Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 05:35 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,962 times

Advertisements

I am now of the belief that Mr. John Kasich, the governor from Ohio, will be our next President. Here's how it happens:

1. Trump falls short of 1,267 delegates
2. Trump threatens to run as an Independent if he's not chosen by the GOP, but the GOP says go ahead and do that, and they nominate Kasich
3. Trump runs as an Independent
4. Hillary wins a plurality in the electoral college, but fails to get to 270. Kasich wins Ohio and maybe 1-3 other states. The GOP keeps him off the ballot in many states, letting Trump win.
5. The election goes to the newly elected Congress and they vote for Kasich

Our newly elected President is sworn in with something like 25% of the popular vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 05:42 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,199,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
I am now of the belief that Mr. John Kasich, the governor from Ohio, will be our next President. Here's how it happens:

2. Trump threatens to run as an Independent if he's not chosen by the GOP, but the GOP says go ahead and do that, and they nominate Kasich
4. Hillary wins a plurality in the electoral college, but fails to get to 270. Kasich wins Ohio and maybe 1-3 other states. The GOP keeps him off the ballot in many states, letting Trump win.

Our newly elected President is sworn in with something like 25% of the popular vote.
Kasich will never be nominated by the GOP with 13% of the popular vote in the GOP primaries.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:43 PM

26,505 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Lincoln had about 39.8% of the popular vote in 1860.

Kasich currently beats Hillary in a landslide. Every recent national poll has him up over her. Kasich beats Hillary in every single swing state.

Trump has alienated over half the country, his star is fading.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:45 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
But they would have to vote to repeal the 8 primary wins rule aka Rule 40(g) which both Cruz and Trump obviously have said they will vote against. Kasich won't even be eligible as it stands.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Kasich will never be nominated by the GOP with 13% of the popular vote in the GOP primaries.
Kasich is the only person left with positive favorability.

You could have a situation where Trump can get a majority, because he has ticked off too many. But too many Trump supporters that won't go with Cruz...then the convention is forced into a 3rd choice.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:49 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
But they would have to vote to repeal the 8 primary wins rule aka Rule 40(g) which both Cruz and Trump obviously have said they will vote against. Kasich won't even be eligible as it stands.
No, they don't. That was a rule for 2012. The 2016 rules committee gets to make their own rules and they are under absolutely no obligation to keep that rule.

GOP superlawyer on contested convention rule: 'In fact, that's not a rule' - POLITICO

OP, interesting theory. Personally, I don't see them picking Kasich in a contested convention - he can barely get any vote now, why would they think he's going to start getting tons of votes if he's handed the nomination? I think if they aren't going to go with Trump or Cruz, they reinvent the wheel and go outside any of the 17 that started off this year.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:52 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,980,049 times
If Kasich is so electable than how come he cannot win in the primaries? Even states with open primaries he is losing?? Makes no sense.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:53 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,199,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Kasich is the only person left with positive favorability.

You could have a situation where Trump can get a majority, because he has ticked off too many. But too many Trump supporters that won't go with Cruz...then the convention is forced into a 3rd choice.
Kasich is too nice of a guy, the kind of "aw shucks" personality HRC would devour in a series of debates in a general election. Polls mean nothing ...

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post

I agree with #1, matter of fact I think it is likely. I can see #2 but not #3, 4, or 5.

I don't think, despite his threats, Trump will run independent, eventually he'll decide he's wasting his money. Why on Earth would the GOP leave Kasich off any state ballots? If Kasich is the nominee he is the most likely to win. If not him, then Hillary.

I would not be surprised to see the GOP swallow their bitter pill and go with Cruz. Trump will only be the nominee if he gets 1,237 delegates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
No, they don't. That was a rule for 2012. The 2016 rules committee gets to make their own rules and they are under absolutely no obligation to keep that rule.

GOP superlawyer on contested convention rule: 'In fact, that's not a rule' - POLITICO

OP, interesting theory. Personally, I don't see them picking Kasich in a contested convention - he can barely get any vote now, why would they think he's going to start getting tons of votes if he's handed the nomination? I think if they aren't going to go with Trump or Cruz, they reinvent the wheel and go outside any of the 17 that started off this year.
Because he is the ONLY GOP candidate that beats Hillary in every national poll and is ahead of her in EVERY SINGLE SWING STATE.

If Trump and Cruz can't get a majority and they are forced to go to a third person on later ballots, then why not go with the only GOP candidate with a net positive favorability rating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections