Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 07:09 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times

Advertisements

Maybe it is not a case of there being more to meet the eye maybe there is more to meet the brain and thats why they endorse Obama. Just speculating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 07:12 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Lets accept all of the negative about Obama as being true. Then shame on you Hillary for being behind this close to the end to such a loser when you were the presumptive nominee this time a year ago. McCain came from what seemed like he had no chance to win and you fell from what was a certainty to many. How and what is it saying about you not Obama since for this argument we are accepting he is terrible.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:48 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
The fact is that if counting actual votes cast in the manner in which they are typically cast during a general election, Clinton has more votes than Obama. It is only when counting votes as per Dean and company's rules -- discarding states and all that, that Obama comes out ahead.

Obama followers are in such denial it is worth repeating: When going to a polling place, closing the curtain and pulling the lever, Clinton has received more votes than Obama.

If "every vote counts" was really the democratic party mantra, Obama should step aside or fight to win the majority of votes. He may; he is a very close second.
This is a great argument if it were based in fact, but it isn't. It ignores some votes in order to spin the vote in Senator Clinton's favor. The DNC rules may not be liked, but they are the rules that the players agreed to. The rules don't use popular vote as a defining metric for nomination of a Democratic nominee.

Consider this for a moment, if we look at your argument and consider the popular vote, why is Senator Clinton so incapable of knocking off a Junior Senator new to the game of national politics? What about her message is so flawed, it appeals to the least informed demographic? Isn't this more alarming than the campaign running in the red? What about the statements issued by her defectors - while some may have been political posturing, many appear to be heartfelt messages regarding character and appear to speak to heart of issues this Nation has attempted heal and move beyond.

Do you honestly want to play a game with someone who changes the rules, or would you rather beat them fair and square? Senator Obama has one shot at winning the popular vote - and those are the Rules of the next game - or will you endorse a new metric for the General Election?

Old 05-15-2008, 07:59 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times
Quote:
Do you honestly want to play a game with someone who changes the rules, or would you rather beat them fair and square? Senator Obama has one shot at winning the popular vote - and those are the Rules of the next game - or will you endorse a new metric for the General Election?
For the Clintons, rules never applied to them. All of us mere mortals are bound to the rules.....but not the Clintons.

I'm sure many superdelegates watching how Hillary has twisted her arguments, trying to bend the rules to her favor, must be scandalized by all of this. That's probably why they are flocking to Obama.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:10 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
I was very disappointed with John Edwards and surprised to see an email from him wanting me to donate to one of his causes after he says he backed Obama, is he nuts?

I was so upset I blocked his future emails and opted out.

Also the NARAL supporting Obama? Whats wrong with these people? As a woman who was there during the womens movement that was a slap in the face to all women.

What are they up too? Theres more than meets than eye going on here.

Sorry to say we need a Deep Throat to come forward and spill the beans with this election, something is wrong.

You know Obama is not going to win against McCain, so why are they doing this to Hillary?

These delegate votes, doesn't anyone understand that these delegate votes are not necessarily for Obama, there are things happening behind the scenes we don't know about.

Was it because she spoke up re womens rights in China and China wanted to shut her up, is it something related to the trade with China?? Are these delegates for the trade with China? What are these delegates scared of, what is swaying their votes? Its not Obama...........
Edwards was my first choice and am especially disappointed with the timing of his endorsement right after Hillary's overwhelming victory. What a coincidence to receive this email two hours after he endorses Obama. I agree with all your comments and I also blocked his future emails. Elizabeth's silence is heard loud and clear. NARAL has received the last dime from me.

I don't support Hillary because just because she is a woman and I will vote for Obama will full knowledge that he will lose the general to McCain. I don't think winning caucus states carry as much weight as going to polls and privately casting votes. From what I've read there was a lot of intimidation going on in those caucus rooms.

Many are commenting that women are angry over Hillary's losing the nomination. That said it seems the angry ones are people with so much hate calling her despicable names. If anything will make me skip the election altogether that would be it.

When we were standing in line for Hillary's rally a few months ago, a young woman told us that her boyfriend was so rabid over his support for Obama he wouldn't even consider listening to any of her points

Last edited by tigerlily; 05-15-2008 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 05-15-2008, 08:11 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well, she does have a point.

Look at the caucus states Obama won. Will he keep most of those in the general?
I agree. Caucus states are not indicative of the results in the general.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:16 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I agree. Caucus states are not indicative of the results in the general.
Why didn't Senator Clinton use her political weight and prowess and win these 'easy' delegates? Or was it unfair that Senator Obama worked within the Rules, won the caucus states and his case for representing the Democrats as the nominee? Should we disenfranchise the delegates chosen from caucuses?

Old 05-15-2008, 08:21 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Why didn't Senator Clinton use her political weight and prowess and win these 'easy' delegates? Or was it unfair that Senator Obama worked within the Rules, won the caucus states and his case for representing the Democrats as the nominee? Should we disenfranchise the delegates chosen from caucuses?
Because her campaign has been run by idiots. They has no caucus state strategy in place at all, allowing Obama to build up a big delegate lead.

Obama has played by the rules and won this nomination fair and square. It's time for the Clinton supporters to stop their sniveling and hop on the Obama express.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:28 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times
If caucus states don't indicate the results of the general election, then so are primaries. Primaries poll only half of the potential electorate. The only kind of poll that is indicative of the general election result is the general election itself. We might as well not have primaries and caucuses and go directly to the general.

Hillary supporters are really overreaching with their arguments here.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:35 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Obama can't win the general election.

I don't understand why the Democrats are pushing him for President. The only reason that makes sense is that they know, if we keep a Republican president, most of them will get to keep their jobs.
Saying he cannot win, does not make it so. What crystal ball are you looking into? Obama can win the general election because he has a great campaign team and all those out of work staffers from the other campaigns will sign on to his campaign as soon as this is settled. Obama has a serious fund raising base, boots on the ground, the unions will fall behind the Democrat because it is never ever in their best interests to go with the Republican. There will be a Democrat in the White House in 2009, and I am not talking Leiberman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections