Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 08:50 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,107,820 times

Advertisements

There are Evangelicals and religious nutcases, and to assume that all Evangelicals are politically conservative or religious nutcases is a misnomer. Obama would like to appeal to Evangelicals, as would McCain, neither probably want much to do with religious nutcases. Are there religious nutcases that identify as Evengelicals? Of course, quite a few in fact, but to paint the entire Evangelical community as such shows ignorance of that particular denomination of Christianity. While for many, Obama's position on abortion will be problematic, I've spoken to more than a few for whom this is the case, however they have also reported that they are looking at the candidates in a larger context, and that abortion is now one of many issues they are considering in this election, and not the only issue.

I imagine the sort of Evangelicals Obama would be able to appeal to are these sorts:

Evangelicals for Social Action

Specifically take a look at what the Ron Sider (the founder of Evangelicals for Social Action) states on Obama and abortion

http://www.esa-online.org/Article.as...4-C64842A9706C

Sojourners: Christians for Justice and Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 08:52 AM

31,690 posts, read 41,116,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Oh, she just posted this drivel to promote her "Obama/liberals love to kill babies" theme despite having been proven wrong so many times.

Ya can't teach an old dog new tricks but
ya CAN pay an old dog to do the same old tricks.
but considering the topic is it being worthy?
It is one thing to sensationalize as we all do with other topics but I know many Evangelicals of all colors who would find this very unworthy. Maybe thats the difference I even know Evangelical churches that are very integrated? Hmmmm what kind of church do I attend?

Old 08-16-2008, 08:54 AM

So often threads in this forum and the resulting posts end up being very telling about the life styles and social circles of the posters.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:25 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,029,565 times
Quote:
"Obama/liberals love to kill babies" theme despite having been proven wrong so many times.
One can only go by how a person votes. Obama is clearly radical and has no problem putting a dying baby on the shelf - as HIS OWN VOTES show.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Evangelicals Remain Loyal to Republican Party
Abt SRBI Poll Archive

Way too steep for you obama. Let's just wait for those ads to come out about your radical pro-abortion views - including your opposition for the "born-alive" bill. You WILL be done with this group.

The following is from the link and provides greater clarity of the OP statement in light of other posts:

Republican John McCain holds a substantial 51-point lead over Barack Obama, 70% to 19%, with just 7% undecided among likely White Protestant Evangelical voters, according to the latest national Time Magazine Poll, conducted July 31 - August 4, 2008.

Notice it applies only to White Protestant Evangelical voters and is not applicable to all Evangelicals. The pollsters had their own reasons for segregating Evangelicals, thus this thread might more appropriately be labeled with a racial distinction.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:46 AM

Evangelicals, a mainstay of the Republican Party, continue to be a loyal voting block for Republicans. Evangelical voters, while overwhelmingly in favor of McCain, are not enthusiastic about his candidacy. The large number of unenthusiastic Evangelical supporters, McCain may have difficulty turning out this entire voter block because many are not enthusiastic about his candidacy:

Nearly three in ten (27%) McCain supporters are not enthusiastic about his candidacy.
Interestingly, while a much smaller group, a higher percentage of Evangelical Obama supporters are enthusiastic about his candidacy (82%) compared to McCain supporters (71%).

This is from the original link and may provide insight to some and nothing to others.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:06 AM

280 posts, read 687,719 times
I am a southern Baptist, go to church several times per week and take the Bible literally. I do not like either candidate, they are both too liberal for my taste. McCain is hurting the conservative Republican image and history. I would prefer a candidate who is much farther to the right. That being said, I won't give up my vote, but will be forced to vote for the lesser of 2 evils...McCain. I believe him to be too liberal, however Obama is soooo liberal he makes Kennedy look like Sean Hannity!

Old 08-16-2008, 02:44 PM

532 posts, read 860,695 times
Thumbs down A hard decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseFullaBoys View Post
I am a southern Baptist, go to church several times per week and take the Bible literally. I do not like either candidate, they are both too liberal for my taste. McCain is hurting the conservative Republican image and history. I would prefer a candidate who is much farther to the right. That being said, I won't give up my vote, but will be forced to vote for the lesser of 2 evils...McCain. I believe him to be too liberal, however Obama is soooo liberal he makes Kennedy look like Sean Hannity!
I understand your position. I dislike both candidates also. They are both too liberal for me. Too bad we don't have a real conservative candidate to choose from. No matter which of the 2 you vote for, you are casting a liberal vote. The only real conservative candidate in the running is Chuck Baldwin, with the Constitution Party. I believe he is a Baptist. Of course he won't win, as the CP has very little money, compared with the big 2--but they will be on some `states ballots. They are a very conservative party--too much so for many people. Many people have never heard of them, yet, as they are struggling to raise money to keep going. Too bad Ron Paul had to drop out. It left those of us who are searching for an honest candidate in the lurch. Good luck on making your voting decision. I feel your pain.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:13 PM

Define "evangelical" -- please (http://tmatt.gospelcom.net/column/2004/11/24/ - broken link)
"Actually, that's a question I'd like to ask somebody, too," he said, during a 1987 interview in his mountainside home office in Montreat, N.C. This oft-abused term has "become blurred. ... You go all the way from the extreme fundamentalists to the extreme liberals and, somewhere in between, there are the evangelicals."

The above is what Billy Graham said when asked to define evangelicals.

Definition of the term "Evangelical"
In a study comparing Evangelical and mainline denominations, a Princeton University study included the following as Evangelical denominations : Assemblies of God, Southern Baptists, Independent Baptists, black Protestants, African Methodist Episcopal, African Methodist Episcopal Zion; Church of Christ, Churches of God in Christ, Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, National Baptist Church, National Progressive Baptist Church, Nondenominational, Pentecostal denominations, and the Presbyterian Church in America. 1 Many theologians would also include the conservative faction within such mainline denominations as the Episcopal Church, USA, the Presbyterian Church (USA), and the United Methodist Church.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:37 PM

Evangelical? Obama's faith too complex for simple label :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Cathleen Falsani (http://www.suntimes.com/news/falsani/217455,CST-NWS-fals19.article - broken link)
Candid answers
Nearly three years ago, before his famous keynote address at the Democratic National Convention, before he spoke to the spiritual "progressives" at Call for Renewal or to Rick Warren's congregation at Saddleback, before he became a household name outside of Illinois, when people who knew him still were whispering about whether -- some day -- the young state senator from Chicago might run for president, Obama sat with me in public at a cafe on South Michigan Avenue and talked about his faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections