and or disingenuous, at best.

The greater bulk of my life and work has, as its common base, involved the observation of cause and effect and discerning patterns, from the very first time I stuck a piece of model RR track directly into the wall socket to see what was there that made the train go when I was about 6 years old, to troubleshooting complex electronic systems, my work in the military and certain areas involving National Defense projects, law enforcement and investigations, To running/managing businesses, and currently to agricultural pursuits. All of these things boil down to a commonality- that of being a detective, observing cause and effect, and discerning patterns.

A country such as the US is an extremely complex system, made up of smaller systems that interact with each other and influence each other. Such interactions can have both intended and unintended consequences, which may or may not be predictable. Attempting to blame all ills on a single individual or event is simplistic and detrimental to an extreme.

That might be the most accurate statement you've made here. What matters most is that it is an identifiable problem, that has a solution that can be implemented. Correcting the issue will certainly not solve all of the problems but it would be foolish to not implement controls simply because it won't cure *everything*.

I don't consider myself to be 'racist', I have worked with all kinds of people from many different areas, cultures and countries. People are people, and once you get beyond superficial differences they are more alike than not. They have similar goals, dreams and desires, they have similar wants and needs, they are susceptible to the same influences (both good and bad). The desire for comfort and pleasure knows no race or color, neither does the desire for power and control.

I have seen no sign of 'racism' from Trump, in fact, in enterprises as large as his it would be detrimental to his organizations and his success- he simply cannot afford to be 'racist'.

What I *do* see, is signs of people attempting to paint him as 'racist', either out of ignorance or dishonesty.

Does the idea of building a barrier across the southern border make him 'racist'? Of course not. The southern border is porous, drugs, criminals and others attempting to enter the country in ways contrary to the legal method flow across it, that is a FACT. That is the border with Mexico, and the bulk of the people coming across are Mexican...that is also a FACT, but that fact is not relevant- it is the illegal activity that is relevant, and the curtailing of it that is important, not the color or nationality of those committing the illegal acts.

If coyotes are killing my chickens, and I put up a fence and shoot a few coyotes, does that make me an animal hater? No, it just means that I want to stop coyotes from killing my chickens.
I think you've pretty much described yourself, in many ways.

Listen, trump is a racist. That fact that you choose to not see it doesn't mean it isn't true. His dad was in the kkk. He singles out muslims and Mexicans, when in reality, wasps have done more to damage the US than any other group. In fact there are lots of groups causing the US's downfall but, he doesn't mention those. He's also not a conservative. Been married 3x, bankrupt 4x, never been to church before 2015, probably doesn't believe in God, and ran the miss america pageant (which is all about vanity, lust, and fornication). There's nothing conservative about him. Which leads back to his white supremacist beliefs being at the core of his right wing popularity. No it's not ignorance to paint trump as a racist. He has been sued multiple times for racial discrimination. Also, just cause one works with the race they hate doesn't mean they aren't racist...look at the plantation owners.

Far as not placing blame on individuals, well, if Bush couldn't take the heat maybe he should have stayed out of the kitchen. If your candidate doesn't want to accept responsibility then he's not a good leader and he's not fit to be potus.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:29 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,639,726 times
Quote:
You say that you think that this country has not reached its full potential, once again, can I assume that you think it never reached its full potential in the past either? I'm perplexed.

Can you give me a time period when the US was "great" or at its "full potential."
No I've already answered your question.

I was born in year 1985, and I don't know what time period when the U.S. was great. Not sure why do you keep on asking me this question when I have answered your question.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:36 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,210,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post

It's worth noting that Ted Cruz also sort of has this appeal, but he's clearly not as successful. This is in part due to his creepy face....
oh

Old 03-01-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I think you've pretty much described yourself, in many ways.

Listen, trump is a racist. That fact that you choose to not see it doesn't mean it isn't true. His dad was in the kkk. He singles out muslims and Mexicans, when in reality, wasps have done more to damage the US than any other group. In fact there are lots of groups causing the US's downfall but, he doesn't mention those. He's also not a conservative. Been married 3x, bankrupt 4x, never been to church before 2015, probably doesn't believe in God, and ran the miss america pageant (which is all about vanity, lust, and fornication). There's nothing conservative about him. Which leads back to his white supremacist beliefs being at the core of his right wing popularity. No it's not ignorance to paint trump as a racist. He has been sued multiple times for racial discrimination. Also, just cause one works with the race they hate doesn't mean they aren't racist...look at the plantation owners.

Far as not placing blame on individuals, well, if Bush couldn't take the heat maybe he should have stayed out of the kitchen. If your candidate doesn't want to accept responsibility then he's not a good leader and he's not fit to be potus.
well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections