Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Trump Run As An Independent?
Yes 10 17.54%
No 47 82.46%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 12:02 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times

Advertisements

Joe Biden won 81 million votes in 2020 for a reason. The name of the reason is Donald Trump.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 07-31-2022 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 01:13 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Joe Biden won 81 million votes in 2020 for a reason. The name of the reason is Donald Trump.
After 4 years of his leadership do you think him not being Donald Trump will still be reason enough for him to win 81 million votes again?

Old 07-31-2022, 01:30 PM

13,451 posts, read 4,289,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
After 4 years of his leadership do you think him not being Donald Trump will still be reason enough for him to win 81 million votes again?

He doesn't believe that. Even his own party doesn't like him. They are trying to sell that Biden is the most popular President ever. Better than Obama in filling up stadiums or that Trump is this evil person.

Just look at history with the Spanish flu from 1918 to 1920:

Democrats went in 1916 from winning 30 states and 9.1 million votes and power to 11 states and the base stayed the same in 1920 with 9.1 votes and out of power. Meanwhile Republicans went from 18 states and 8.5 million votes in 1916 to 37 states and 16.1 million votes in 1920. They doubled their base in 4 years. It was the pandemic not because Harding was well loved or filling up stadiums.

2020 was the same, the difference was it wasn't a 1 sided decision. It was very close which I already put the numbers. Trump added 12 million votes to his base from 2016 which is unheard from a losing sitting President and from the Democrats from 1916 to 1920. Weird huh?

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 07-31-2022 at 01:43 PM..

Old 07-31-2022, 02:35 PM

6,102 posts, read 2,723,766 times
He will run as an insurrectionist which will get him tons of votes.

Old 07-31-2022, 02:40 PM

63 posts, read 24,865 times
As narcissistic as he is, he'll start his own party.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:00 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
I disagree. 2020 was an odd year. Pandemic during an election year threw everything upside down and Biden barely won enough states in the mid-west to get it and because people thought he would turn around the economy and he is old school blue collar Democrat.

I don't see any Democrat in 2024 winning the mid-west. Not Pete or Kamala or Warren. All Trump has to do is run on the economy and drill, drill, drill at home since the Democrats declared war on coal and most things are run on coal and the reason for the high prices and shortage.

Let's see if Democrats will continue with their slogan of "Let's pay more and sacrifice to safe the planet" and if that will be the winning formula in 2024.

Third parties usually doesn't help the party in power and they don't make much wave. People always vote with their pockets.

People realize now the importance of fuel. It runs our interstate commerce, transportation, everyday living and jobs. Whoever pushes to drill, drill, drill at home will have the advantage over the other person that declares war on coal and expects the people to sacrifice and buy electric cars. Way more gas cars on the road than electric by far.
I don't disagree with most of your comments, but I think there are a lot of voters, particularly younger ones, that will not vote for a candidate who comes out too strongly for "drill, drill, drill" if it is regardless of the consequences. As much as Trump's supporters like to claim the only reason people voted against him is because of mean tweets, the fact is that is not the case - at least not for many. There are policy decisions many disagreed with, and this was a big one. Of course the Democrats have made the classic mistake of then determining that what people want is the exact opposite, which is also not what many want. Speaking for myself and I suspect at least a few other moderates, I would prefer to see a thoughtful balance. But I think any candidate who features as a major part of his or her platform "drill, drill. drill" and denies that climate change is real and/or that it poses a threat will lose the younger voters by a wide margin.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I don't disagree with most of your comments, but I think there are a lot of voters, particularly younger ones, that will not vote for a candidate who comes out too strongly for "drill, drill, drill" if it is regardless of the consequences. As much as Trump's supporters like to claim the only reason people voted against him is because of mean tweets, the fact is that is not the case - at least not for many. There are policy decisions many disagreed with, and this was a big one. Of course the Democrats have made the classic mistake of then determining that what people want is the exact opposite, which is also not what many want. Speaking for myself and I suspect at least a few other moderates, I would prefer to see a thoughtful balance. But I think any candidate who features as a major part of his or her platform "drill, drill. drill" and denies that climate change is real and/or that it poses a threat will lose the younger voters by a wide margin.

They will stay home because I don't see them by large numbers voting for Pete, Kamala or Warren. These people are not Obamas or JFK's and the Democrats will try to stay in power in 2024 so is not like younger voters will come out and decide the election for Pete, Kamala or Warren when the current platform has been a disaster. Hopefully, these young kids by 2024, would be independent, will have a job and start paying the bills and fell the cost of living and see if they want to keep sacrificing for climate change when the top don't. I think many have figured out the game.

The people have to decide if the will be willing to sacrifice more for climate change when other countries and elites are really all mouth. I think at the end they would want a candidate that best defends their interests like a lawyer and it starts in your pocket and daily living not the feelings of others. That's my guess.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:34 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
I doubt Trump would ever run as an independent again.
He tried it once and went nowhere before he became a Republican.

Could he be elected as an Independent now? No.
He needs the full support of a big party. Without it, he won't run again.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I doubt Trump would ever run as an independent again.
He tried it once and went nowhere before he became a Republican.

Why should he ? He has a big base in the GOP and going independent will guarantee a win for the Democrats. Why would he want to do that?

Old 07-31-2022, 04:19 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
They will stay home because I don't see them by large numbers voting for Pete, Kamala or Warren. These people are not Obamas or JFK's and the Democrats will try to stay in power in 2024 so is not like younger voters will come out and decide the election for Pete, Kamala or Warren when the current platform has been a disaster. Hopefully, these young kids by 2024, would be independent, will have a job and start paying the bills and fell the cost of living and see if they want to keep sacrificing for climate change when the top don't. I think many have figured out the game.

The people have to decide if the will be willing to sacrifice more for climate change when other countries and elites are really all mouth. I think at the end they would want a candidate that best defends their interests like a lawyer and it starts in your pocket and daily living not the feelings of others. That's my guess.
I definitely agree it will be a turnout game. I expect that the Democrats will make the mistake of re-nominating Biden or possibly nominating Harris his "natural" (in political party standard thinking) successor, and that will make the Republicans' path easier.

It will be an interesting cycle - I'm not sure what to really expect. However, if Trump fails to get the nomination and decides to run as an independent I think the Democrats win. I also wouldn't be surprised if Trump threatens exactly this to help him get the nomination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections