Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 07:33 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,950,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It will.
I didn't say that I agree or disagree with amnesty or guest workers. It would take too long to express my feelings, since my heart and my head often are in conflict. In fact, when Sanders voted in 2007 we were losing 700,000 jobs a month. I only said he hasn't been explaining his position back then truthfully. I like Bernie a lot but, as others have said, he's a politician, not the Messiah, and neither was Obama. All candidates need to say the things that will win them more votes and, although they might be sincere, I think people expect way too much from a President. We can only hope that whoever leads our country has the goal to restore the middle class and expand programs for those in need and maybe accomplishes some of those goals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 07:41 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,583,409 times
If Sanders ran as 3rd party he would have gotten 70% to 80% less support

Old 03-15-2016, 07:48 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,770,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
This is B.S. Bernie believed that same-sex marriage was up to the states. Vermont was the first state to pass Civil Unions in 2000. Then in 2009 it became the first state to passed same-sex marriage by the state legislature as opposed to a ballot initiative like other states. Bernie had NOTHING to do with its passage because he wasn't a member of the state legislature.

Cat
At the time, Sanders was saying it should be up to Vermont because that was the argument that people who supported SSM were taking, due to the federal DOMA.

Voters in Vermont supported SSM. Sanders was hardly going to tell them that no, they had no right to pass a state SSM act. And yes, what people vote for in Vermont is very much an issue for their congressional reps, since the public expectation is that those reps will present the state's POV when federal legislation is being discussed.

States' rights is a funny thing. When I was young, it was code for Jim Crow laws, and I opposed it vehemently. Twenty years later, because I was living in a state that was trying to enact water policy that was more protective of environmental considerations than federal law, I found myself on the opposite side of the fence.

I've learned to always look at context whenever states' rights are argued.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I didn't say that I agree or disagree with amnesty or guest workers. It would take too long to express my feelings, since my heart and my head often are in conflict. In fact, when Sanders voted in 2007 we were losing 700,000 jobs a month.
No we weren't.

Quote:
I only said he hasn't been explaining his position back then truthfully. I like Bernie a lot but, as others have said, he's a politician, not the Messiah, and neither was Obama.
I nor anyone else claimed he was. The claim is he is the best choice.

Quote:
All candidates need to say the things that will win them more votes and, although they might be sincere, I think people expect way too much from a President. We can only hope that whoever leads our country has the goal to restore the middle class and expand programs for those in need and maybe accomplishes some of those goals.
it's why I am voting for Trump as opposed to more of the same in Hillary.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:35 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,333,621 times
Old Bernie couldn't buy an election with all the money he has raised, Super Pacs send help.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:44 AM

25,974 posts, read 22,154,119 times
I think Bernie ran as a Democrat because that is the party that he most closely identified with. Look at his stance on abortion, which appears to be the stronghold for the Democrats. Also, look at his policy on illegal aliens. Someone had to step up to run against Hillary and most didn't want to waste their time knowing that she had been promised the nomination for her support of Obama in 2008.

I think Bernie has a message and thought, "What to heck?" and decided to be a place holder. I think as the support grew for him, he thought "Heck, maybe I could actually have a shot." and started working to win. I saw an interview and the reporter asked Bernie if he thought he would ever be doing this well and he said "Did you ever think I would be doing this well?" and he smiled. Nice guy with a lot of integrity and workable plans IF people were intelligent enough to understand them and get behind him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections