Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:36 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,178,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
What Gergen said was absolutely right. Every candidate--especially the Democrats--have an obligation to say "if you're voting for me because you'd never vote my opponent because of their race, then I don't want your vote".
Yeah. As soon as the other candidate says "if you're voting for me because you'd never vote my opponent because of their sex, then I don't want your vote".

You know, "President" is not an entry level position nor does it have Affirmative Action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 11:38 AM

162 posts, read 271,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Will Obama be asked to reject the 95% black vote that is voting for him simply because he is a black man? The hypocrisy of the media is laughable. For the record, I would never in a million years vote for either one and will hold my nose when I likely vote for McCain, I just hate the double standard.
Comments like this make me laugh because the people who say this are well aware that there is a difference. I'm very against double standards but there IS a difference on the most part.

Do you think approximately 75% (not 90%) of the blacks who voted for Obama voted for him because they don't like white people? If that were the case, blacks wouldn't have been voting through history since most candidates are white. In the 1940s, blacks would have never protested to vote because the candidates are always white. Why would they want to vote for a white person since all black people (according to you) are apparently racist? This country is run by white people.

80% of the hicks in West Virginia said race played a role in their decision which very racist and plays up to the stereotypes people in redneck Appalachia hold.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:48 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,166,021 times
Racism, by its simplest definition, is discrimination based on race. - wikipedia

So, Whether voting for or against, race is the determining factor that causes racists to discriminate. There is no difference aside from which candidate you support. Try being objective. Or, how about we stop putting people into arbitrary groups that our politicians can use to divide us and pander to every couple of years in exchange for our continued allegiance. Is that too much to ask for from the non-racists?

Old 05-21-2008, 11:56 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,547,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Yeah. As soon as the other candidate says "if you're voting for me because you'd never vote my opponent because of their sex, then I don't want your vote".
Obama and McCain are both men.

Quote:
You know, "President" is not an entry level position nor does it have Affirmative Action.
Can you explain what you mean, please?

Old 05-21-2008, 11:57 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,018,166 times
Since "Obama the Uniter" has made the age, income, and education level of voters an issue, perhaps he should tell all of his young cult members that they are NOT to vote for him just because they think he's "cool" and some political reincarnation of Tupac and that he will not beat the "ageism" drum against McCain, as he is showing signs of doing. Obama has gotten away with playing the race card through his surrogates, glorifying youth while trying to scare the elderly, and dumbing-down the process into a "rock star" tour that is light on issues and big on mindless chanting.

If "racist" voters are supporting Hillary and the talking heads are calling on her to disavow them, then Obama should also be called upon to disavow the American Idolization of the political process. Perhaps there could be monitors at his "events" to rip up the voter registration card of any idiot who starts a mindless chant, yells "I love you, Barack!", faints in his glorious presence, and demands a kiss from him.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:59 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,211,794 times
this is so stupid,
and as usual, Hillary is the one that needs to jump through hoops.
there are racist with black faces just like there are racists with white faces,
there are also sexist who are also opperating in this deal, listen to the media
and a whole lot of folks right here.
Obama should say the same thing, think he will?? yeah, when pigs fly.
think any one here that supports him thinks he should? hell no.
you people need to come on into the real world

Old 05-21-2008, 12:04 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,527,461 times
Hillary cannot reject the racist voters who supported her. Without them, she'd be done by now. The only reason she is still in the race is because of her redneck supporters. The more educated and progressive whites have resoundingly rejected her brand of politics.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:04 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,178,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post

Can you explain what you mean, please?
Experience counts. Your resume is all voters need to look at. Running for President is applying for the job of running this country.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:15 PM

439 posts, read 606,130 times
I think a big part of why Hillary didn't win is because of the people she had running her campaign in the first place. That the fact that she thought she would have it all wrapped up by Super Tuesday.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:16 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,810,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Experience counts. Your resume is all voters need to look at. Running for President is applying for the job of running this country.
Also, a fabricated resume doesn't take you anywhere of course.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections