Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:15 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,956,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You have to start somewhere and sometime.

If clinton wouldn't have vetoed drilling in 1995, we would see a major difference at the pump today.
The low gas prices that we have enjoyed for the past 30 years or so have not helped us gain energy independence. It is only now that people are beginning to feel the effects in their wallets that any real progress is actually being made. So I am glad that Clinton never approved offshore drilling because all that would have done would have been to delay this situation and make our kids and grandkids deal with it. Doesn't seem to be a responsible way to go about things, imo.
I wish that Clinton would have invested more resources into developing the energy that we will be needing in the future, hopefully our next President will be more interested in our future as a nation and not just the hear and now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 09:15 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,444,292 times
Quote:
I see nothing wrong with changing a position on this topic. Back then, gas prices were not an issue - NOW, they are.

Only a fool would continue to stick their fingers in their ears and claim there is no need.
McCain's known flip flops include:

Ethanol
Cuba embargo
Bush tax cuts
Gay marriage
Roe v Wade
Setting a timetable for withdrawal from Iraq
Confederate flag

I'm sure I missed a few. I repeat, McCain is a man who lacks conviction. This call for the lifting of the offshore drilling ban is just the latest example.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:17 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,006,428 times
Again, you try to deflect by hi-jacking the thread. This is about Off-shore drilling.

I know it's hard for you - but try to stick to the topic. Thanks

Old 06-18-2008, 09:20 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,006,428 times
Quote:
The low gas prices that we have enjoyed for the past 30 years or so have not helped us gain energy independence. It is only now that people are beginning to feel the effects in their wallets that any real progress is actually being made. So I am glad that Clinton never approved offshore drilling because all that would have done would have been to delay this situation and make our kids and grandkids deal with it. Doesn't seem to be a responsible way to go about things, imo.
I wish that Clinton would have invested more resources into developing the energy that we will be needing in the future, hopefully our next President will be more interested in our future as a nation and not just the hear and now.
Windmills and solar panels are just not going to satisfy our thirst for energy. We need a broad-based policy, that utilizes the vast resources we have in this country. Nuclear needs to be in the mix as well.

I say screw the enviros/wackos. They have been holding this country hostage with their naive and dangerous policies, implemented and nurtured by the dems/libs.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:23 AM

509 posts, read 692,588 times
You may buy a couple years but at what risk.
Short term narrow minds, will think this is good.

I thought Mccain was better.
There is not enough oil in the world to keep it spinning.
Lets get on with developing the solutions we should have done 25 years ago.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:24 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,444,292 times
Quote:
Again, you try to deflect by hi-jacking the thread. This is about Off-shore drilling.

I know it's hard for you - but try to stick to the topic. Thanks
Testy aren't we? Hardly surprising considering the polls released this morning. Anyway, if you look closely, you will notice that I incorporated the subject of the OP in my previous post. Illustrating McCain's many previous flip flops puts this latest call for an end to the offshore drilling ban into it's proper context.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:28 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,956,167 times
Quote:
Windmills and solar panels are just not going to satisfy our thirst for energy. We need a broad-based policy, that utilizes the vast resources we have in this country. Nuclear needs to be in the mix as well.

I say screw the enviros/wackos. They have been holding this country hostage with their naive and dangerous policies, implemented and nurtured by the dems/libs.
Perhaps we need to learn how to manage our thirst a little better, then.

And I think you might be underestimating the usefullness of many renewable resources that we are only now beginning to see, there are many possibilities, leading the way in new energy development could be a great thing for our country.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:29 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,683,746 times
Offshore drilling gives the US only 2 years worth of oil.

It's pretty selfish to want to mess up the shorelines of our country for 2 years of oil.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:38 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,216,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I think we can see where this latest flip flop came from. McCain read the tea leaves i.e. the latest poll on offshore drilling... and then proceeded to call for an end to the ban.

This man has no real convictions and lacks ethics and morals. What a candidate.

I guess you don't think Obama's flip/flop's are worthy of mention??
He has changed his mind often as well as stolen ideas from Hillary
such as his latest to tax the oil companies on windfall profits.

Obama, what a loser!!

Old 06-18-2008, 09:47 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,979,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Attached poll shows 67% favor offshore drilling and 64% think it will lower gas prices. McCain is already on board. Bush is giving a speech at 10:30 advocating so they are in the win column on this issue.

Rasmussen Reports™: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election.

Most voters favor the resumption of offshore drilling in the United States and expect it to lower prices at the pump, even as John McCain has announced his support for states that want to explore for oil and gas off their coasts.

A new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey—conducted before McCain announced his intentions on the issue--finds that 67% of voters believe that drilling should be allowed off the coasts of California, Florida and other states. Only 18% disagree and 15% are undecided. Conservative and moderate voters strongly support this approach, while liberals are more evenly divided (46% of liberals favor drilling, 37% oppose).
Have to say I agree. Looks like this one should be tallied as a score for McCain. I'm surprised he included Florida--but people seem to approve so far, and that's the bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections