Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:08 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,768,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
What does this mean?
Have A Great Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 10:31 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,644,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
I looked it over, per your request. My concern is this: If The Magic Negro can accomplish all his ideologies, what will happen when the aggressors see him for what he really is (in my mind), an appeaser, a placater, a front, a "paper tiger," an enabler? As you wrote elsewhere about a certain book we (you and I) discussed, it could be horrible.

This is a very salient point. They will be overcome with jihad when they find out he can't deliver us up to them!! He really needs to keep his vest on at all times and his massive security very close by.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:39 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,855,850 times
obama has the exact same foreign policy that mccain and bush has had.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:25 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnari
Do you honestly believe this?

I don't read anything written by Fareed Zakaria.
Evidently you dont read anything written by thread-posters, either - I'd asked that people please read the whole editorial before commenting.

I realize it's a whopping two pages long
Those of us in academia know that Zakaria is an intellectual Muslim elitist, educated at western universities.

It's ludicrous to suggest that he speaks on behalf of Muslims.

If you want to read something representative, read Kiren Aziz Chaudry or Mustapha Kamel Al-Sayyid or Marina Ottoway.

Or better yet, read Mohammed Talbi. Talbi is a Tunisian. He writes a scathing attack in "A Record of Failure." My favorite quote from Talbi is, "[We have] the freedom to shut up" (he was talking about what happened when the UN Commission on Human Rights came to Tunisia and no one spoke out, because the only freedom anyone has is the freedom to shut up, unless they want to be exiled or imprisoned). The major daily in Tunisia ran a 12 column blank editorial the day after the UN Commission left.

Imagine opening up the newspaper and where you expect an editorial to be, it's nothing but blank spaces. That was the editors' way of protesting.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:53 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,735,237 times
Any American foreign policy, realist or idealist, must start with a clear understanding of America's interests. When you have someone like the Obama's with such a jaundiced view of the U.S. how can they be trusted to define, articlulate and advocate for America's interests on the international stage? That's the problem with entrusting foreign policy to Obama, not whether we should remove the bulk of our troops from Iraq on a set timetable. Everybody knows that that is simple posturing and pandering to the nutroots and the far left Democrat base. Obama is so cosmopolitan that he is barely American. He ought to run for U.N. Secretary General. That would be more appropriate for him.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:11 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Those of us in academia know that Zakaria is an intellectual Muslim elitist, educated at western universities.

It's ludicrous to suggest that he speaks on behalf of Muslims.
? Who said he did? This is Newsweek, man. The editorial describes Barack Obama's evident world view. Nowhere is a Muslim point of view even suggested. Only one paragraph even mentions - just - Obama's position on Iraq, and there only uses it as an example of his firm support for US national interest over further bloodshed and expenditure (which he feels would continue if the US continues to push a democracy mandate in and on Iraq). Is that the part of the editorial you mean? (edit after reading your next section re Talbi - did that paragraph remind you of the Talbi article?)

Quote:
If you want to read something representative, read Kiren Aziz Chaudry or Mustapha Kamel Al-Sayyid or Marina Ottoway.
Naw, I'll stick with Tiger Beat.

Quote:
Or better yet, read Mohammed Talbi. Talbi is a Tunisian. He writes a scathing attack in "A Record of Failure."
Looking inside The Google for AROF I found it cited everywhere and the first para (or maybe the start of a summary) here; I can't get the Journal of Democracy's site (http://www.journalofdemocracy.org/articles/toc/tocjul00.html - broken link) to load. That para, though, indicates that Obama is thinking along the same lines, as the despised half-breed Zakaria, who's no doubt had AROF read to him by some learned academician, picked up.
Quote:
My favorite quote from Talbi is, "[We have] the freedom to shut up" (he was talking about what happened when the UN Commission on Human Rights came to Tunisia and no one spoke out, because the only freedom anyone has is the freedom to shut up, unless they want to be exiled or imprisoned). The major daily in Tunisia ran a 12 column blank editorial the day after the UN Commission left.

Imagine opening up the newspaper and where you expect an editorial to be, it's nothing but blank spaces. That was the editors' way of protesting.
Dood, I appreciate art. Too bad no one here can shut up long enough to speak so eloquently.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:54 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,762,395 times
Thanks for the article, and for the Talbi quote. I enjoyed both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections