Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 03:22 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,374,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hahahahahaha. Are you serious. Who calls themselves a Cherokee in a book they publish otherwise. GTFOH Even your mother is embarrassed.
Actually Bruce Mann who has never claimed Indian roots also appears in Pow Wow Chow as Bruce Mann Cherokee. So it may well be the claim is of association not membership. And it is still a put on cook book with recipes lifted from all sorts of places and very few of which have any actually Indian roots.

So it is only the wide eyed right wing who see something of significance.

My departed mother was a tax lawyer and income tax expert who played a large role in the formulation of tax laws in the 60s and 70s. She was never embarrassed by anything. Even a good friend of Wilbur Mills even after the Tide Pool disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 04:37 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,996,535 times
I'm more hands off. Most marry citizens and get legal status eventually anyway.

Then again, I work with a lady who's a Hondurian legal resident who came illegally as a child, a straight up dreamer who married a fellow Honduran decent man who's a born here citizen, who hates Democrats even though they're the ones wanting her to stay. She married an engineer, drives a Lexus car and SUV and thinks she's better than every other Hispanic and minority.

I don't know why Democrats keep circling Hispanics and the illegal immigration thing. There are so many like the lady I work with who will turn their backs on those who worked to keep them here and then become wishy-washy.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:59 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,383,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Being a US citizen is not a requirement to serve in the US armed forces. Although I do firmly believe that if you serve your enlistment honorably, you should be entitled to permanent residency and a path to citizenship.
Being a legal resident of the United States, however, is a requirement.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:02 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,383,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Legal because there were not very many laws back then. It was all "Bring us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free...."

And yes, that is how most of us got here. I am not sure I know anyone who is 100% native American; part yes, all no.
That's an inscription on a statue, not a part of the Constitution.

Yes, many of our ancestors came legally.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:40 PM

1,663 posts, read 878,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Pathway to citizenship has real economic advantages. We no longer spend money hunting 'criminals" or building walls or pay ICE organizations, outfit interment camps. The legalized immigrants can now be legally employed, get legal wages, and they pay taxes and pay into SS and medicare, creating revenue.
No, it doesn't. The net cost of a large scale amnesty would cost American taxpayers two to six trillion dollars. Deportation by comparison, is very inexpensive. Less than half of illegal aliens have even a high school education, and with automation and AI, there's not going to be enough low skill jobs for current Americans, let alone adding millions more.
This study from Princeton estimates costs of two trillion.
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...rs-2-trillion/

The Heritage Foundation estimates up to 6.3 trillion.
https://www.myheritage.org/news/the-...-6-3-trillion/

Average deportation cost is $10,854, compared to a net cost (not including any dependents) of $65,292 per alien. https://cis.org/Report/Deportation-v...mmigrants-Stay

The only "real economic advantages" are to the illegals, and amnesty would likely start another flood coming to be part of the next "amnesty." Medicare and Social Security are already in poor financial shape, and your plan would make an already bad situation much worse.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:03 AM

1,663 posts, read 878,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post

Why is it- and this is a real question- that those on the right just have this convenient memory loss about how ALL of us got here originally?
No memory issues here, I was born in a hospital in the state of Washington, and nearly all of my ancestors were here in the new world by the year 1675. I'm no less American than any "native" American.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:01 AM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times
For people brought as kids maybe, it would depend on what the pathway was and if it allowed for deportation of those who were trouble. The parents though, no. And I suspect most would want to stay together so that wouldn't be fun. There's nothing that would make me in favor of blanket amnesty though, we are only in this bad situation because we did it once..big mistake..and we can't afford to do that again. It can only work in conjunction with the border being strong though, and with an deportation system that acted instantly for anyone caught crossing illegally. Amnesty is reserved for special circumstances, not for everyone who wants to live here because they don't like where they currently live.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:49 AM

16,006 posts, read 7,059,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
There already is a pathway to citizenship. Apply legally, wait your turn.

Here illegally? No way Jose.
How did undocumented immigrants get enlisted and served in armed forces? How did they get hired

Old 06-29-2019, 06:05 AM

16,006 posts, read 7,059,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Don't see what that has to do with illegals. Unless they are DACA recipients they are not supposed to be in the military. If they are they are there fraudulently. That is a Federal crime. I do not favor rewarding this.
You mean the military does not screen who they admit into the military and send them out to die for our safety?

Old 06-29-2019, 08:54 AM

1,705 posts, read 539,411 times
If it where only as easy for Western Europeans to immigrate to the US as it is for Mexicans / South Americans it would balance out things a bit more.

Its very difficult for Europeans to immigrate.. while they can just cross the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections