Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 10:42 PM

17,029 posts, read 31,044,338 times

Advertisements

The party just doesn't see the forest through the trees. They are not happy that Trump is winning, but they let him on the ticket. Instead of realizing he was the only one focused on the economy and generating American jobs, they kept their heads in the (special interest) sand.

Trump is no politician, but he knows how media works. Instead of adapting, the GOP has put heels in the sand and have moved to divisive tactics. Today some 'GOP strategist' stated that the party chooses the nominee, not the people. Making it public that the 'party elders will pick a candidate that supports their values' instead of who the people have chosen. This shows how out of touch the GOP has become. The reason Trump and Bernie have become popular is the high disillusionment with the current system... both parties had 8 years to develop candidates and they both failed miserably.

A few years ago, I was a card carrying member of the GOP. Now, I'm ashamed of the party, they are dead to me. FWIW I did not vote for Trump in the primary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 11:02 PM

11,180 posts, read 10,589,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Making it public that the 'party elders will pick a candidate that supports their values' instead of who the people have chosen. This shows how out of touch the GOP has become. The reason Trump and Bernie have become popular is the high disillusionment with the current system... both parties had 8 years to develop candidates and they both failed miserably.
You are mistaken re the Democratic party. The people, i.e. the voters, so far are choosing Clinton not Bernie.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:15 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,220,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
You are mistaken re the Democratic party. The people, i.e. the voters, so far are choosing Clinton not Bernie.
Yeah. I was going to say that too. Clinton is winning at the ballot box. Bernie looks like a nice candidate with an interesting agenda, but Clinton is the one actually getting the votes.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:48 AM

17,029 posts, read 31,044,338 times
Its been Clintons election to lose for more than 4 years, she was the overwhelming favorite going in. You can't deny that Bernie has drummed up much more support than most gave him credit for. The anti-establishment sentiment is growing by leaps and bounds, hence Trump & Bernie.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:56 AM

19,792 posts, read 14,007,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
The party just doesn't see the forest through the trees. They are not happy that Trump is winning, but they let him on the ticket. Instead of realizing he was the only one focused on the economy and generating American jobs, they kept their heads in the (special interest) sand.
Nobody else is focusing on the economy and generating American jobs? Really? What is Trump's economic plan? He only issued two plans, his tax-plan and his health plan. The tax-plan slashes taxes, mainly on the rich, creating an additional $10 trillion in debt and the health plan goes back to the pre-ACA system and throws millions off their health insurance.

Incidentally, the other GOP candidates all have similar tax plans the slash taxes on the rich and blow up the debt.

So again, how exactly is Mr. Trump focused on the economy and generating American jobs in a positive way?

Old 03-17-2016, 07:17 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,817,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So again, how exactly is Mr. Trump focused on the economy and generating American jobs in a positive way?
Maybe you haven't listened to his speeches. He clearly states that he will be pulling out of these "free trade" deals that have devastated jobs in the USA and he states how this will be accomplished.

Of course this will put him up against the "establishment" in congress who will try to stop it. But in a congress vs Trump war, my money is on Trump.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:30 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,177,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Nobody else is focusing on the economy and generating American jobs? Really? What is Trump's economic plan? He only issued two plans, his tax-plan and his health plan. The tax-plan slashes taxes, mainly on the rich, creating an additional $10 trillion in debt and the health plan goes back to the pre-ACA system and throws millions off their health insurance.

Incidentally, the other GOP candidates all have similar tax plans the slash taxes on the rich and blow up the debt.

Sir/madam,

"Make America Great Again" clearly spells out in detail how Mr. Trump will revitalize the US economy. Make. America. Great. Again. See, self-explanatory! So few words have never said more . . . . since last night's Fortune Cookie.

Mick

Old 03-17-2016, 07:41 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,177,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica Megababe View Post
I like Trump and will probably vote for him but we have to be honest. His supporters make me embarrassed to support Trump. They are old guys with beer guts from Middle America. Whenever they talk they spit. As a 21 year old California girl, it’s not good for my image to be associated with that. It's scary.
Honestly, I am like that a bit. No, I am not a nubile 21 yo Santa Monica Megababe. What I mean is I could probably deal with Mr. Trump being President . . . I see some aspects of him that appeal to his supporters.

But many/some of the Trump supporters that I have interacted with or have seen on video have been absolutely vile. Think the not-famous Ted Nugent types . . . the types of people I detested well before Mr. Trump declared his candidacy. It raises a red flag for me when super Republican family members all strongly condemn and renounce Mr. Trump (actually, it restores faith in humanity, too).

Of course, what I just said is a gross overgeneralization. There are a lot of good people supporting Mr. Trump, I assume (to paraphrase Mr. Trump). But the many bad apples are a huge turnoff. You are always judged by the company you keep . . . .

Mick

Old 03-17-2016, 07:46 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,582,822 times
i have supported the ideals that Mr. Trump stands for. But I agree that the ones most vocal for AND AGAINST him are an embarrassment to America. If this is even America anymore. It's now a business driven consumption machine. When consumption stops, a la 2008, the crap goes into the proverbial fan.

I fear for what happens should Trump win it all. I fear for what happens if the Republican party steals the nomination from him against the will of voters in July.

At this point, Cruz pulling ahead and getting the delegates needed (not likely) is the best option. If Trump indeed is rightfully awarded the nomination in July, and Clinton still wins, probably a 2nd best option.

But unrest in the streets is looming in any other cases.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,779,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
True. But would the Dems be doing the same thing if Bernie was leading ?

Early on they seemed to be. Once Hillary took the lead though they backed off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections