Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:36 PM

280 posts, read 686,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
He, he.

I am very familiar with the bible, bobby joe, I just interpret it a little differently than some psycho zealots....ERRRR..... certain brands of Christians do.
Typical dem response, I'm sure you are the same type of "Christian" that Barry Obama is. Good luck with that, I'm sure the Bible that you are interpreting is all for murder, abortion, homosexuality, so on and so forth...But don't flatter yourself HilBily4, it would take an actual Christian with a real sense of the Bible to actually "get under my goat".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 07:49 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,751,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseFullaBoys View Post
Typical dem response, I'm sure you are the same type of "Christian" that Barry Obama is. Good luck with that, I'm sure the Bible that you are interpreting is all for murder, abortion, homosexuality, so on and so forth...But don't flatter yourself HilBily4, it would take an actual Christian with a real sense of the Bible to actually "get under my goat".
Are you voting for John McCain? If you are then you are supporting divorce and adultery. I have a feeling you are somehow okay with those two.
Quote:

“It was also said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Matthew 5:31-32
What does the bible say about adulterers?

Quote:
MAT 5:27 "You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.'28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.15:19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.19:9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."18 "Which ones?" the man inquired. Jesus replied, "'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony,
Note abortion or murder as you call it, is in the same category as adultery?

Old 08-14-2008, 07:55 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,797,311 times
Quote:
LOL. I am all New Testament baby. Turn the other cheek.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:36 AM

532 posts, read 859,462 times
Thumbs down Bemoaning abortions

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I think the trick is, dont have sex with someone whose baby you dont want. This society however encourages irresponsible sex. But you cant legislate popular culture per se.

Abortions have always been and will always be. Thats just a fact, it's pointless to bemoan it. Maybe the most realistic way to cope with the reality of it is to adopt the "safe, legal and rare" POV.
Of course abortions will always happen, but it isn't pointless to bemoan that fact. Our love ones die, and we grieve over the loss, even though it doesn't bring them back. It shows that we are humans who care. I hope we never lose that ability to mourn the loss of a loved one, be it an older person, or a life that has only begun. There should always be someone who weeps. Everyone deserves to be missed by someone.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:11 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Please define "get under my goat" .

Do you mean to milk it?

Do you mean "get under my skin"?

Do you mean "get my goat" ?

Old 08-15-2008, 01:17 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,081,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
Lets be real, you, like most of us are no more than a "Cafeteria Catholic", it's a lot easier that way. Let's call a spade a spade.
I was not pronouncing judgement on other Christians. I was saying how I deal with the abortion issue and the current slate of candidates. Were we all perfect, we would already be dead. Now please tell me how voting for John McCain is going to reduce the incidence of abortion.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:18 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Not sure how you got Bush into the mix but oh well will Dumbo cure sickle cell?. Meanwhile back ON topic, Christians are anti murder, many MANY see the termination of an unborn CHILD (since we can assume it's not a tyrannosaurus) as the worst kind of murder. Jesus was about as non violent as one could get, sucking a fetus out of a womb falls into the violent mode.
So let's hear your solution to ending abortions....

Anybody....????????????

Old 08-15-2008, 02:56 AM

1,827 posts, read 2,589,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
I was not pronouncing judgement on other Christians. I was saying how I deal with the abortion issue and the current slate of candidates. Were we all perfect, we would already be dead. Now please tell me how voting for John McCain is going to reduce the incidence of abortion.
Sadly abortion is here to stay but infanticide like the empty suit supports may be another matter.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:43 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,081,835 times
Quote:
Sadly abortion is here to stay but infanticide like the empty suit supports may be another matter.
So you concede that John McCain will do nothing to further the anti abortion cause. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:42 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,484,248 times
Many Religious Voters Favor Obama, Poll Finds

Originally posted by blacknight04.

Many Religious Voters Favor Obama, Poll Finds - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Quote:
Among most other Christian groups, the Democratic candidate continues to enjoy a comfortable lead. Obama has a huge advantage among non-Christians, atheists, and agnostics, but he also leads among nonevangelical, born-again Christians (43 to 31), Christians who are neither born-again nor evangelical (44 to 28), Catholics (39 to 29), and Protestants (43 to 34). "If the current preferences stand pat," says Barna, "this would mark the first time in more than two decades that the born-again vote has swung toward the Democratic candidate."
Also from the cited article:

Quote:
The Barna poll uses unusual methodology. Many pollsters take voters at their word when they say they are evangelical Christians, but the Barna survey is unusually specific about its categorizations. It asks voters a battery of nine questions about their religious beliefs--whether, for example, they think the Bible is accurate in everything it teaches, and whether they feel a personal responsibility to share their beliefs about Christ with non-Christians. Only when all nine questions are answered affirmatively are voters categorized as "evangelical."

This significantly reduces the survey's estimate of the total number of evangelical voters. By Barna's estimate, only 8 percent of U.S. voters are truly evangelical. "That is a much smaller group than you might think," says George Barna, the poll's director.

Not everybody agrees with his methodology, of course. Regardless, there is little doubt that evangelicals are still a highly motivated, well-organized voting bloc. Nearly 90 percent of evangelicals in the Barna study said they intend to vote in November.

These numbers certainly aren't set in stone, and they are bound to change before November. The first harsh months of the campaign, including the controversy surrounding Obama's former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, have shaken some Christian voters' early confidence in him. During the past two months, Obama's lead has eroded substantially among nonevangelical, born-again Christians (down 9 percentage points), active Christians (a 20-point drop), Protestants (down 13 points), and Catholics (down 11 points).

When the pre-election advertising campaigns begin this fall--particularly those that emphasize Obama's support for abortion rights--those numbers may continue to drop. "There is a lot of anger toward the Bush administration," says Barna. "But faith-driven voters, in particular, are going back and re-examining their initial choice (Obama) and trying to figure out if this is really someone whose values they can live with for another four to eight years."

Is it good for the Democratic Party to lure in "religious" Americans? Does the Democratic Party really care?

Controlling the Wind (and Religious Progressives) - Steven Waldman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections