Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:22 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,191,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Anytime the government gets out of something, the costs go UP. They don't start to go down until the government gets involved again. If you don't believe me, look at the electricity market in California.
Electricity markets are not free markets, and in no way shape or form does government get "not involved"

Guess Who Openly Admits That Gov’t Intervention Increases Prices? Joe Biden | TheBlaze.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
What a pure conservative idea to eliminate the state lines!!

So, Mr. Trump wants the Federal government to prohibit the States from enacting their own insurance regulations for their own residents? You cannot be serious, what happened to Federalism? Justice iScalia is rolling under a pillow in his grave.

Mick
Thats not what he says.. he says states should be able to establish regulations and other companies, from other states, willing to comply with those regulations should be allowed to compete..

comprehension, try it..

Old 03-02-2016, 09:24 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,212,036 times
Quote:
Here it is. I know everybody has been waiting for it:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positio...lthcare-reform

The seven basic points:

Congress must act. Our elected representatives in the House and Senate must:

1.Completely repeal Obamacare. Our elected representatives must eliminate the individual mandate. No person should be required to buy insurance unless he or she wants to.

2.Modify existing law that inhibits the sale of health insurance across state lines. As long as the plan purchased complies with state requirements, any vendor ought to be able to offer insurance in any state. By allowing full competition in this market, insurance costs will go down and consumer satisfaction will go up.

3.Allow individuals to fully deduct health insurance premium payments from their tax returns under the current tax system. Businesses are allowed to take these deductions so why wouldn’t Congress allow individuals the same exemptions? As we allow the free market to provide insurance coverage opportunities to companies and individuals, we must also make sure that no one slips through the cracks simply because they cannot afford insurance. We must review basic options for Medicaid and work with states to ensure that those who want healthcare coverage can have it.

4.Allow individuals to use Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). Contributions into HSAs should be tax-free and should be allowed to accumulate. These accounts would become part of the estate of the individual and could be passed on to heirs without fear of any death penalty. These plans should be particularly attractive to young people who are healthy and can afford high-deductible insurance plans. These funds can be used by any member of a family without penalty. The flexibility and security provided by HSAs will be of great benefit to all who participate.

5.Require price transparency from all healthcare providers, especially doctors and healthcare organizations like clinics and hospitals. Individuals should be able to shop to find the best prices for procedures, exams or any other medical-related procedure.

6.Block-grant Medicaid to the states. Nearly every state already offers benefits beyond what is required in the current Medicaid structure. The state governments know their people best and can manage the administration of Medicaid far better without federal overhead. States will have the incentives to seek out and eliminate fraud, waste and abuse to preserve our precious resources.

7.Remove barriers to entry into free markets for drug providers that offer safe, reliable and cheaper products. Congress will need the courage to step away from the special interests and do what is right for America. Though the pharmaceutical industry is in the private sector, drug companies provide a public service. Allowing consumers access to imported, safe and dependable drugs from overseas will bring more options to consumers.
Sound fairly good. It should include the right to die for those who have terminal illness, or over age 70. Some old people would rather die painlessly than go though life perlonging interventions. It would greatly cut Medicare costs!

All healthcare providers should be mandated to honor DNR and no CPR requests and these should apply to any hospital or healthcare facility in any state by written statement, or in a will.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:26 PM

37,963 posts, read 17,905,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's not evident from the examples in other modern countries, which have extensive government involvement and are ALL far less expensive than ours, with better medical results.
The actual procedure in America is one of the best. Costs are the problem.
In our country it has been proven, time and time again, costs have gone up when government gets involved. All one has to do is look at Obamacare as an example. Or under Reagan when the Drug Price Competition and Patent Term Restoration Act permitted the extension of patents beyond 20 years.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:27 PM

952 posts, read 519,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
I don't know, taking a deduction at a 28% Federal marginal income bracket is a small drop in the bucket, considering the massive cost of health insurance . . . . especially the lower and lower-middle class people. A deduction for people who don't pay income tax (47% per Mitt) is worth $0 to them.

Or is he saying "tax credits" instead of a deduction? Kinda like Obamacare subsidies?

Mick
Looks like a case for the SCOTUS to me!

Old 03-02-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Get health insurance company profit margins out of healthcare and costs go down. Provide preventative medicine and costs go down.
not really.. "profits" are just replaced with "taxes", and the government sees an easy way to raise revenues by raisign "taxes"

Old 03-02-2016, 09:34 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,135,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats not what he says.. he says states should be able to establish regulations and other companies, from other states, willing to comply with those regulations should be allowed to compete..

comprehension, try it..
That's exactly the current regulatory scheme . . . . Oh my God, read what you wrote. "comprehension, try it" Why don't you, sausage finger lover.

Mick

Old 03-02-2016, 09:38 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,985,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
ANYTHING is still better than a law that requires Americans to purchase something......get rid of the mandate and Im fine with everything else, but you "require" me to buy something? nope, kiss my ass! It's the most un-American law ever made....
I would rather say f it and just take the shot to my credit score to be honest.....[/b]
Of course, Just declare bankruptcy. Trump says that's the American way, he has done it 4 times himself. In the meantime the rest of us will be enjoying our higher premiums thanks to people like you.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:39 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,135,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
ANYTHING is still better than a law that requires Americans to purchase something......get rid of the mandate and Im fine with everything else, but you "require" me to buy something? nope, kiss my ass! It's the most un-American law ever made....
Umm, you don't have liability insurance for your car? Or maybe Amish?

Mick

Old 03-02-2016, 09:39 PM

30,317 posts, read 23,796,575 times
Quote:
Here it is. I know everybody has been waiting for it:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positio...lthcare-reform

The seven basic points:

Congress must act. Our elected representatives in the House and Senate must:

1.Completely repeal Obamacare. Our elected representatives must eliminate the individual mandate. No person should be required to buy insurance unless he or she wants to.
Fantastic!
Quote:

2.Modify existing law that inhibits the sale of health insurance across state lines. As long as the plan purchased complies with state requirements, any vendor ought to be able to offer insurance in any state. By allowing full competition in this market, insurance costs will go down and consumer satisfaction will go up.
Fantastic!
Quote:

3.Allow individuals to fully deduct health insurance premium payments from their tax returns under the current tax system. Businesses are allowed to take these deductions so why wouldn’t Congress allow individuals the same exemptions? As we allow the free market to provide insurance coverage opportunities to companies and individuals, we must also make sure that no one slips through the cracks simply because they cannot afford insurance. We must review basic options for Medicaid and work with states to ensure that those who want healthcare coverage can have it.
I want to know what "under the current tax system" means. We will get to take the same deductions as businesses? Does this apply to everyone, self employed, employed by a company..everyone?

What is the cut off for the "too poor to afford insurance" to be covered by Medicaid?
Quote:

4.Allow individuals to use Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). Contributions into HSAs should be tax-free and should be allowed to accumulate. These accounts would become part of the estate of the individual and could be passed on to heirs without fear of any death penalty. These plans should be particularly attractive to young people who are healthy and can afford high-deductible insurance plans. These funds can be used by any member of a family without penalty. The flexibility and security provided by HSAs will be of great benefit to all who participate.
I like this. I really like that they can be passed on to their heirs...what would the tax penalty be should that happen, however? Would it be considered "income" if it is passed on to heirs?
Quote:

5.Require price transparency from all healthcare providers, especially doctors and healthcare organizations like clinics and hospitals. Individuals should be able to shop to find the best prices for procedures, exams or any other medical-related procedure.
FINALLY!
Quote:

6.Block-grant Medicaid to the states. Nearly every state already offers benefits beyond what is required in the current Medicaid structure. The state governments know their people best and can manage the administration of Medicaid far better without federal overhead. States will have the incentives to seek out and eliminate fraud, waste and abuse to preserve our precious resources.
Is this saying get the fed gov out of it and let the states run it? Anyone understand this better than I do?
Quote:

7.Remove barriers to entry into free markets for drug providers that offer safe, reliable and cheaper products. Congress will need the courage to step away from the special interests and do what is right for America. Though the pharmaceutical industry is in the private sector, drug companies provide a public service. Allowing consumers access to imported, safe and dependable drugs from overseas will bring more options to consumers.
I like it, but I can hear the uproar now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections