Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 02:48 PM

1,161 posts, read 466,032 times

Advertisements

I firmly believe the polls will always under-represent Trump's actual support. Given the reality of Trump Derangement Syndrome, which afflicts even a couple of my best friends, I wouldn't think of wearing a MAGA hat, putting a Trump sign in my yard or pasting a Trump bumper sticker on my car - although I will certainly vote for The Donald once again.

Given the state of the country these days, I think I'd be slightly paranoid even about answering an anonymous poll. I'd be thinking "Who is REALLY asking this question, who is REALLY monitoring these responses, what are going to be the consequences if I answer honestly?" Slightly paranoid, yes - but only slightly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 02:53 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
I firmly believe the polls will always under-represent Trump's actual support. Given the reality of Trump Derangement Syndrome, which afflicts even a couple of my best friends, I wouldn't think of wearing a MAGA hat, putting a Trump sign in my yard or pasting a Trump bumper sticker on my car - although I will certainly vote for The Donald once again.

Given the state of the country these days, I think I'd be slightly paranoid even about answering an anonymous poll. I'd be thinking "Who is REALLY asking this question, who is REALLY monitoring these responses, what are going to be the consequences if I answer honestly?" Slightly paranoid, yes - but only slightly.
I would be embarrassed supporting Trump too if I were you. However, I'd put forward the theory that the reluctance to be open about that support has less to do with the disapproval of those you know, but rather your own conscience writhing in agony over supporting such a monster.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:04 PM

10,726 posts, read 4,334,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
See, you can't help yourself. Your entire argument against 2020 polling has been that 2016 was incorrect, but you literally started this thread bragging about 2020 polling simply because it showed you what you wanted (and ironically, still showed Trump behind).

You don't seem to know what you're arguing other than that you have very selective views on polling.
I've been saying forever that polls underestimate Trump, so whenever the Democrat candidate leads by 1 or 2 it means Trump is winning.
That's always been my position, literally since 2016.
And as Wisconsin showed in 2016, sometimes Trump is winning when the Democrat candidate leads by 6.5 too.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:08 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Are you taking in to account any improvements in polling methods as changes have been since the last elections. Is the thought that since it was way off in 2016 it will be off again?
I do know that sophistication in predictive analysis in other fields is light years different than it was in 2016.
This is a subject that folks here know a lot about. I want to believe that the modeling functions and scrubbing is better since the data science is more advanced.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Are you taking in to account any improvements in polling methods as changes have been since the last elections. Is the thought that since it was way off in 2016 it will be off again?
I do know that sophistication in predictive analysis in other fields is light years different than it was in 2016.
This is a subject that folks here know a lot about. I want to believe that the modeling functions and scrubbing is better since the data science is more advanced.
We'll find out in November if the polling methods have improved.
But the polling methods didn't work in Florida 2018 midterms....

Old 06-23-2020, 03:12 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
We'll find out in November if the polling methods have improved.
But the polling methods didn't work in Florida 2018 midterms....
Am I hearing you hedging!!??

Old 06-23-2020, 03:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
Riots , arson, looting, Major Corp exodus from cities, mayoral orders to not resist arson and looting, defunding police & Biden
The dems are the best thing that ever happened to this country
Signed gop

Old 06-23-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Am I hearing you hedging!!??
No, I'll never assume that polling methods have improved.
But I'm saying if you want to assess pollsters, you have to wait for November.

As I said, there is no indication that they've improved, as most pollsters got Florida wrong in 2018, except for this guy-
"Cahaly’s success continued in 2018, most conspicuously in Florida. He was one of the few pollsters whose data showed Ron DeSantis beating Andrew Gillum in the Florida gubernatorial race and Rick Scott besting incumbent Democrat Bill Nelson in the Senate race. Cahaly’s firm, the Trafalgar Group, has emerged from the last two political cycles as one of the most accurate polling operations in America."
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...t__143512.html

And if they can't get Florida right in the midterms, I seriously doubt they'll get it right in 2020 with Trump on the ballot.....because nobody is harder to track than Trump supporters.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:46 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:

Yes, Trump was so under represented in the Tulsa rally right?

Because, you know, "Blue Seats Matter"!

https://twitter.com/ahzoov/status/1274756034637299713

Old 06-23-2020, 04:08 PM

26,562 posts, read 14,434,478 times
Quote:
I firmly believe the polls will always under-represent Trump's actual support.

the national RCP average was only 1.1points off the final vote in 2016. currently the RCP has biden ahead of trump by 9.8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections