Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 09:24 AM

25,657 posts, read 17,402,104 times

Advertisements

Pathway to citizenship for long-time illegal residents.

I am a Republican and I could see myself supporting such a law. I suppose most Democrats would support it, but I know some Republicans absolutely would not.

What's your position? .......... Are you a 'send em all back' type to the end, or more like a 'well, since they are here, just leave them alone' type or just a 'hands off' type..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 09:28 AM

24,057 posts, read 15,168,475 times
I favor deporting any and all people who entered as adults, knowing full well that will never happen. The Chamber , the Restaurant association, meat packers and builders want them here, in the shadows.

People who were brought here as kids had no control over their lives. There needs to be a way for them to be legal. The gang of 8 had a plan a couple years ago, but it got trashed.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:31 AM

3,303 posts, read 3,963,727 times
There already is a pathway to citizenship. Apply legally, wait your turn.

Here illegally? No way Jose.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:46 AM

5,308 posts, read 6,216,838 times
A "pathway to citizenship" is just another way of saying "amnesty."

Old 06-27-2019, 09:53 AM

18,575 posts, read 8,380,093 times
until we do "shock and awe"....stop giving periodic amnesty every few years...stop just paying to send people back that should be in prison..etc
...there's no deterrent for people to stop doing it illegally

Old 06-27-2019, 09:59 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,855,682 times
I am an independent and I do support a pathway to citizenship. I'd like to see one where military service or some other sort of service is a requirement of young people in particular.

I'd also like to see an amendment though to the constitution that takes away birthright citizenship be passed along with a pathway to citizenship for current undocumented immigrants.

However, I don't think most Democrats/liberals would support the change and I don't understand why as they usually don't have a reason for it. I think citizenship should be based upon the citizenship of at least one parent being an American.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:05 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,365,006 times
One of the dumbest financial moves you can do is take a loan to pay off credit cards. Most people simply run up their credit cards again, and now they have the loan AND the cards to pay back.

Amnesty is similar. In a matter of years, we have the same illegal immigration problem AND the amnestied population. This solution just encourages bad behavior. If we have an immigration process, address the process-not excusing people who did not follow it.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:10 AM

6,289 posts, read 3,443,094 times
I favor allowing people to migrate to the US legally...not people who won't wait their turn. I favor ending chain migration and the lottery system we have today. We need immigration but we need immigrates who can contribute right away without sucking up US tax dollars providing for them. I get disgusted with lawmakers in both parties who won't do a damn thing to fix this problem.
I find it hard to digest why liberals/progressives/democrats think illegal aliens are a more important than the homeless lining out streets. Unless its homeless don't vote and potential illegal aliens might.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:13 AM

6,289 posts, read 3,443,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
One of the dumbest financial moves you can do is take a loan to pay off credit cards. Most people simply run up their credit cards again, and now they have the loan AND the cards to pay back.

Amnesty is similar. In a matter of years, we have the same illegal immigration problem AND the amnestied population. This solution just encourages bad behavior. If we have an immigration process, address the process-not excusing people who did not follow it.

Amnesty was granted to millions of illegal alien back during the Reagan administration with a democratic controlled congress with a promise they would soon fund building a wall...we now know how that worked out.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:13 AM

24,057 posts, read 15,168,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
There already is a pathway to citizenship. Apply legally, wait your turn.

Here illegally? No way Jose.
What is your plan for a now grown person who was brought here at age 4 by their parents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections