Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 04:15 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,852,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
A lot of those diagnostic tests do more harm than good especially when done often or in young people but this is probably not the right thread to discuss this.

I have had doctors' offices make me sign papers for refusing to take them. Some doctors are more understandable than others but I do feel they are testing less than lets say 20 years ago, thank God.

The threat of malpractice requires MDs to over prescribe tests and treatments to prevent lawsuits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 04:30 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,992,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
That is because US health insurance does not operate within a free market system. ALL health insurance is regulated at the state and now federal level. This regulation stifles free market principles of competition.

As the US regressively moves to "single payer," those nations who are living the failure of it are seeing an expansion of the private health insurance market within their countries. Now, those with money are seeking private coverage so they get quicker and better treatment.
Thats another myth. There is overwhelming support among the people for their national health care systems. In Canada, almost 90% do not want more privatization of the system. Do you know how many people in America support the current system which IS the most privatized health system in the world?

Keep in mind, every country with a national health care system has a substantial private health care system as well. Many right wingers live under the illusion that a national health care system means a ban on all private options. I think people get this impression because of the massive scaremongering propaganda about "socialized medicine".

Like it or not, America will soon go bankrupt because of the current massively inefficient system as eat continues to eat up a larger and larger share of the economic output of America, so we will have to move towards a national health care system sooner rather than later anyway.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:39 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,292,384 times
This is a comparison of what Trump says he's going to do on the stump vs what's actually in the so-called plan.

Trump's health care plan: What he promises and what it really says - Mar. 3, 2016

As for larger questions about health insurance that are also being discussed, I think we should add a public option to the ACA. If it works well and people are happy with it, then more and more people will sign up for it and we'll end up with de facto single payer. But people would have the choice. I know many people who shop around for health insurance looking for specific benefits that matter to them, and one size does not fit all.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:45 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,715,224 times
Quote:
Die, Trump will just make sure they are removed from the sidewalks before they die. Trump will not let anyone die in the streets.
No, he'll leave them on the sidewalks, it is just the streets where he doesn't want people to die.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:46 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,715,224 times
Quote:
Die, Trump will just make sure they are removed from the sidewalks before they die. Trump will not let anyone die in the streets.
No, he'll leave them on the sidewalks, it is just the streets where he doesn't want people to die.

And, aren't a lot of these things already in place? Or am I confusing 'normal' healthcare with obamacare?

Old 03-03-2016, 06:50 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,852,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Thats another myth. There is overwhelming support among the people for their national health care systems. In Canada, almost 90% do not want more privatization of the system. Do you know how many people in America support the current system which IS the most privatized health system in the world?

Keep in mind, every country with a national health care system has a substantial private health care system as well. Many right wingers live under the illusion that a national health care system means a ban on all private options. I think people get this impression because of the massive scaremongering propaganda about "socialized medicine".

Like it or not, America will soon go bankrupt because of the current massively inefficient system as eat continues to eat up a larger and larger share of the economic output of America, so we will have to move towards a national health care system sooner rather than later anyway.
If people want to pay for government run Health Insurance, go for it, just don't use my money to fund it. I will keep that money to pay for private insurance. Oh, and if the government intends to compete with private insurers, then the government cannot FIX the market by forcing onerus regulations on the market to give the government an unfair advantage.

Problem solved. Everyone who wants government health insurance can pay the taxes for it and everyone who opts out does not pay taxes towards government healthcare.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:58 AM

37,961 posts, read 17,937,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Oh, I keep hearing from older people that they love their Medicare . . . but what do I know, I am not there yet. But please do elaborate why it doesn't work.
Agreed you don't know. Nothing or Medicare, which works better?

Quote:
What I was saying is that because of the super low reimbursement rates and compliance and administrative headache, most decent doctors and private hospitals do not accept Medicaid. A municipal hospital is often times your best (only) option with Medicaid. It sucks big time.
I understood which is why I added
As far as Medicaid also the administrative requirements of accepting public insurance, doctors sometimes just don’t want the hassle.

So the elder love Medicaid, yet decent doctors and hospitals don't accept it? Yea that makes sense.
Quote:
Not following you . . . . I wasn't aware that employer-based private insurance has contained healthcare cost anywhere reasonable over the last few decades. What competition? They engage in quasi-collusion.
Again because of government involvement which has caused prices to rise.

Quote:
Clearly, single payor would have issues, but with so many First World countries having implementing it over many decades ago, the system could work without bankrupting the country. Hence, it is absurd to say NO kind of single payor system would work.
Yet so far it hasn't worked. What more do you need? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting different results.

Quote:
Who administers the Indian Healthcare Services? BIA? That's it.

Mick
Dept of the Interior

Old 03-04-2016, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livejack View Post
3.Allow individuals to fully deduct health insurance premium payments from their tax returns under the current tax system. Businesses are allowed to take these deductions so why wouldn’t Congress allow individuals the same exemptions? As we allow the free market to provide insurance coverage opportunities to companies and individuals, we must also make sure that no one slips through the cracks simply because they cannot afford insurance. We must review basic options for Medicaid and work with states to ensure that those who want healthcare coverage can have it.

How does this change anything? Unless you have a home mortgage or yuge medical or catastrophic losses of some kind, itemizing for health care costs is less than the standard deduction.
Gee where have I heard that before?
Ron Paul -Change the tax code to allow individual Americans to fully deduct all health care costs from their taxes.

Health Care

Boobus had their chance instead they went with Barrack Hussein Romney.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post

So go with a national health care system even though it's been government which has caused the price of insurance as well as the cost of the actual care to rise? Now you're thinking.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:47 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,745,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Yet so far it hasn't worked. What more do you need? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting different results.
Are you saying that out of all the countries that have implemented a national healthcare system none have worked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections