Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 12:40 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,476,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
and has argued for cuts to government entitlement programs, such as Social Security and Medicare.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-po...=.fbb89379583f
uhm..

from the link

yes he wants to reduce entitlement programs... but its the opinion of the WAPO about ss

look at the wording
Schultz has called for reducing the federal debt by targeting entitlement programs, but he’s been vague about the details. The two biggest entitlements are Social Security and Medicare.

so the author (jeff stein) formerly of VOX (a far left rag) (is still in his 20's) OPINION is that the two biggest entitlements are.... yet for years people have argued that ss is not an entitlement as we pay for it

no where in the article does it say Schultz wants to CUT ss...

so again..who is talking cutting ss... 99% are talking reforms such as raising the retirement age... others mention raising/eliminating the cap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I didn't say he was.

I didn't say he should run as a Republican.
you did say "He is far closer to the Republicans"

Old 01-31-2019, 12:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you did say "He is far closer to the Republicans"
That's right and I stand by that.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:

no where in the article does it say Schultz wants to CUT ss...

so again..who is talking cutting ss... 99% are talking reforms such as raising the retirement age... others mention raising/eliminating the cap
If you want to argue that "cuts" don't mean cuts, have at it.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:21 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
The best explanation I can think of (without ever meeting the man or knowing too much about him in depth) is that he's an egotistical piece of crap.
Unlike Cory Booker, Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren, Michael Bloomberg, Andrew Cuomo, Hillary Clinton, Robert O'Rourke and Joe Biden (to name a few).
Quote:
What I've heard so far. Yes, he has argued that the debt is a problem. O.K., I have no problem with that. His solutions seem to be tax cuts for the rich and cuts in Social Security and Medicare for the rest. Screw him.
Schultz isn't talking about cutting Social Seurity or Medicare. He is talking about altering the programs for future retirees. Frankly as a future retiree I hope SOMEONE has the guts to make changes so I get the benefits I've been paying for for 40+ years.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Unlike Cory Booker, Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren, Michael Bloomberg, Andrew Cuomo, Hillary Clinton, Robert O'Rourke and Joe Biden (to name a few).Schultz isn't talking about cutting Social Seurity or Medicare. He is talking about altering the programs for future retirees. Frankly as a future retiree I hope SOMEONE has the guts to make changes so I get the benefits I've been paying for for 40+ years.
And yet, all there is stated is he supports "cuts" to entitlements. Never mind that Social Security isn't even one.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
If you want to argue that "cuts" don't mean cuts, have at it.
you are not understanding what I am TRYING to say..maybe its my typing

Schultz has said cuts/reforms to entitlements

he has NEVER specified ss

the author just stated his liberal OPINION that "The two biggest entitlements are Social Security and Medicare."

Schultz did not say ss was an entitlement. And most people feel that it is not an entitlement as we pay into it

so again, show me (any politician) (right or left) that is calling for actual CUTS to ss

are you calling a reform to raise the age, a cut??

Old 01-31-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
you are not understanding what I am TRYING to say..maybe its my typing

Schultz has said cuts/reforms to entitlements

he has NEVER specified ss

the author just stated his liberal OPINION that "The two biggest entitlements are Social Security and Medicare."

Schultz did not say ss was an entitlement. And most people feel that it is not an entitlement as we pay into it

so again, show me (any politician) (right or left) that is calling for actual CUTS to ss

are you calling a reform to raise the age, a cut??
To the person no longer eligible, yes that would be a cut.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
To the person no longer eligible, yes that would be a cut.
huh??

who would no longer be eligible ?? raising the age would effect people who are currently under 21...the same as when we raised the age back in the 80's

go after SS, means to do the needed reforms to keep it stable

why do liberals want to see SS die a slow death, why not fix the problems to make it viable for the future

when 1st enacted it was it was 2% (1% from the individual, and 1% from the employer) this was increased more than twice by FDR himself

why not raise the payroll tax an additional 1 or 2 percent? to 7.5% or 8.5%

when 1st enacted the life expectancy was in the low 60's ..now life expectancy is in the low 80's

why not raise the FULL retirement age to 70 or 75 even?...you still have the early 62 available

raising the retirement age NEEDS to happen.... we need to keep up with the times, many people CHOOSE to work well beyond 70...and our youth has a better chance of living well beyond 90

no-body is trying to fully "privatize" either program... SS was designed to be voluntary, not mandatory like the fascist liberals want

our life expectancy has increase a lot since its inception, time to raise the age for people about to START (ie 18 years olds)

the program WAS DESIGNED to kick in at 62 when the AVERAGE LIFE SPAN was 60

raising the full amount age to 70 or 72 would not be a big deal for the individuals (as we can still get partial at 62) but it would be a huge savings

the average life expectancy for ALL americans (not gender specific) is 79.2, with females crossing the 80 mark and males being at 78.6

the average life expectancy when SS came into effect was less than 60

to KEEP UP with its original intent they should raise the age of FULL qualification to about 80.....again you can start collecting at 62 still

SS has been in the rear's (more outgoing than coming in) since 2007...SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE TO FIX IT, it is not sustainable as it is now

Old 01-31-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
huh??

who would no longer be eligible ?? raising the age would effect people who are currently under 21...the same as when we raised the age back in the 80's
I'm not interested in your spin on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections