Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 05:16 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,463,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
nope... I stayed on topic...your OP topic...you opened the door with the trolling/flaming saying party of hate and fear

If you cant stand the heat...stay out of the kitchen
So if I’m misreading the Republican party’s platform and direction then perhaps you could explain to me otherwise? Especially related to foreign relations, trade, immigration, criminal justice, the environment, cannabis and social issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 08:05 PM

33,623 posts, read 12,816,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Stating this is pretty ironic given that it has been Republicans who have held one party rule for the last two years. Democrats winning the House does not bring one party rule to the country, rather it results in more of a balance. But it is probably too much to ask for both sides to work together constructively.
They haven't had a filibuster proof majority in the Senate over that period.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:04 PM

2,176 posts, read 3,417,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
the party of fear and paranoia is the Democrat party. They prove that every day when a Republican President is in the WH and is worse under Trump.

What's wrong in putting conservative judges that will obey the constitution as it was written instead of having liberal activist judges that will make laws from the bench?

Nationalism means putting American Citizens and the country first above the interests of other countries and foreign interests. That means ending bad trade deals and ending endless wars and endless occupations.

again, if you don't get that then you are the problem and no wonder you vote democrat with their identity politics.
It's called a different opinion, something we as a nation seem to have forgotten in our lack of civility and ability to find common ground. You are helping widen that gulf by making assumptions about me...someone you don't know. I know what nationalism is, and I know that nationalism can be twisted in ways that undermine a democracy. Trump's proposal to end birthright citizenship via executive order, something that has been a part of our Constitution for 150 years, is just one of the many ways our president is trying to bring an end to the norms that have been part of our nation's fabric for far longer than you or I have been alive. The 14th amendment was something that the old Republican Party, the party of Lincoln, originally proposed. I would hope the current Republican Party has enough fortitude to stand up for what they were founded upon, but the party has moved so far right that I don't have a lot of confidence in them.

I'm not against immigration reform or renegotiating trade policies, because there has been an imbalance for a long time, especially with China and its theft of our intellectual property. I think a border wall is a ridiculous waste of money, but I agree we need to strengthen our borders while also offering ways for immigrants who are contributing to our society to become legal US citizens. However, the way the Republicans have been handling polices such as these has been a disaster. They've been a disaster for our economy, they've been a disaster for relations with our allies, and they have been a disaster for America's image as the beacon of freedom and the shining city on a hill that Reagan once spoke of. I don't think our forefathers envisioned a political strongman leading America when they were trying to put checks and balances in place to avoid a repeat of the tyranny and persecution they had escaped.

As far as the Constitution goes, our forefathers in their infinite wisdom understood that as written it was not perfect, which is why they allowed for amendments to be made. American society has changed greatly over 229 years, and our Constitution has evolved with us. I don't believe that the politicization of the Supreme Court is in the best long-term interest of this nation. A bench weighted toward conservative justices is no more desirable than a bench weighted toward liberal justices. Our justices shouldn't be politicized in the first place. The fact that you are ok with this makes me question whether democracy or party politics are your priority.

Last edited by mustang84; 11-18-2018 at 09:19 PM..

Old 11-19-2018, 11:27 PM

32,328 posts, read 15,272,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
well, you can join the party of Ted Kennedy, Bill Clinton, Obama, Hillary, Pelosi. I'm sure that party is for decency, honesty, and corruption free.

I'm sure the Republican party was great with W Bush, Mccain and Romney and the rest of the neo-cons globalists. I guess you want to return to the Bush neocon doctrine of open borders, outsourcing jobs to China, endless wars and endless occupations...I'm sure that was real honorable for you. Let me guess you voted for Hillary Clinton.

These so call RINOS coming up here pretending that the Republican Party were honorable and great before Trump. Everything was great under W BUSH. Let's lie to go to wars that we can't pay for, that'S GREAT!! the honorable thing to do. LMAO!!!
Trump is a rino lol. He’s just a con man telling you what you want to hear. He lies all the time yet you have no problem with it.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:48 AM

9,483 posts, read 14,451,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
He lies all the time yet you have no problem with it.
Look in the mirror, the very reason he was elected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMeZCPbM6bA

When you think the night has seen your mind
That inside you're twisted and unkind
Let me stand to show that you are blind
Please put down your hands
Because I see you

I'll be your mirror (reflect what you are)

Let's play Password, shall we?

Aristophanes ... ridiculous!

Deplorables ... ________ (fill in the blank)!

Last edited by bale002; 11-20-2018 at 02:57 AM..

Old 11-20-2018, 03:29 AM

37,955 posts, read 17,978,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
What I mean by the topic name is that it has now become abundantly clear to me that the Republican party’s central platform and campaign strategy is fear and resentment, and frankly it depresses me.

I’ve voted for republican candidates in the past, and as recently as 5 years ago...however, I’m not sure I ever will again. The fear, hatred and resentment that drives the party’s agenda and energizes it’s base is now in dangerous territory and it’s difficult for me to envision a way out of this hole.

It wasn’t always this way. I remember not too far back when the party had a positive message supported by conservative values and fiscal responsibility. That has been replaced with tribalism, nationalism and protectionism, fear-mongering, building walls, etc. etc. It’s gotten very dark.

Anyway, I’m wondering if anyone here agrees and also has a problem with the direction the party is heading.
You made all of this up. What hatred, fear, and resentment? If there was you would have showed it.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:35 AM

37,955 posts, read 17,978,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I've got relatives in West Virginia coal country. The county went 80% for Trump in 2016 because he promised that the jobs would come back. Visited there last month. Jobs didn't come back but they are still supporting Trump and believing the jobs will return. Kind of sad, but hope is all they have. The poverty in the area is disheartening.
By the end of 2017, the total number of coal jobs gained over the previous year was just 900, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Preliminary figures for 2018 show a slight increase, with a net gain of 1,300 coal mining jobs during Trump’s presidency.

Apr 2018 - The last few years have been a bright spot for West Virginia coal. Production has increased nearly 27 percent since the middle of 2016

Maybe Trumps policies have done nothing but to say jobs and production is down is incorrect.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:53 AM

5,508 posts, read 5,260,201 times
Shouldn't have abandoned Libertarianism for Theocracy--we traded the Founded Fathers for a Bin Laden military empire.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:54 AM

31,027 posts, read 19,612,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Trump is a rino lol. He’s just a con man telling you what you want to hear. He lies all the time yet you have no problem with it.
He wouldn't be a politician if he didn't lie all the time and tell people what they want to hear....you can't be elected to anything without doing that.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:37 AM

8,922 posts, read 5,670,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I've got relatives in West Virginia coal country. The county went 80% for Trump in 2016 because he promised that the jobs would come back. Visited there last month. Jobs didn't come back but they are still supporting Trump and believing the jobs will return. Kind of sad, but hope is all they have. The poverty in the area is disheartening.
Talk is cheap as they say, people still believing Trumps lies need a reality check. He never had a plan to help them other than talk a big game. Too bad they view Democrats as the evil party thanks to the evangelicals who have no problem with Trumps bad behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections