Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 05:15 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
You're assuming that there was an appeal to racism after Texas. Your timing is right but your assessment of cause and effect are wrong. The white vote swung to Hillary (not only in Appalachia but in states like Pennsylvania and Indiana) when the Rev Wright issue came to the fore and it effectively ended Obama's attempt to pass himself off as a post-racial candidate. Obama's association with Wright made him out to be a scary Negro and working class whites decided that he no longer deserved the benefit of the doubt. Is that racism? I don't think so. I think it reflects the result of the greater familiarity that inevitably comes from the scrutiny that all candidates undergo in this winnowing process. Some survive, some don't. Obama will survive but he is unquestionably severely wounded. Whether the wound is mortal is yet to be seen.
And you assume that I'm one of those who's predisposed to easily believing that Obama is an undercover white-hating Black Panther throwback, based solely on his relationship with a pastor that some meaningless people disapprove of.

You also assume that I subscribe to the notion that there was some discovery of wrongdoing on Obama's part. And that such "wrongdoing" should be imputed to him as a matter of due course. Again, even the assumption of wrongdoing is believable (where any other candidate, with the exception of Bill Richardson, would receive all benefit of doubt).

So yes; there's some racism going on. Certainly not widespread. Only among those predisposed to believe the worst, while evidence to the contrary is readily available to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 05:25 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
And you assume that I'm one of those who's predisposed to easily believing that Obama is an undercover white-hating Black Panther throwback, based solely on his relationship with a pastor that some meaningless people disapprove of.

You also assume that I subscribe to the notion that there was some discovery of wrongdoing on Obama's part. And that such "wrongdoing" should be imputed to him as a matter of due course. Again, even the assumption of wrongdoing is believable (where any other candidate, with the exception of Bill Richardson, would receive all benefit of doubt).

So yes; there's some racism going on. Certainly not widespread. Only among those predisposed to believe the worst, while evidence to the contrary is readily available to them.
yes, evidence like this....
“Barack Obama's Record

“Record of Advocacy: Obama has worked to promote civil rights and fairness in the criminal justice system throughout his career. As a community organizer, Obama helped 150,000 African Americans register to vote.”

Notice that the document doesn't say "150,000 American citizens." It says, "150,000 African Americans."

Barack Obama's Plan

“Strengthen Civil Rights Enforcement

“Obama will reverse the politicization that has occurred in the Bush Administration's Department of Justice. He will put an end to the ideological litmus tests used to fill positions within the Civil Rights Division.”

Bottom line: More quotas, ahoy!

“Hate Crimes on the Rise: The number of hate crimes increased nearly 8 percent to 7,700 incidents in 2006.”

Obama's speech deploring the prosecution of the six black football players in Jena, LA who stomped a white youth unconscious suggests that the candidate has an awfully Who? Whom? view of what comprises a hate crime

Old 05-21-2008, 05:41 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE1 View Post
80% of the hicks in West Virginia said race played a role in their decision which very racist and plays up to the stereotypes people in redneck Appalachia hold.
I can't believe that noone else called him on this. Where did you get the 80% figure? The data I saw on CNN was more in the 20% range -- shamefull yes, but not 80%!

Old 05-21-2008, 05:46 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
I can't believe that noone else called him on this. Where did you get the 80% figure? The data I saw on CNN was more in the 20% range -- shamefull yes, but not 80%!
I did, look @ post #45:

Once again, another intellectual elitist proves that "liberal tolerance" is America's greatest oxymoron.

This was more in response to his pathological hate then his outright lying of #'s. But a fool leaves his mark just like a skunk.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:46 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
With all due respect, what a dumb, broad sweeping generalization. I don't care about race, as a matter of fact I have a rather unique take on it; I don't believe in different races. I believe in one race, the human race. Skin is clothing. Heart, mind and soul matter to me and most people, I believe.

Backfist,
Where did I criticize anyone? I merely pointed out a double standard, I couldn't care less why someone voted for a candidate.
And with all due respect to you.... that "dumb, broad generalization" is a sad fact America has to deal with, regardless of what you or anyone else has to say about race.
Think about it. How many times a year do you hear stories and see things that are racist and offensive?
Look, it's good that you think that a person's skin color doesn't matter... and it really doesn't. But their will ALWAYS be people who will be that way. As long as they exist, race will always be an issue in just about everything. PERIOD.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:49 PM

580 posts, read 1,680,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
Its all out in the open now.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
I support Hillary Clinton

They were suggesting that she should make that statement, although there are also alot of Barack Obama voters who is voting for him because Hillary Clinton is a female. So you think Barack Obama should come out and tell them dont vote for him due to those reasons as well?

Woot Hillary

Old 05-21-2008, 05:52 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And with all due respect to you.... that "dumb, broad generalization" is a sad fact America has to deal with, regardless of what you or anyone else has to say about race.
Think about it. How many times a year do you hear stories and see things that are racist and offensive?
Look, it's good that you think that a person's skin color doesn't matter... and it really doesn't. But their will ALWAYS be people who will be that way. As long as they exist, race will always be an issue in just about everything. PERIOD.
Of course there will be. As there will always be lying, theft, hate, bitterness, unforgivness........etc. We are humans and I call it sin. One can call it the flawed nature of mankind but these things have always and will always exist. There has never, is not and never will be peace on earth as long as mankind is in charge. There is no precedence for it.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:56 PM

524 posts, read 839,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
There certainly is some racism going on. Is this what you meant?

Jeremiah Wright:

“In the 21st century, white America got a wake-up call after 9/11/01. White America and the western world came to realize that people of color had not gone away, faded into the woodwork or just ‘disappeared’ as the Great White West kept on its merry way of ignoring black concerns.”

“Barack knows what it means living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich white people. Hillary would never know that. Hillary ain’t never been called a ******. Hillary has never had a people defined as a non-person."

Jesse Jackson, Jr.
(obama's campaign co-chair)

"The natural reminder here is O.J. [Simpson]—how does an African-American candidate attack a white woman?"

Michelle Obama

"Earlier in my college career, there was no doubt in my mind that as a member of the Black community I was somehow obligated to this community and would utilize all of my present and future resources to benefit this community first and foremost. My experiences at Princeton have made me far more aware of my "Blackness" than ever before."

"It's easier to hold onto your own stereotypes and misconceptions, it makes you feel justified in your own ignorance. That's America."

"The truth is... someone is going to have to give up a piece of their pie so that someone else can have more."

And let's not forget her soon-to-be-released "railing against whitey" video. I can't wait to hear the excuses for that!

Old 05-21-2008, 05:58 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Of course there will be. As there will always be lying, theft, hate, bitterness, unforgivness........etc. We are humans and I call it sin. One can call it the flawed nature of mankind but these things have always and will always exist. There has never, is not and never will be peace on earth as long as mankind is in charge. There is no precedence for it.
Sad, but true.....

Old 05-21-2008, 06:04 PM

208 posts, read 605,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
You're assuming that there was an appeal to racism after Texas. Your timing is right but your assessment of cause and effect are wrong. The white vote swung to Hillary (not only in Appalachia but in states like Pennsylvania and Indiana) when the Rev Wright issue came to the fore and it effectively ended Obama's attempt to pass himself off as a post-racial candidate. Obama's association with Wright made him out to be a scary Negro and working class whites decided that he no longer deserved the benefit of the doubt. Is that racism? I don't think so. I think it reflects the result of the greater familiarity that inevitably comes from the scrutiny that all candidates undergo in this winnowing process. Some survive, some don't. Obama will survive but he is unquestionably severely wounded. Whether the wound is mortal is yet to be seen.
I don't understand why the Appalachian states are being picked on. She won in some midwestern, western, and northeastern states as well. Why pick on one region?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections