Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 12:04 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times

Advertisements

Definitely for the Dreamers. For others - not sure. Perhaps on a case by case basis depending on what they are currently contributing to our country/economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 12:05 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The Reagan amnesty act came with the promise of border control. But border control never happened, so illegals came flooding across the unguarded border.
We can't trust future administrations to guard the border because some will and some won't.
"Pathway" will only work in conjunction with The Wall.
And Trump could have had that a year ago. But, he rejected the 'pathway' and thus, lost all the money for his wall.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:09 PM

24,606 posts, read 9,442,839 times
We already have a pathway to citizenship, it’s called a green card.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:16 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
There already is a pathway to citizenship. Apply legally, wait your turn.

Here illegally? No way Jose.
I am in Texas, and very far left, so it would be very easy to say the current admin is trying to keep out all the brown-skinned people (which I happen to believe)

But more objectively is this:

From 1990-2000 I worked with a bunch of eastern Europeans- i.e. no brown skin in the bunch. They were all here legally and some had already become citizens, some while I worked with them. They were all over 50, and all of them had been "waiting their turn" for 20 years. The shortest time I heard was 17 years.

A lot can happen in 20 years, and if I were living in some of these hell-holes with my babies, I would do what it took, as a mom, to make sure they were ok.

I don't know enough about the details of immigration as to what it does to the country- you hear some say how bad it is and others say how good it is. I am only pointing out that your point is not as easy as it sounds.

Why is it- and this is a real question- that those on the right just have this convenient memory loss about how ALL of us got here originally?

Old 06-27-2019, 12:17 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,254,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
The only people legally serving in the military are those with permanent green cards, with the exception of around 900 or so DACA recipients.

The people who are "working" are doing so illegally, except for DACA recipients.
Four percent of the military are not citizens.

Not just 'working' -- owning businesses, hiring employees and paying taxes, like the Indiana restaurant owner of twenty years, who was deported.

"Immigrants now launch more than a quarter of U.S. businesses. All entrepreneurs should welcome reform that would make it easier for this class of strivers to stay--and succeed..."

https://www.inc.com/magazine/201502/...n-america.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/after-2...ted-1491443231

Old 06-27-2019, 12:24 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,366,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Four percent of the military are not citizens.
Don't see what that has to do with illegals. Unless they are DACA recipients they are not supposed to be in the military. If they are they are there fraudulently. That is a Federal crime. I do not favor rewarding this.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

Not just 'working' -- owning businesses, hiring employees and paying taxes, like the Indiana restaurant owner of twenty years, who was deported.
If you mean Roberto Beristain, he was in the country illegally, and eventually deported.

This is a problem because .....

Old 06-27-2019, 12:31 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
You clearly don't live in a city or state where they are a big problem. Goes way beyond jobs.
I live in the city with the second highest per capita illegal population. It is not a problem. Such problems as school performance are driven by minority populations but they are mostly legal...

Old 06-27-2019, 12:57 PM

"The immigration trouble started in February 2000, when the couple made a wrong turn on the way to Niagara Falls and ended up at a border crossing, according to their attorney Adam Ansari. Agents discovered Roberto had no passport, green card or ID, and a judge ordered him to return to Mexico by the end of the year."

So for 18 years after being told to go adios, Roberto remained.

"But Roberto never left. Helen was expecting their first child, and doctors deemed hers a “high-risk pregnancy.” He didn’t want to leave his wife alone. Then, Maria was born, and they couldn’t imagine raising her in Mexico. They wanted to keep up the family business. And they wanted to stay in Indiana.

“I didn’t even see Roberto as Mexican,” said Angela Banfi, a friend and waitress at the restaurant. “He was not one of those Mexicans. He was like a white boy to me.”

I guess Mexico has never heard of such things as high-risk pregnancies, so he couldn't leave (ie obey the court order.) Then Maria (anchor baby) arrives, and they hope her existence keeps Roberto here, as he is viewed as a "white boy" by locals.

"

“It was a steak place, but you felt like it was more of a home,” said Chuck Matheny, 61, a systems engineer who ate at Eddie’s three times a week.

Conversations were usually light and frivolous, he said, until 2016 when customers became captivated by Donald Trump. Matheny and Helen, both Republicans, reaffirmed each other’s support for the Republican nominee. Her husband was less sanguine: Trump, he said, would kick out all of the Mexicans.

“Only the bad ones,” Matheny recalled insisting."

President Trump has said he wants to deport illegal immigrants of all kinds. I had no trouble understanding him.

"Matheny knew Roberto was trying to get his green card through his marriage to Helen, a Greek immigrant who moved to the country illegally in the 1970s and has since become a citizen.

What he didn’t know was that Roberto had retained an immigration lawyer in Miami and traveled there to check in with him and Immigrations and Customs Enforcement each year. During the Obama administration, his attorney said, they deferred action and authorized a driver’s license and a work permit for him."

Yes, BO deferred action against illegal immigrants and permitted them to defy existing court orders. Fortunately, he couldn't be in office for more than 8 years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-it-moved-on/

So we have here an illegal immigrant who decided to remain in the country illegally after being caught and told to leave, as well as a former president who decided to enable this behavior. On the side are some more people who claim they didn't understand what Donald Trump said.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post

Why is it- and this is a real question- that those on the right just have this convenient memory loss about how ALL of us got here originally?
Nothing wrong with my memory. The majority of my ancestors got here through legal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections