Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 09:49 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Johnson voters gave us tRump. Gee thanks.
3rd parties always do comparatively well in an election with two terrible candidates.

But if every Johnson voter and every Jill Stein voter in the swing states that went for Trump had voted for Hillary, she my have squeaked by Trump.

But compelling or coercing voters to vote for your candidate isn't very democratic, nor is rewriting the rules after an election to somehow shoehorn your preferred candidate into office.

Trump may well be a disaster, but that would be nothing compared to the America that many Democrats seem to want where a dictator who answers to no voters sits on the throne, propped up by their fellow ideologues, populist petitions, and a sycophantic party-loyal populace.

If Hillary supporters really cared about America, they would drop this petition/impeachment nonsense and start focusing on midterm elections to weaken the Republican hold on the Congress, and bolster their party to start grooming good candidates for president 2020.

But instead I suspect you will continue your game of, "NOT FAIR!" and lose all steam and we will be stuck with the hack that is Trump with a strong majority in both houses.

They say that Trump voters are uneducated and downright stupid, but If the tactics of the popular Left are anything to go by, I am not significantly impressed with them, either.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:12 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
If this weren't so blindly partisan, it would be comical. So the justification for the petition, is inferring that foreign influence potentially swayed the election results. Those behind the petition expect U.S. citizens to ignore the content of the emails, only that they were purported made public by foreign sources. In other words, pay no attention to the DNC meddling in their own primary process to benefit the "chosen" candidate, while ignoring the will of the people, Russia allegedly leaked the emails that show the DNC, a domestic body, actually influenced results of their own primary, and that alleged influence is somehow worse that the DNC's actions.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Hints of British Parliament, eh?

LOL!!

Old 02-28-2017, 02:39 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
If this weren't so blindly partisan, it would be comical. So the justification for the petition, is inferring that foreign influence potentially swayed the election results. Those behind the petition expect U.S. citizens to ignore the content of the emails, only that they were purported made public by foreign sources. In other words, pay no attention to the DNC meddling in their own primary process to benefit the "chosen" candidate, while ignoring the will of the people, Russia allegedly leaked the emails that show the DNC, a domestic body, actually influenced results of their own primary, and that alleged influence is somehow worse that the DNC's actions.
This.

Like I said before, how many damned elections is Trump gonna have to win this year?

I for one am getting mighty sick of winning.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:35 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
That would be the long and short of it.

Here's the Snopes version if anyone is interested:

FACT CHECK: Did the Supreme Court 'Advance' a Motion to Nullify the 2016 Election?

Old 02-28-2017, 03:55 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,232,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
While the world is paying attention to theatrical battles over President Trump’s executive orders and cabinet nominees, a largely unnoticed and potentially landmark case sits before the Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States. A petition for a writ of mandamus seeking to nullify the results of the 2016 U.S. Presidential election sits on the SCOTUS docket.

Petition Before SCOTUS Seeks To Nullify Election

The actual petition can be read on-line here:

http://shannonfisher.com/wordpress1/...andamus.pdfThe

Petitioners argue that, in accordance with Article IV Section 4 of the U.S. Constitution, it is the job of the federal government to keep U.S. territory safe from foreign invasion.

The Petitioners claim that the highest courts in Austria and Ukraine nullified elections after "cyber-terrorists" invaded their elections.

They also claim the 1st Circuit Appeals Court made 4 errors denying the Writ of Mandamus. The 4th point states:

Did the Appeals Court Err by Failing to Find that 17 U.S. Intelligence Agencies Under the Executive Branch of Government Concluded that Russia Invaded U.S. Cyber Territory in 2016 to Influence Election Outcomes?

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....les/16-907.htm

According to the above link, the Petition has been distributed for conference on March 17, 2017.

Just wondering how this flew under the radar on C-D, since I didn't see any threads about it.

How do you think the Supreme Court will rule?

There is no evidence that Russia had any actual impact on the outcome of the election.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:48 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That would be the long and short of it.

Here's the Snopes version if anyone is interested:

FACT CHECK: Did the Supreme Court 'Advance' a Motion to Nullify the 2016 Election?
"Here's the Snopes version if anyone is interested'

NOPE!

Snopes has been PROVEN to NOT BE CREDIBLE source.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:16 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,972,701 times
Unlikely to happen but their efforts will still be persistent!

Old 03-03-2017, 10:43 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Mircea is hardly a Democrat.

He just thinks the petition raises some interesting legal issues.

As do I.

I'm no fan of the US meddling in other peoples' elections either. Which, BTW, was not invented by Obama.
I thought Mircea was a she. She seems way too intelligent to be a he.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:15 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Unlikely to happen but their efforts will still be persistent!
Their argument is quite simple.

The 12th Amendment provides for a smooth transition of power, but the transfer of power was invalid, since the Guaranty Clause (Article 4 Section 4) was violated. The Guaranty Clause states in part:

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion;

Their argument is predicated on a cyber-attack rising to the level of an "invasion." The Petitioners rely heavily on Title 18 Section 1030, which governs fraud and related activity involving computers. It is interesting to note that according to Petition, the Intelligence Community states the hacking began in 2015 (long before Trump emerged as the front-runner) and that the hacking also including e-mail accounts of members of the Republican National Committee, as well as the Democratic National Committee. The FBI also claims at least 12 States had their election databases hacked (I'm assuming those were voter registration databases).

The question before the Court is, "Does the Supreme Court have the power of judicial review to ensure elections meet with the standards set in the Constitution?"

You have to figure the Liberal Justices (Breyer, Ginsburg, Sotomayor and Kagan) will vote yes, and so possibly will Kennedy and Roberts. It only takes the approval of four Justices to grant a Writ of Certiorari.

The Court will likely rule it does have judicial review over elections.

The relief sought in the Petition is to declare the election unconstitutional, rather than disqualifying any one candidate.

It's important to note that nowhere in the Petition do the Petitioners show how the election was harmed by the hacking.

I would guess the Court would rule the Election as constitutional, since both the Executive and Legislative Branches of government were aware of the cyber-intrusions prior to the Election, but failed or refused to take any action.

Myself personally, I would argue that the Election Day was the "Statute of Limitations", and that any action brought related to the hacking would have to have been filed before Election Day, instead of after the results of the election were known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
I thought Mircea was a she. She seems way too intelligent to be a he.
I'm a he, but thanks all the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections