Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 08:13 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Pathway to citizenship for long-time illegal residents.

I am a Republican and I could see myself supporting such a law. I suppose most Democrats would support it, but I know some Republicans absolutely would not.

What's your position? .......... Are you a 'send em all back' type to the end, or more like a 'well, since they are here, just leave them alone' type or just a 'hands off' type..?
The pathway would be the same pathway as everyone else uses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 10:19 PM

856 posts, read 705,352 times
I prefer a pathway to legal status before a pathway to citizenship, but a pathway to citizenship is better than those Democrats who support amnesty or the Trump approach.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:41 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,915 times
Quote:

I am a Republican and I could see myself supporting such a law. I suppose most Democrats would support it, but I know some Republicans absolutely would not.

What's your position? .......... Are you a 'send em all back' type to the end, or more like a 'well, since they are here, just leave them alone' type or just a 'hands off' type..?
My pathway to citizenship began 20 years earlier. The endless forms, the medicals, the interviews, the fingerprints, the FBI background checks, the waiting and waiting and waiting, the money and more money.

And then after being here for 15 years studying for the civics exam, traveling across the state for another interview, the fingerprints again, the FBI background check again, more forms and more money.

Never had to look over my shoulder wondering if or when the feds were going to pick me up and deport me. Didn't have to buy a fake ID or use a fake social security number.

Did it the right way because I followed the law. Did it the right way because I respected my adopted country. Did it the right way because doing it the wrong way isn't in my DNA. Now ask me my position on illegals and pathways to citizenship.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:45 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Give a dreamers and illegals a pathway to citizenship as long as they become citizens within 5 years. But if you break the law anytime after you start the process, you lose out and get shipped back with no chance of ever becoming a citizen. If they don't take up the offer, ship them back to where ever they came from.
I've been reading your posts for a good long while now. I never expected this moderate answer from you. Good deal.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:47 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:

There has always been a pathway to citizenship.

Should people who break our laws be rewarded by getting an advantage over those who don't?

Old 06-30-2019, 01:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:

I have mixed feeling about this. I agree with what you are saying, but there would have to be a lot of steps to this. 1- pay a penalty for living here illegally: 3-show a good work record: no criminal record, not even misdemeanor and a willingness to learn and speak English for starters. I can't imagine splitting up families just because grandpa who has no family left in his native country and is advancing in age, just because he came over the border 40 years ago, but they must apply for citizenship asap.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Amnesty was granted to millions of illegal alien back during the Reagan administration with a democratic controlled congress with a promise they would soon fund building a wall...we now know how that worked out.
Yes and Reagan signed the bill more to protect those coming here from El Salvador.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections