Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 11:16 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,279,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Glenn Beck is a Mormon? Wow. That dude is insane.

Mick
He converted in 2000 and is basically also a Mormon preacher. His money manager is also Cruz's money manager. They have long and close ties.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:20 AM

28,100 posts, read 29,992,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
OK, that makes sense. Can you link to ANY Ted Cruz Rally in Utah that is not filled with Glenn Beck and this "End Times Prophesy" stuff? It appears that the Cruz Campaign in Utah is all based on this.
I don't actually keep up on Ted Cruz's campaign, but nothing Glenn Beck says would surprise me.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
He converted in 2000 and is basically also a Mormon preacher.
I'm not sure if you even know what you mean when you say he's "also a Mormon preacher." To the best of my knowledge, Beck has never held any position of authority with the LDS Church.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:24 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,402,982 times
Quote:
Here is an example.

Glenn Beck: God took Antonin Scalia to help Cruz win - CNNPolitics.com

I also remember him boiling a frog on live TV (well, actually he didn't, but he made the viewers believe it).

Mick
I don't consider those comments definitive for "insane" as you claimed in another post. Weird comments, yep. He is entitled to believe god has a hand in every deed here on earth. Most Christians believe that, don't they?

Obama said today in his 15 second response to the terror attack in Belgium that "we have to all be united" and "come together". That is his reaction after Islamic extremists blew up over a hundred innocent people? I'd say that his comments are weirder than Beck's, except because he is president I'll just say he is a moron. The man is a complete failure as a leader.

Beck is not our leader and has no impact on my life so he can believe how he wants.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:26 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,843,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
We Mormons take a lot of bashing from other Christians (and yes, we are Christians), so we tend to defend one another when attacked. I never voted for Mitt Romney, and it doesn't matter to me who he endorses in this race, but when someone attacks a fellow Mormon the way Trump has Romney, it doesn't sit well with me, and I suspect I'm not alone in that. It would be interesting to hear Ted Cruz say what he really thinks of Mormons, particularly that they're not real Christians. If he came out with a statement like that, I can pretty much guarantee that he'd lose a substantial part of the Mormon vote. Who's going to want to vote for someone who insults them?
Katz, as a Jew, I can empathize. I have quite a few friends who are LDS and I hate it when their Christianity is questioned I was disgusted by Trump's insinuation! Really scummy!!

Old 03-22-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I forgot that one ...... I was paying more attention to Scalia's strange Death than I was to Glenn Beck (who I always ignore). Point is -- Glenn Beck is back in the news because he is leading the Ted Cruz Campaign Rallys in Utah. Calling for the "priesthood leaders" - watch the videos. The crowd goes wild.

Has anyone been able to find a Cruz rally without Beck in Utah? Simple logic tells us that no Candidate has a side-kick at a Rally, or has a side-kick Lead a Political Rally - UNLESS he thinks that is how to get the Voters to vote for him. Glenn Beck is influential in Utah OR he wouldn't be a headliner.

Voters in Utah are so fired up that they claim they will vote for Hillary Clinton if Savior Cruz does not get they GOP nomination and Trump does. That's pretty out there - I would say that Glenn Beck is doing a great job for Cruz ....... which is just weird on a lot of fronts considering the Cruz Religious Affiliation.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:39 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,290,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Terrorists want us to be afraid. A vote for Trump means the terrorists win.
Can you get any more cliche than that? What are you gonna say next? Go shopping? So those at the airport weren't afraid. What did they get them? Missing limbs.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm not sure if you even know what you mean when you say he's "also a Mormon preacher." To the best of my knowledge, Beck has never held any position of authority with the LDS Church.
I certainly didn't mean any offense - and you are correct, I've never made a study of the LDS church or it's hierarchy. That's because I don't care about another person's religion (or lack of) - I actually believe in that "Freedom of Religion" stuff and believe it's a personal issue for everyone.

I voted for Mitt Romney not because he was a Mormon, nor would I consider any vote based on Religion - I voted for him because there was ZERO doubt in my mind that he would be better for this Nation than another 4 years of Obama. I will vote for whomever is the GOP candidate because their is ZERO doubt in my mind that Hillary Clinton should not be elected President based on her past and past decisions.

Perhaps "preacher" is more of a Protestant term - to me, anyone who gives a Sermon is something of a "preacher". Evangelism to me is "preaching". I guess we are dancing on the head of a pin over Semantics.

Glenn Beck preaches Mormon theology at Liberty University

I do understand that they term "preacher" does not exist in LDS ..... but you knew exactly what I was meaning.
I'm guessing that Glenn Beck falls somewhere on this basic chart - at the very least he has indicated that he is a Priesthood Holder and has called for others like him to stand with him ... for Ted Cruz.

Church Officers

My initial question was about Glenn Beck's influence on the voters of Utah (using Mormon Prophesy) and why all the Ted Cruz Rallies would feature Beck if he didn't have that influence. It was a pretty simple pair of questions. I should also point out that while I don't care about any person's Religion, I certainly have ZERO interest in that Religion being dragged into the Oval Office or used as a Political tool.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:17 PM

1,166 posts, read 756,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I think Utah will go for Cruz. The Romney effect and caucus format doesn't bode well for Trump. On the other hand, it seems likely Trump will win Arizona.

Very similar to Iowa, Utah is a state full of religious zealots. Arizona not so much.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I certainly didn't mean any offense - and you are correct, I've never made a study of the LDS church or it's hierarchy.
No offense taken.

Quote:
Perhaps "preacher" is more of a Protestant term - to me, anyone who gives a Sermon is something of a "preacher". Evangelism to me is "preaching". I guess we are dancing on the head of a pin over Semantics.
And it's not my intention to do that, either.

Quote:
I do understand that they term "preacher" does not exist in LDS ..... but you knew exactly what I was meaning.
I apologize if I came across as being picky. What I was trying to say is anybody who teaches a Sunday School class could be said to be a preacher. Glenn Beck is certainly not in any kind of position to be speaking in a way that could be misconstrued as sanctioned by or approved by the LDS Church.

Quote:
I'm guessing that Glenn Beck falls somewhere on this basic chart - at the very least he has indicated that he is a Priesthood Holder and has called for others like him to stand with him ... for Ted Cruz.
Yes, but even the fact that he is a "priesthood holder" means very little. Every 12-year-old boy who goes to church on Sundays with his parents is also a "priesthood holder." I was merely trying to make the point that, as far the the LDS Church is concerned, Glenn Beck is a nobody. As far as a lot of right-wing Mormons are concerned, he's a role model. But that's just them talking; it's not their Church endorsing him as a spokesman of some kind.

Quote:
My initial question was about Glenn Beck's influence on the voters of Utah (using Mormon Prophesy) and why all the Ted Cruz Rallies would feature Beck if he didn't have that influence.
I wish I could tell you. Crazy birds of a feather flock together, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.