Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:48 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times

Advertisements

this is disturbing.

Amazon.com: Barack Obama: Son of Promise, Child of Hope: Nikki Grimes, Bryan Collier: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 08:50 AM

375 posts, read 782,150 times
...Yeah, giving kids of color hope that they too can dream big dreams...lets just stop the madness before it leads to the end of society as we know it, somebody call 9-1-1!

Old 08-15-2008, 08:54 AM

I have absolutely no idea what that quote means, but here is a quote from this dynamic new book.

"Even God himself talks to Barry while he's in church on Sunday, telling him: "Look around you. Now look to me. There is hope enough here to last a lifetime."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
...Yeah, giving kids of color hope that they too can dream big dreams...lets just stop the madness before it leads to the end of society as we know it, somebody call 9-1-1!

Old 08-15-2008, 08:57 AM

375 posts, read 782,150 times
Oh grow the hell up and stop trying so hard. If you want to trash the man there is far more fat-laced meat elsewhere on this forum than in a F-ing inspirational children's book.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:59 AM

um, what? I can't hear you over the anger in your demeanor. also, you can't hear me with steam coming out of your ears. perhaps you should grow up and stop taking such offense to people expressing an opinion. this book is SCARY. you are also assuming that it's inspirational. I have not trashed the man, I trashed the book. the man is WAY too easy to trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Oh grow the hell up and stop trying so hard. If you want to trash the man there is far more fat-laced meat elsewhere on this forum than in a F-ing inspirational children's book.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:09 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I have absolutely no idea what that quote means, but here is a quote from this dynamic new book.

"Even God himself talks to Barry while he's in church on Sunday, telling him: "Look around you. Now look to me. There is hope enough here to last a lifetime."
I don't know if that is a quote from the book or if it is just another example of the fevered imagination of the haters. But, either way, I don't find that quote to be frightening at all. I find it to be inspirational and hopeful. If you think God speaking to people is frightening, you might want to be still and listen for His voice yourself.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:09 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
um, what? I can't hear you over the anger in your demeanor. also, you can't hear me with steam coming out of your ears. perhaps you should grow up and stop taking such offense to people expressing an opinion. this book is SCARY. you are also assuming that it's inspirational. I have not trashed the man, I trashed the book. the man is WAY too easy to trash.
Please lay out what's so scary about an inspirational children's book.

Is it the quote you gave?

If so, I have a question.

This is the quote the right wing blogs are all slavishly copying, as you did, but because the quotation marks are illiterately placed I can't tell if "Even God himself..." is part of the children's book, or if it's just a snarky lead courtesy of the very first poster. (Im putting my money on "snarky lead," because I'll bet the book would have capitalized "Himself," something the good Christian volk over at freerepublic might forget to do.)

Could you clear up this puzzle please, and give a link?

Old 08-15-2008, 09:10 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
The cover of that books is quite weird. Obama and all his ties to religion....his outstretched hands like Jesus.....the way he says God talks to him......creepy. He is running for President, not the Pope.

Obama's religion is yet another way he is like Bushie. Remember, Bush said his "faith in God" is part of the reason for the Iraq war......"hope for the Iraqi people"......."we would liberate them and give them freedom, hope, etc"...........I see many of these same scary Bush qualities in Obama.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:17 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
awe, resorting to personal attacks? perhaps you need to read the TOS. what scares me is the ignorance of obama supporters, and the fact they are looking to infect the mind of children.
That's funny...I'm an Obama supporter and I haven't even heard of this book you say I wrote with Obama's name with which I hope to infect the mind(ONE?) of children.....

Old 08-15-2008, 09:22 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Oh my word. Has this country actually reached a point of such hate and cynical thought process that a book that attempts to inspire hope in young children is looked upon as evil and that a man running for public office must renounce his faith and belief in God? What you don't seem to grasp is that, to those of us who have a deep and sustaining faith, speaking of God and having statements regarding our faith in our conversation is as natural as breathing. We don't leave our faith at church on Sunday. It informs everything we do every day of the week and to not mention it would seem false and unnatural. That doesn't mean that we don't respect other faiths or even people with no faith. It just means that our faith is an important part of us. If you would suggest that only people with no faith or weak faith should run for public office, then I find THAT scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections