Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 06:19 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,932 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I asked these questions in the election forum and it seems like everyone went off topic. Unfortunately, it caused the thread to get shut down. I'm trying to start a civilized debate about the man who may actually win the presidency.

I just have a few questions and comments to make and I hope that the Trump supporters on this site will answer or comment on what I've said/asked. I promise to engage you in civilized discussion and I hope that everyone else participating will do the same.

1. If Trump's slogan is "Make America Great Again," are we to infer that America is not currently great? If so, when WAS is great? Could you give me a year or time period and explain why? What makes the country NOT great?
2. I am American but I'm currently living and working in SE Asia. I regularly interact with other SE Asians, Australians, Middle Easterners and Europeans and everyone of them I've met think that he's a joke and that Americans would be nuts to vote for him. Does that worry you?
3. What plans has he laid out that will improve the condition of the country? How can he do a better job than Obama?
4. Do you think he has a better chance against Hillary or Bernie? Why?
5. Who do you think he should choose as his VP if he gets the nomination? Why?
6. Does his lack of political experience worry you? He claims he's going to do a lot, but he'll get nothing done if without Congress.
7. If he gets elected, what would be his legacy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 06:44 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,255,245 times
Good questions. Since I am far from a Trump supporter, I'll sit back and read.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:32 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,049,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
Hello everyone! I asked these questions in the election forum and it seems like everyone went off topic. Unfortunately, it caused the thread to get shut down. I'm trying to start a civilized debate about the man who may actually win the presidency.

I just have a few questions and comments to make and I hope that the Trump supporters on this site will answer or comment on what I've said/asked. I promise to engage you in civilized discussion and I hope that everyone else participating will do the same.

1. If Trump's slogan is "Make America Great Again," are we to infer that America is not currently great? If so, when WAS is great? Could you give me a year or time period and explain why? What makes the country NOT great?
2. I am American but I'm currently living and working in SE Asia. I regularly interact with other SE Asians, Australians, Middle Easterners and Europeans and everyone of them I've met think that he's a joke and that Americans would be nuts to vote for him. Does that worry you?
3. What plans has he laid out that will improve the condition of the country? How can he do a better job than Obama?
4. Do you think he has a better chance against Hillary or Bernie? Why?
5. Who do you think he should choose as his VP if he gets the nomination? Why?
6. Does his lack of political experience worry you? He claims he's going to do a lot, but he'll get nothing done if without Congress.
7. If he gets elected, what would be his legacy?
I'm not a Trump supporter either but the phrase "Make America Great Again" means that some people want to see the White Anglo Saxon Protestants (WASPS) in charge of this country.
They believe that blacks, like the President, browns, women, gays, and liberals are too much in control of this nation.
They want to see white conservatives back in complete control. That is one of the reasons why he appeals to the white bigots - like the KKK.
In '12, the ONLY group that the Republicans appealed to in the majority, were white males over the age of 40. Since then, they have done practically nothing to appeal to other groups.
If Trump is the Republican nominee, I would find it VERY hard to believe that he would be elected President. Even the Republican establishment doesn't want him as the nominee.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:41 AM

59 posts, read 65,932 times
I've noticed that Trump supporters are commenting less and less on these "rational" Trump threads. Telling?

Old 02-28-2016, 07:50 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,932 times
In previous forum, I was scolded by a number of posters telling me my questions are loaded. I fully admitted that I have voted for Bernie (absentee ballot) and that I do not like Trump. However, I feel that my questions are pretty fair. Honestly, how is it "loaded" to ask someone when "American was great" or who the ideal VP might be. Only one person answered all of the questions, but even he/she missed a few parts of the longer questions. This is frustrating.

I sincerely want to know what Trump voters think about these topics.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...upporters.html

Old 02-28-2016, 09:54 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,099,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurPan View Post
I've noticed that Trump supporters are commenting less and less on these "rational" Trump threads. Telling?
It's because Trump's appeal is not based in reason. Both he and Bernie represent anti-establishment in both parties. Bernie, because he's not bought out and frankly goes beyond what the typical establishment Democrat is willing to fight for and Trump because he's not a politician and sort of just says whatever.

But Trumps support is not based in reason. It's not that there aren't reasonable reasons to vote for him, but overall, his appeal is based on his energy. He has an intensity and a "**** you" sort of vibe about him that people are attracted to.

It's also noted that people are pretty upset. We live in a really politically divisive time, so when a guy like Trump shows up, people are drawn to him because he stands out. The content of what he's saying is actually largely irrelevant. The rhetoric and vigor is what gets his appeal.

It's worth noting that Ted Cruz also sort of has this appeal, but he's clearly not as successful. This is in part due to his creepy face, but also the fact that he's not actually trained for this. Look at our political system. The 'debates' are set up like reality TV shows. Donald Trump is a reality TV star. Trump is in his element, Ted Cruz is not. This is why more serious politicians, like John Kasich or Jeb Bush, don't seem to pose much of a threat to Donald. They're too old school where as Donald know show to play the game. The ball's in his court, so to speak.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:17 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,001,647 times
Good piece on Donald Trump by Matt Taibbi in Rolling Stone.

Taibbi is not a Trump supporter, so I was surprised at how often he said that Trump was right in some of the things he was saying.

I like how Trump is shaking up the Republican ruling elite. I could get behind him (And I'm not a Republican), but I can't get past the gigantic ego.

_

Old 02-28-2016, 10:51 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,661,041 times
I'm an undecided voter.
But might vote for Trump, more as an FU to both political parties.
I'll try to answer your questions...
1. Make America Great Again, I believe is just another political slogan, depending upon who you are, America is great now, has never been great, was great right after and during WWII, was great as it was expanding across the continent. It all depends I guess on your personal situation. In my lifetime (1960-Present) the best I've seen the country and this is my personal opinion was during the Clinton Administration, robust economy, good jobs, no wars.. I personally could care less if he was doing every skirt in Washington S long as he did a good job for me.....
2. I don't care what a foreigner thinks. Everyone thinks Putin is nuts, and he seems to get done what his people want, Trump even looks a little like Putin in cocky rooster kind of way.
3. Immigration. I'm against immigration of any kind unless the unemployment rate is sub 4%
This is my belief for good jobs, the trades are quickly dying because of immigrant labor doing the work for 1970's wages today. The labor savings aren't being passed to the customer, but being pocketed by CEO's and other fat cats ( of which Trump is one)
4. I think Hillary will win the Democratic Nomination and the Presidency, Trump's appeal is limited to about half the republicans, enough to get the nomination, but not win in a general election.
I think Trump will pick a popular conservative as his VP possibly a Lady Governor...
6. He will soon see that America is not ran like a Corporation where you can be a Dictator...
7. Way to early to tell what his legacy would be, as I said I don't think he can beat Hillary
Again this all just personal opinion, and means nothing.....

Old 02-28-2016, 10:52 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,565,921 times
My question for Trump supporters...

If the Donald wins in November, would it be wise to invest in Trump wigs?

I'm thinking they'd be a big seller around Halloween.

So, whaddya think?

Old 02-28-2016, 10:59 AM

964 posts, read 995,767 times
A female Donald? A terrifying image!

#7. He's not going to get elected, so he'll leave no legacy, thank God! But I think the Republican Party needs to do some deep self-reflection to figure out how they got to such a point that he's the leading candidate, and what they need to do to get back on track. That is one very lost Party, at this point. Though I think the Democrats need to foster more talent, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections