Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 01:23 PM

25,594 posts, read 17,323,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I would not entertain any discussion of a pathway to citizenship until the border if fully secured (meaning the heavy flow of illegal entries has ceased), agreement has been reached on who can stay and who must go, and those who must go have been deported. Anything prior to that will encourage an even heavier flow of illegals pouring in who will wait for the next amnesty.
I think Biker has it.
First, secure the border. Force entrants to use the gates.
Fix the amnesty laws.
And then decide who must go and who doesn't have to.

Either that, or just tear down the security check points at airports because if we are going to welcome and protect people in the desert we may as well do it at the airport, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 01:30 PM

50,358 posts, read 47,109,092 times
Doing nothing is better than granting any form of amnesty.

Old 06-29-2019, 03:16 PM

6,253 posts, read 3,421,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I agree with a pathway to citizenship.

For how many? 12 million, 25 million, a billion?

While the all the democratic debate hopefuls favor free HC for illegal aliens (they all raised their hands at that question) with the promise of an open border and eliminating ICE I am sure about a billion are thinking about our soon to be open borders as a liberal/progressive takes out Trump...
Do you really think the American public will buy any of that?

Old 06-29-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
And Trump could have had that a year ago. But, he rejected the 'pathway' and thus, lost all the money for his wall.

I think you have it backwards...Trump offered Dreamers a pathway to citizenship in exchange for the funding of the wall...democrats walked away. Democrats have never offered to fund the Wall. Ever!!

Old 06-29-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Legal because there were not very many laws back then. It was all "Bring us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free...."

And yes, that is how most of us got here. I am not sure I know anyone who is 100% native American; part yes, all no.

They sailed right by that Statue of Liberal in New York harbor to Ellis Island.

The majority of immigrates who come to America 'back then' come thru Ellis Island and come legally. There were some, who for different reason, didn't make the grade and were sent back...many laws were passed keeping some ethic people out including Southern European and later Asians.

Old 06-29-2019, 03:57 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,368,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
For how many? 12 million, 25 million, a billion?

While the all the democratic debate hopefuls favor free HC for illegal aliens (they all raised their hands at that question) with the promise of an open border and eliminating ICE I am sure about a billion are thinking about our soon to be open borders as a liberal/progressive takes out Trump...
Do you really think the American public will buy any of that?
The Democrats favor HC for all. And Medicare is in no way free. The two of us spend well over a grand a month for Medicare.

The discussion about border crossing deals with criminal versus civil offense. The system has always used the civil mostly and exclusively for over stayers. No one is advocating open borders.

The discussion about ICE are moves to do away with the institution but not the function. The argument is that ICE is too militaristic. A more gentle approach would work better. My guess is virtually all the ICE personnel end up in the new organization if it occurs.

It is inevitable that we will have a big legalization eventually. My fear is that it will actually be too small. We need the residual illegal alien body small enough that the immigration system can maintain or even shrink it over time.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:14 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,574,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I think you have it backwards...Trump offered Dreamers a pathway to citizenship in exchange for the funding of the wall...democrats walked away. Democrats have never offered to fund the Wall. Ever!!
Wrong. Dems offered Trump $20 Billion in a bi-partisan deal for his wall as long as Dreamers had a pathway to citizenship. Miller whispered sweet nothings in his ear and Trump shot it down. That is the truth.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:17 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,574,770 times
Give a dreamers and illegals a pathway to citizenship as long as they become citizens within 5 years. But if you break the law anytime after you start the process, you lose out and get shipped back with no chance of ever becoming a citizen. If they don't take up the offer, ship them back to where ever they came from.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:05 PM

8,895 posts, read 5,380,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
As we learned from 1986 .... you can't undo them once they are done.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:08 PM

8,895 posts, read 5,380,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You mean the military does not screen who they admit into the military and send them out to die for our safety?
Yes, they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections