Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 01:15 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,841,906 times

Advertisements

They would take this opportunity in regards to Trump to get rid of all the psychotic and ignorant supporters by blocking a Trump nomination. I think this is a great opportunity for the Republican party to reinvent itself. Here is why:

Most Americans tend to be moderate. Most tend to be more socially liberal and fiscally conservative/moderate. That includes me and many people I know be it friends or family. I have always voted Democrat, not because I am a Democrat at heart but I can't get behind how the Republican party caters to religious zealots and the ignorant folks. I am not saying that this how all Republicans are like, I am just saying the GOP makes an effort to cater to them. The Democrats do too in regards to the poor, but the tone isn't so divisive or such in such a negative rhetoric. How the Republican party produces candidates like Sarah Palin, Trump and Michelle Bachmann is scary, and most intelligent people would agree.

If the GOP were to block the Trump nomination, they would lose a lot of support from the bigoted supporters and religious zealots who are nuts about him, almost like a cult, which IMO is a good thing. They could then focus more on financial matters of the country rather than repealing things like gay marriage (seriously what's the point in going after that?).

If the Republican party could become a party that is fiscally moderate or conservative, but socially liberal, TRUST ME, they would get a lot of democrats on their side, including me, my family and many friends. The problem is in the last couple decades, the Republican party has catered way too much to the religious zealots and the bigoted, which has resulted to where it is today.

Block the nomination, let another party form where Palin, Carson, Trump, Bachman, and the like can form a new one, a Tea Party, and take all the whackos and ignorant folks, and let the Republican Party reinvent itself that can truly capture what Americans really want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 01:23 PM

30,567 posts, read 23,987,526 times
Quote:
If the Republican party could become a party that is fiscally moderate or conservative, but socially liberal, TRUST ME, they would get a lot of democrats on their side, including me, my family and many friends.
That's not a true Republican, and true Republicans don't care if you think they should be "fiscally moderately conservative". Enough taking other peoples money. Go back to the Dem party. As for "socially liberal", a true Republican doesn't EVEN WANT THE GOVERNMENT INVOLVED IN HALF OF THE "ISSUES" that special little snowflakes think need government intervention.

Your "type" would mean more RINOs. The Republican party has WAY more than enough of those.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:27 PM

7,760 posts, read 5,585,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That's not a true Republican, and true Republicans don't care if you think they should be "fiscally moderately conservative". Enough taking other peoples money. Go back to the Dem party. As for "socially liberal", a true Republican doesn't EVEN WANT THE GOVERNMENT INVOLVED IN HALF OF THE "ISSUES" that special little snowflakes think need government intervention.

Your "type" would mean more RINOs. The Republican party has WAY more than enough of those.
you sound like a libertarian.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:27 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,693,789 times
Quote:

And this ^^^ is why the Republican party has zero chance at the WH in the foreseeable future.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:34 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,724,404 times
Quote:
true Republican doesn't EVEN WANT THE GOVERNMENT INVOLVED IN HALF OF THE "ISSUES"
Really? Then get the government out of a woman's doctor's visits.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:42 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,137,337 times
I love it when Democrats tell Republicans what their party needs to do.

Any bigots that may support Trump, are not doing so because Trump is a bigot. Like these people or not, they have a right to vote, and you have no right to try and suppress their right to vote by attacking anyone they may choose to vote for. It is you, not Trump, or the Republicans that are in the wrong.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:42 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,177,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
They would take this opportunity in regards to Trump to get rid of all the psychotic and ignorant supporters by blocking a Trump nomination. I think this is a great opportunity for the Republican party to reinvent itself. Here is why:

Most Americans tend to be moderate. Most tend to be more socially liberal and fiscally conservative/moderate. That includes me and many people I know be it friends or family. I have always voted Democrat, not because I am a Democrat at heart but I can't get behind how the Republican party caters to religious zealots and the ignorant folks. I am not saying that this how all Republicans are like, I am just saying the GOP makes an effort to cater to them. The Democrats do too in regards to the poor, but the tone isn't so divisive or such in such a negative rhetoric. How the Republican party produces candidates like Sarah Palin, Trump and Michelle Bachmann is scary, and most intelligent people would agree.

If the GOP were to block the Trump nomination, they would lose a lot of support from the bigoted supporters and religious zealots who are nuts about him, almost like a cult, which IMO is a good thing. They could then focus more on financial matters of the country rather than repealing things like gay marriage (seriously what's the point in going after that?).

If the Republican party could become a party that is fiscally moderate or conservative, but socially liberal, TRUST ME, they would get a lot of democrats on their side, including me, my family and many friends. The problem is in the last couple decades, the Republican party has catered way too much to the religious zealots and the bigoted, which has resulted to where it is today.

Block the nomination, let another party form where Palin, Carson, Trump, Bachman, and the like can form a new one, a Tea Party, and take all the whackos and ignorant folks, and let the Republican Party reinvent itself that can truly capture what Americans really want.
Wow, I agree 100%. Shedding those folks (not all, but the worst ones) would be the best thing for the GOP over the long run. A fiscally conservative, socially liberal party would have my vote every time. . . . can we just have politicians who are pragmatic, solve problems and not be so divisive and mean?

Mick

Old 03-17-2016, 01:44 PM

549 posts, read 628,259 times
I'm exactly the same way. Fiscally centrist and socially liberal. Voted for Obama twice.

My top choices for president are actually Republican: Chris Christie and John Kasich. Since neither appear to be viable at this point, I'm now a Hillary Clinton supporter and will definitely vote for her in November.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:44 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,177,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Any bigots that may support Trump, are not doing so because Trump is a bigot.
Mind reading much? I don't think Mr. Trump is a bigot in a classic sense, but it is absolutely nuts to say you know why people vote for anyone.

Mick

Old 03-17-2016, 01:45 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,358,975 times
Quote:

Trump is fiscally conservative but socially liberal. You are a Trump fan too. Thanks for proving us real Republican's point. Trump is not a true Republican, he is a liberal funding RINO fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections