Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:19 PM

162 posts, read 271,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Racism, by its simplest definition, is discrimination based on race. - wikipedia

So, Whether voting for or against, race is the determining factor that causes racists to discriminate. There is no difference aside from which candidate you support. Try being objective. Or, how about we stop putting people into arbitrary groups that our politicians can use to divide us and pander to every couple of years in exchange for our continued allegiance. Is that too much to ask for from the non-racists?
No, it's not the same thing. A lot of women want Hillary Clinton to win, partly because she's a female and females have been underrepresented when it comes to politics. I have no problem with that at all.

But a lot of people are voting against Obama out of HATE. There is a difference.

I do have a problem with the racist Hillary rednecks who will not vote within their party lines because of HATRED. They don't want to vote for Obama because they are backwards and uneducated and don't like black people. Huge difference.

If Hillary Clinton were the nominee, I guarantee you 95% of blacks would back her in the general election. Can't say the same for Hillary Clinton rednecks even though her and Barack Obama basically share the same platforms.

This country would be a lot more progressive if those useless pockets of redneck-ville in Appalachia were somehow wiped off the face of this planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 12:25 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,608,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE1 View Post
Do you think approximately 75% (not 90%) of the blacks who voted for Obama voted for him because they don't like white people? If that were the case, blacks wouldn't have been voting through history since most candidates are white.

I dont have any stats or articles to back up my recollection, but wasn't a big concern of the Dems during Bill Clinton's campaigns that the percentage of black voters was historically much lower than any other racial category of voter? It seems from what I recall, your argument was the case for many years. Even if there was some voting done, the black vote was relatively underrepresentive of the community for many decades of white presidential elections. Such a high turnout in this election compared to all elections past would appear on the surface to prove Sonrise's concerns if your argument has any validity at all.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:32 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,791,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
You know good and well there is a difference. Black people are not supporting Obama because they dont want to see a white president in office. Hell they have been voting for white presidents for every since they were able to vote, even when they had the opportunity to vote for Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton yet the vast majority still supported the white candidate over them. Its more about being qaulified and being black is the added bonus for African-Americans because they rightfully want to see the first African-American president. The question is will white people support a black candidate? Black people have already been though the test.

But also understand the signifigance here. There have been 43 white president and 0 black presidents.
Actually, there have been 42 white presidents, and 1 walking, talking pile of ----, the current occupant.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:37 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,866,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE1 View Post
No, it's not the same thing. A lot of women want Hillary Clinton to win, partly because she's a female and females have been underrepresented when it comes to politics. I have no problem with that at all.

But a lot of people are voting against Obama out of HATE. There is a difference.

I do have a problem with the racist Hillary rednecks who will not vote within their party lines because of HATRED. They don't want to vote for Obama because they are backwards and uneducated and don't like black people. Huge difference.

If Hillary Clinton were the nominee, I guarantee you 95% of blacks would back her in the general election. Can't say the same for Hillary Clinton rednecks even though her and Barack Obama basically share the same platforms.

This country would be a lot more progressive if those useless pockets of redneck-ville in Appalachia were somehow wiped off the face of this planet.
Wipe an area off the face of this planet??? "Redneck-ville"??? Wow, your post seems to spew the same hate that you are protesting.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:49 PM

152 posts, read 335,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I dont have any stats or articles to back up my recollection, but wasn't a big concern of the Dems during Bill Clinton's campaigns that the percentage of black voters was historically much lower than any other racial category of voter? It seems from what I recall, your argument was the case for many years. Even if there was some voting done, the black vote was relatively underrepresentive of the community for many decades of white presidential elections. Such a high turnout in this election compared to all elections past would appear on the surface to prove Sonrise's concerns if your argument has any validity at all.
I haven't heard or read any stat on the high turnout being just among black voters. The high turnout is among all voters, I'm pretty sure. I think another poster brought up a good point too about this not being the first time a black person has run for the nomination. if blacks were so concerned about voting for another black, they would have supported Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton in droves when these men ran. But that did not happen.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:50 PM

152 posts, read 335,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Wipe an area off the face of this planet??? "Redneck-ville"??? Wow, your post seems to spew the same hate that you are protesting.
Yeah, that was kinda mean, wasn't it?

Old 05-21-2008, 12:52 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,734,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
What Gergen said was absolutely right. Every candidate--especially the Democrats--have an obligation to say "if you're voting for me because you'd never vote my opponent because of their race, then I don't want your vote".

Is Gergen's advice too late for the Dem contest? Yes. The appeal to the Appalachian racist vote began after Texas. That's when people like Gergen should have come forward. But the media has some responsibility here, too. They also stood by and let this play out; all for the sake of good ratings. To begin the narrative now, is pretty disengenuous.
You're assuming that there was an appeal to racism after Texas. Your timing is right but your assessment of cause and effect are wrong. The white vote swung to Hillary (not only in Appalachia but in states like Pennsylvania and Indiana) when the Rev Wright issue came to the fore and it effectively ended Obama's attempt to pass himself off as a post-racial candidate. Obama's association with Wright made him out to be a scary Negro and working class whites decided that he no longer deserved the benefit of the doubt. Is that racism? I don't think so. I think it reflects the result of the greater familiarity that inevitably comes from the scrutiny that all candidates undergo in this winnowing process. Some survive, some don't. Obama will survive but he is unquestionably severely wounded. Whether the wound is mortal is yet to be seen.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:53 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,956,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Since "Obama the Uniter" has made the age, income, and education level of voters an issue, perhaps he should tell all of his young cult members that they are NOT to vote for him just because they think he's "cool" and some political reincarnation of Tupac.
I like this idea!!!

I'll even write the speech for him.

Now some of you out there have told the press that you're voting for me because you think I'm cool. And I'm here to tell you that it's not about being cool. It's about the future of America being in your hands. If you're just voting for me because you think I'm cool, I'd rather you didn't vote for me. Because I'm not running to be a movie star, I'm running to be the President! I want you to vote for me because you like my ideas, you like my policies, you like what I stand for.

It's not about voting for the young guy because you don't want to see an old guy in office. Please, don't vote for me because I'm a young man--vote for me because I'm the right man. Age doesn't matter--it's all about how well you can do the job. And if you think I'm some political reincarnation of Tupac, don't vote for me. Vote for me because I am the incarnation... of the president you want leading this nation.

Can't you just hear him saying that? It'd be great!

Old 05-21-2008, 01:01 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Well, shall i propose perhaps, " No Redneck Left Behind Act"......is that fair?

Old 05-21-2008, 01:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I think Obama needs to say don't vote for me just because your black and that is where I have spent my public life working. Why would hillaries voters reject her when she has not been such a one esided candidate.If Obama was white do you seious beleive he would be getting the amunt of black support he is getting agianst bill clintons wife with the clinton history of supporting blicks.It is certainly understandable that black would vote for another black but they can't thnikthat wjites fail to see his associations with people like the REv Wright and such.They don't owe Obama anyhting and they like the clintons as they have befroe Obama was even a factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections