Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 08:28 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times

Advertisements

CNN just sent news alert Oprah may actually run for President in 2020

"Oprah Winfrey is "actively thinking" about running for president, two of her close friends told CNN Monday.

The two friends, who requested anonymity in order to speak freely, talked in the wake of Winfrey's extraordinary speech at the Golden Globes Sunday night, which spurred chatter about a 2020 run. Some of Winfrey's confidants have been privately urging her to run, the sources said.

One of the sources said these conversations date back several months. The person emphasized that Winfrey has not made up her mind about running."

Honestly, I think this would get Trump re-elected
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 08:29 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"Snooki?"

What the hell would qualify Oprah? I realize Ronald Reagan started out in the movies, but she ain't no Ronald Reagan! She's just a rich elitist with a stupid TV show.
What a funny comparison. Oprah has a lot more in common with Reagan than Reagan has with Trump. Agree with his politics or not Reagan was a moral person who treated everyone with respect---just like Oprah. Oprah didn't grow up with a silver spoon in her mouth. She started out dirt poor and her "stupid TV show" is an entire TV network worth 3.1 billion net.

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I think foisting dr Phil and dr Oz as well as giving Jenny McCarthy her podium to spew her anti vax bs might hurt her more than she knows.
Dr Phil got in trouble for being inappropriate with a patient when he was still in practice. It'd be hard to be sticking up for women when you gave a pervert a tv show.
Iirc, there was a lot of abuse going on at her African school, too.
Unless she spent the next year being educated and groomed for gvt, she'd be no help.
Well, thing is, the bar for Presidency has been lowered in the last couple of years.

20,862 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
CNN just sent news alert Oprah may actually run for President in 2020

"Oprah Winfrey is "actively thinking" about running for president, two of her close friends told CNN Monday.

The two friends, who requested anonymity in order to speak freely, talked in the wake of Winfrey's extraordinary speech at the Golden Globes Sunday night, which spurred chatter about a 2020 run. Some of Winfrey's confidants have been privately urging her to run, the sources said.

One of the sources said these conversations date back several months. The person emphasized that Winfrey has not made up her mind about running."

Honestly, I think this would get Trump re-elected
Lord, please no ...

Old 01-08-2018, 08:34 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
This.

The idea that anyone would want to do this unqualified cult of personality thing again only with a D behnd their name instead of an R is very disheartening.

The thing is, Oprah meets those standards, and she's successfully run an empire. She's as qualified as Trump... which is to say not at all.
Wow. Really? You're going to compare the Wharton School of Business to...this?

https://www.google.com/search?ei=l41....0.WpdVyVdOfJU

15 years to graduate from an HBCU??? LM-O....

Old 01-08-2018, 08:35 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,020,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Well, thing is, the bar for Presidency has been lowered in the last couple of years.
That's true but it'd be hard to explain away certain things that we've been bitching about the other side.

If she was the nominee, I would vote for her. The bright side is that she would attract a competent team unlike Trump. The negative is that she hasn't had to work with teams for so long. She might be in the same quandary as Trump who doesn't understand why he can't do what he wants. I can imagine Oprah saying "what do you mean 'no', I'm Oprah" lol

Old 01-08-2018, 08:35 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,192,381 times
She would be the best the Dems can offer

Old 01-08-2018, 08:38 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
But I bet she never grabs men by their genitals, because she's rich and famous and she can get away with it.

I have mixed feelings about this. Two years ago I would have said no way would I vote for a celebrity. But in light of the current occupant in the White House I find my thinking has changed. Winfrey would most likely work hard to learn what she needed to learn, and would surround herself with people who were knowledgeable and could teach her and/or help her with what she doesn't know, unlike Trump, who believes he knows everything, but the minute he opens his mouth it's clear he knows nothing.

I could see myself pulling the lever for her.
Same here.

Two years ago, I doubted many would vote for Trump. The man was well-known for being a liar and a fraud, constantly cheated people out of what he owed, indebted to Russian oligarchs and the Bank of China, and just an all-around disagreeable person.

Yet, here we are.

Democrats could run another reasonable candidate, someone with government experience, reasonable positions, all their faculties intact, ... But what are their chances against the Republican machine and their Russian troll farms?

Good grief, it was only by the skin of their teeth that Democrats were able to win a Senate seat against a cranky old Republican well known for being a child molester and twice kicked off the bench for violating the Constitution.

We are in a fight for the soul of our nation, for the rule of law. Mueller can't carry the whole load.

Democrats have to run someone who can win, who can inspire a get-out-the-vote movement that will overwhelm the Republican machine and their Russian troll farms.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:39 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,398,802 times
I wrote something very similar in another thread but wanted to post it here as well because it is more suited to this discussion.

This is not meant to cast any aspersions towards Oprah, but I was hoping Trump would have killed off the idea of a celebrity presidency forever whether it be liberal or conservative.

I have deep concerns we turning our Republic into a celebitocacy.

I would just say this, if Oprah or the Rock or any other celebrity were to win the presidency, you will not see me slobbering over them or making a complete ass of myself saying how great he or she is as Trumpists do everyday on this forum.

I will just cover my head and say what a pitiful state of affairs exist in the once great US of A.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:39 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
She'd be a shoe in for the nomination....

Dems could bring back the race card and the misogyny card at the same time.

An identity politics lover's wet dream!
Americans lowered their standards for the first Affirmative Action president. No vetting, no real medical check up, no revealing his tax information, no political or military experience or knowledge, etc. What if a black presidential candidate had said "I only respect soldiers that haven`t been captured"?
How Trump became 'the white affirmative action president' - CNN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections