Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 12:38 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,906,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
True... O'Donnell mischaracterized (as usual).

"Poorly educated" does not equal stupid.
You're the one mischaracterizing. No one said poorly educated meant stupid. Poorly educated means just that.... poorly educated. O'Donnell was merely pointing out the mind boggling position of most politicians that the public education system is badly failing, but then go on to say that "will of the voters" who went through this failing system is somehow sacrosanct an unassailable.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You hate to see the insiders picnic get rained on.
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever from the average voters prospective. I'd go as far as to wager that none of us here on this thread are "insiders", so what have we got to gain by keeping the "insiders picnic" from getting rained on? This accusation is much like the "establishment" accusation regularly leveled at Trump's detractors here on this sight....

Isn't it possible that we just do not like Trump as a candidate, with no ulterior motive? Couldn't the answer really be just as simple as that?

Of course it is, but to acknowledge that, Trump supporters, or, people like yourself who aren't explicitly supportive of Trump but who ascribe to the "rebirth through annihilation" strategy, wouldn't be able to dismiss our concerns out of hand. No, much easier to just sweep our arguments under the rug and dismiss them whole cloth by claiming that we want to protect the "establishment" rather than counter them on substance.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Or kind of like not being a damn coward and continuing on with the way things are going. What a brilliant plan. /sarc
Republicans are tired of the way things are so they ( or more specifically, about 35% of them ) said "hey, we can fix this by electing a brash reality show TV host, that can't fail"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It's not multiple personality disorder. It's tactics. The fact that so many don't get that shows the unbelievable ignorance that permeates this country. As for not having the power to do this or that, he has the power of persuasion. He's VERY good at it. .
Or, to put it the way one of Trump's top dog's put it, "Trump is playing a part"....

Call it a "part", call it "tactics", call it "persuasion", call it whatever you want. I can't vote for someone that I don't know who they really are, what they really believe, what they actually stand for, or what their principles are.

If Trump is just using "tactics" or "persuasion" how do any of us know what we're really getting? How do you know he isn't just telling you what he thinks you want to hear to get to the position he wants, and then turn around and become just another pawn in this system that you so believe is corrupt? Or is the fact that "the establishment" hates Trump so much good enough for you?

Like I said, call it whatever you want, I call it FRAUD.....

Old 04-26-2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Try and put your emotions on the backburner for a second. Look at what you said: Trump makes the status quo seem preferable. If that were true, Jeb Bush would be our frontrunner, he isn't. One by one, Trump has and is knocking the establishment candidates out of the race.
Such a conclusion ignores just how much Trump has benefited from a fractured field of candidates and the fact that he only has support from a minority of voters. Something like 65% of Republican primary voters have voted for someone other than Trump. Trump has NEVER broken the 50% barrier in any of the primaries, save for one, his home state of New York (which we all know is a hotbed of Conservative thought and ideals...)

A plurality of support from 35% of the voters is not a mandate. Far from it. If I concede for the sake of argument that all the other candidates in the field represented the status quo, then K9coach's assessment is actually proven by the votes.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 04-26-2016 at 01:32 AM..

Old 04-26-2016, 02:11 AM

22,484 posts, read 12,022,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Show me where the donations from these entities have impacted his voting record or his sponsorship of any legislation benefiting said donors.

You can't. I know that you can't.
https://www.opensecrets.org/politici...?cid=N00033085

And if you think that anyone who takes that much money from his/her mega-rich donors isn't beholden to them, well I have some oceanfront property to sell to you.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
https://www.opensecrets.org/politici...?cid=N00033085

And if you think that anyone who takes that much money from his/her mega-rich donors isn't beholden to them, well I have some oceanfront property to sell to you.

I don't see how being a "mega-rich donor" is any more morally superior than being the politician that's beholden to them?

Yet somehow, Trump, a self-admitted mega-rich donor who admits to buying influence his entire professional career and contributes to the corruption, he gets a pass for that from people like you? When the politicians take their money, they're bad, but when Trump buys politicians, hey, he's just doing what he has to do, right?

Old 04-26-2016, 03:47 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,664,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

Isn't it possible that we just do not like Trump as a candidate, with no ulterior motive? Couldn't the answer really be just as simple as that?
It could be, but never is. This is due to the hypocritical double standards applied to Trump, insults tossed at his supporters, and complete derangement over Trump's every move, used to justify said "opinion".

It's easy enough to say.. "I don't like Trump" and move on. Let us know when this actually happens.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:51 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,664,682 times
Quote:
I don't see how being a "mega-rich donor" is any more morally superior than being the politician that's beholden to them? Yet somehow, Trump, a self-admitted mega-rich donor who admits to buying influence his entire professional career and contributes to the corruption, he gets a pass for that from people like you? When the politicians take their money, they're bad, but when Trump buys politicians, hey, he's just doing what he has to do, right?
Easy answer....

Trump as a businessman has been forced to play this game because crooked politicians have rigged the system where they pick the winners & losers based on the payola. Trump seeks to end it. It's as simple as that. Most others, are quite happy to play that game because they would have never gotten to where they are without out. (See Banking/Wall Street legislation)

Old 04-26-2016, 04:11 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
Quote:
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever from the average voters prospective. I'd go as far as to wager that none of us here on this thread are "insiders",
Nor did I say they were.

Quote:
so what have we got to gain by keeping the "insiders picnic" from getting rained on? This accusation is much like the "establishment" accusation regularly leveled at Trump's detractors here on this sight....

A lot of people don't but when people back a candidate that is for everything they claim to be against otherwise it's something different. When you find people defending the idea of picking our representative based upon back room dealings it's something different.

Quote:
Of course it is, but to acknowledge that, Trump supporters, or, people like yourself who aren't explicitly supportive of Trump but who ascribe to the "rebirth through annihilation" strategy, wouldn't be able to dismiss our concerns out of hand. No, much easier to just sweep our arguments under the rug and dismiss them whole cloth by claiming that we want to protect the "establishment" rather than counter them on substance.
I've said I can't vote for Trump because of his positions. I'm not about to defend the crap the parties are pulling though.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:15 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
Quote:
Such a conclusion ignores just how much Trump has benefited from a fractured field of candidates and the fact that he only has support from a minority of voters. Something like 65% of Republican primary voters have voted for someone other than Trump. Trump has NEVER broken the 50% barrier in any of the primaries, save for one, his home state of New York (which we all know is a hotbed of Conservative thought and ideals...)

A plurality of support from 35% of the voters is not a mandate. Far from it. If I concede for the sake of argument that all the other candidates in the field represented the status quo, then K9coach's assessment is actually proven by the votes.
This also........I find it so odd that one will argue that the candidate with the most votes, even if not a majority should be dismissed for a candidate that has even less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections