Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2016, 01:13 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,826,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
kiss my ass with those subsidies...thats no different than buying something for $100 and getting a $20 mail in rebate 6 months later (if youre lucky)..........Find me a plan under $75 a month and less than $1000 Deductible and my interest is piqued.....even then im probably still not gonna buy, simply for the principle of the government sayin I have to......
Would you go for one around $100-$150 a month (subsidies applied) with no deductibles? Thats the range I'm meaning. You now see the ripoff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 01:36 AM

891 posts, read 1,057,612 times
Or how bout Hillary moves to the left and adopts Bernie's plan? then we aint gotta worry bout any GOP plans cause Hillary is more than likely gonna win whether any of us like it or not!!......

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-03-2016 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 03-03-2016, 01:46 AM

891 posts, read 1,057,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Would you go for one around $100-$150 a month (subsidies applied) with no deductibles? Thats the range I'm meaning. You now see the ripoff?

I cant tell if youre bein sarcastic or not....but yes, with NO deductible I would be willing to pay $100-150 a month.......If I pay $150/MO and dont have to worry about deductibles and Co-Pays, health Insurance would start to be worth it.......Still wont participate with the mandate in place however.........NO SUBSIDIES, whats the fascination with Subsidies? Id rather just pay $80/MO instead of $100/MO and get back $240 come Tax season!!

Old 03-03-2016, 02:02 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,983,373 times
We have to move to a single payer system sooner rather than later anyway because health care costs are now a whooping 18% of GDP and increasing fast. We are going bankrupt as long as we allow parasitic health care companies to rip off the taxpayer.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:19 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,304,530 times
Quote:
Or how bout Hillary moves to the left and adopts Bernie's plan? then we aint gotta worry bout any GOP plans cause Hillary is more than likely gonna win whether any of us like it or not!!......
Hillary has IOU's to pay and none of them have the middle or lower classes names on them.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:50 AM

9,397 posts, read 14,345,087 times
In my view, the main benefit of a single-payer system is the peace of mind, even if false, it brings to every citizen. That in itself is worth a lot.

The relative simplicity is also worth a lot.

I think the main risk of a single-payer system is incentives for medical research. Certainly there is a lot of medical innovation coming out of countries like UK and France, but some claim that they piggy-back off of research spending in the US. Who knows?

But even then, I was just reading that some Americans and western Europeans went to the country of Georgia (ex-Soviet Union, not the US state) for treatment against an antibiotic-resistant bacteria, with success by the way. So it seems evident that even in non-market system countries people must have incentives to do meaningful medical research.

So while I prefer free market competition in most areas of the body social, perhaps medical care is not one of them, perhaps it could be considered a public utility, at least when it comes to basic care for everyone (citizens and legal residents).

Again, peace of mind and social peace are worth a lot.

And the funding comes through income tax, it is not employer-related (utterly ridiculous burden on businesses, only in the US).

And make no mistake, even in single-payer medical care countries, there is a parallel private system for the wealthy who want more than the basics at fast speed.

Finally, as mentioned many times, Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) have been around for a long time. The only innovation I see in this plan concerns deductibility of premiums: currently only the self-employed who file a Schedule C (active businesses) can deduct the premiums, while other self-employed/retirees who, for example, file schedules D and E (passive investments), and not a schedule C, cannot deduct the premiums; the plan seems to indicate that everyone could deduct the premiums, employees, active self-employed, passive investors.

Peace of mind, then.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-03-2016 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 03-03-2016, 03:20 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,826,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
We have to move to a single payer system sooner rather than later anyway because health care costs are now a whooping 18% of GDP and increasing fast. We are going bankrupt as long as we allow parasitic health care companies to rip off the taxpayer.
Yep, there is a tipping point beyond which the US will no longer be able to afford the current system. I don't know what that point is, probably 20% or so.

And when that point is reached, it won't matter how much people scream about socialized medical care, etc some variation of a national health care system will be implemented else the whole thing will crash.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:35 AM

9,016 posts, read 13,864,216 times
If we do not require people to buy insurance,and they do not want it,then those same people cannot complain when the ER refuses to treat them.

Why do we expect hospitals to treat people for free?
The workers have to be paid too.

DO we expect car mechanics to fix broken cars for free? NO
So why are hospitals any different?

People should be require to buy health insurance.

YOu have to buy car insurance,so why not something more important like health?

I say revoke EMTALA.

Do not want to buy inusrance?
You want to play with fire(in this case your health) do not complain when you get burned(in which case the ER turns you away for lack of pay)

Old 03-03-2016, 03:43 AM

9,016 posts, read 13,864,216 times
Quote:
Why would I file for bankruptcy for one unpaid ER visit bill? lmao......

And sorry but yea, as long as theres a law that says im required to spend money every month on somethin I'll more than likely never even need to use, but when I do, I gotta pay a **** ton more to use it...no ****in thanks!!......I probably wouldnt buy insurance even without the mandate, but I would def. be more receptive to the idea as I get older.....but as long as im required to, I WONT...even if the mandate is still in place 40 yrs from now.....so, Youre welcome!!
Well great.

When you get in a car accident and need ER care,do not expect us ER staff to treat and stablize you.

BYE now.

See yah!

REvoke EMTALA

Old 03-03-2016, 05:13 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,861,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Where are self-employed people going to get healthcare? Health insurance pre-ACA was priced out of reach for individuals who are independent contractors, which was one of the problems to begin with. The only place I can see that his so-called plan even vaguely addresses that is in this line:

"As we allow the free market to provide insurance coverage opportunities to companies and individuals, we must also make sure that no one slips through the cracks simply because they cannot afford insurance."

Nicely vague. No indication of HOW will he make sure "no one slips through the cracks simply because they cannot afford insurance."

Basically he is simply repealing the ACA and doing absolutely nothing to address any of the real problems that were addressed in the law.

What a crock of ****.

Vague is the definitive word for any so-called 'plan' of his!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections