Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 07:46 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,106,937 times

Advertisements

Congrats. This shows Dems need to run to the center to win

Quote:
He also campaigned as a more traditional blue dog, professing his opposition to abortion (though his actual legal stance is quite extreme, especially in this pro-life area), giving a thumbs-down to a $15 federal minimum wage, opposing single payer healthcare, and strongly backing the Second Amendment -- including coming out against any form of an assault weapons ban:

townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2018/03/14/pa18-analysis-n2460100

In this age, will all Dems be willing to do so? I doubt it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 07:46 AM

22,194 posts, read 19,481,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
not from what I heard, but I am not an expert on PA politics. What I heard was he was so far out of it and ended up closing the gap some, so no, it wasn't Trump's fault this time. I may be wrong.
Kiss of Judas might be a bit of a reach, but Saccone got torched in Allegheny (which is primarily the more swing, educated and white collar suburban part of the district). Trump certainly didn't help there.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:01 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,601,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
This election is proof that Donald Trump DID NOT win Pennsylvania in 2016. Russia hacked the ballots in the 2016 General election for a Donald Trump win. Saccone should have won in a landslide if Trump had truly won Pennsylvania. Congrats to Connor Lamb.
lol!

right, a pro-gun, pro-life, pro-tax-cut, anti-Pelosi, conservative democrat squeaking out a just-barely victory over his unexciting republican opponent is exactly analogous to Hillary vs. trump.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:13 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,019,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
lol!

right, a pro-gun, pro-life, pro-tax-cut, anti-Pelosi, conservative democrat squeaking out a just-barely victory over his unexciting republican opponent is exactly analogous to Hillary vs. trump.

It is amazing how many conservatives woke up this morning with the same epiphany! Magic was in the air last night!

Old 03-14-2018, 08:14 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,231,792 times
Lamb is not a pro-lifer. He's a Catholic who is personally opposed but supports a woman's right to choose.

And while he was the correct candidate for THIS district, it doesn't mean he'd be the correct one everywhere else or that Democrats should or will run to the center across the country.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:26 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,738,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Congrats. This shows Dems need to run to the center to win

townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2018/03/14/pa18-analysis-n2460100

In this age, will all Dems be willing to do so? I doubt it

Quote:
Lamb's campaign website lists his top priorities as the heroin crisis, jobs and infrastructure, affordable health care, protecting Medicare and Social Security, reforming the student loan system, unions, and modern energy development.
These items (especially the bold) are things that enjoy broad support among the American people yet the Republicans are actively trying to destroy them. Looks like Lamb supports these things. I don't think he's going to be the conservative poster boy you think he's going to be.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:41 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,601,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It is amazing how many conservatives woke up this morning with the same epiphany! Magic was in the air last night!
what 'epiphany'? where was this 'magic'?

Old 03-14-2018, 09:17 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,019,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
what 'epiphany'? where was this 'magic'?

You may have been using some sarcasm in your remarks. It is difficult to convey such by the written word.

However, it seems to be the trend today to consider that the only reason Mr. Lamb won (if, won he did), was that he was (in the general words of Mr. Trump at the rally) a Republican disguising himself as a Democrat.

I imagine, but of course cannot prove, that if Mr. Saccone had won last night, and that handily, there would not be any discussion today of how 'moderate' Mr. Lamb is, but that he was a 'liberal Democrat' that deservedly lost.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:41 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,548,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Spinning like a top! If Trump were not president, any Republican, any one of them, would have won this gerrymandered district. The democrat would not have mattered on bit. In fact, just like the last couple times, the Dems would not even have run someone in this district.

and Trump having his me, me rally probably helped.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:43 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Nothing on Twitter as of this morning ... I guess he is holding off until Saccone concedes, which justifiably could be awhile until all the final absentee, provisional and military ballots are counted and certified. Wonder if the self-indulgent weekend rally made any difference for a race that ultimately could have gone either way?
From what I saw it could have. There are many people who do not believe a president should be out there giving speeches filled with juvenile name calling. "Lamb the Sham". It's not going to continue to go over well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections