Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who did the best
McCain 79 68.70%
Obama 36 31.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 12:58 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,767,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipm8 View Post
You'll get an even clearer idea in the upcoming face to face REAL debates, Obama will mop the floor with McShame!
The upcoming "debates" have me a bit concerned, now that you brought them up. What happened last night, from what I understand, anyway, was that neither candidate had any inkling of what was going to be asked, i.e., neither was given a list of questions that were going to be asked. This is NOT what happens in these so-called "debates." Each candidate is given the questions ahead of time, and has the time to structure his/her answer accordingly. It is only after the question has been answered that the other side gets to rebut, and even then, the rebuttal is so short, there is hardly sufficient time to make a thorough rebuttal statement. And of course, we all know how middle-of-the-road ABCBSNBCPBS commentators are, don't we?

The forum last night, FWIW, should have been held in a remote location, no audience, just the questioner and the answerers. Period. But I had no say-so in that, did I?

And the man's last name is McCain. You can never get American English, can you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 12:59 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipm8 View Post
You'll get an even clearer idea in the upcoming face to face REAL debates, Obama will mop the floor with McShame!

Hopefully he figures out it doesn't include a teleprompter...maybe it will be a little closer this time.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
The upcoming "debates" have me a bit concerned, now that you brought them up. What happened last night, from what I understand, anyway, was that neither candidate had any inkling of what was going to be asked, i.e., neither was given a list of questions that were going to be asked. This is NOT what happens in these so-called "debates." Each candidate is given the questions ahead of time, and has the time to structure his/her answer accordingly. It is only after the question has been answered that the other side gets to rebut, and even then, the rebuttal is so short, there is hardly sufficient time to make a thorough rebuttal statement. And of course, we all know how middle-of-the-road ABCBSNBCPBS commentators are, don't we?

The forum last night, FWIW, should have been held in a remote location, no audience, just the questioner and the answerers. Period. But I had no say-so in that, did I?

And the man's last name is McCain. You can never get American English, can you?
It's not like he has really had much trial experience so being quick on his feet isn't exactly his thing. well unless you count the trials of the "mentors" around him.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:03 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,452,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
neither was given a list of questions that were going to be asked.
I remain skeptical about that, taking McShame's uncharacteristic quick responses into consideration....sometimes even before the question was asked.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:04 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Poor lil Obambi, needs to be protected from those horrible whiteys. Also, did not know this was a contest to "win". Simply an informal forum gathering, led by a Christian (oh no!) commentator. So that We the People could get a clearer idea on each candidate's issues.

Actually, I found the "evil" Christians to be very accommodating and polite. Which forum did you see?!
Obama's responses to the moderator's questions were much more reasoned and considered. They were the type of answers that would appeal to a crowd of adults who understand that issues are inherently complex and therefore must be handled in a complex manner.

McCain's responses were the exact opposite. He parsed his answers in terms of "either/or" with highly simplistic explanations of world affairs and concepts--his answer concerning the concept of evil was simultaneously laughable and pathetic. This is how you talk to small children not adults.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:06 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,642,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
It's not like he has really had much trial experience so being quick on his feet isn't exactly his thing. well unless you count the trials of the "mentors" around him.

Don't think he would make a good courtroom lawyer either. No, he belongs in the darkened halls and classrooms of one of those Ivy League schools, where he can warp young minds with his marxist ideals. Is probably going to be his only venue, unless he wants to go back to community work on the streets.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:08 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Correct...but that is where it gets complicated...you see that is the SAME WHITE grandma that Bubba Ho threw under his bus when he was justifying his being part white (GASP!) to the blacks he was pandering to and said "my poor old granny was one of those typical white people that was afraid of a black when she went by him on the street"....so as you can tell...she morphs from being some poor, stereotypical, uneducated granny to the retired bank V/P who is now the person he would turn to for guidance and opinions.

His pandering is dependent on the race of the audience....and he talks about OTHERS being racist!
Nahhh, she probably just smacked him (figuratively) after the first answer like any grandma would. This answer was trying to make up for the first one. Is she still alive?

Old 08-17-2008, 01:11 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,932,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Do "true christians" cheat on their wives? Call their wives trollops and the "C" word? Advocate war? Really?????
True Christians are imperfect just like anyone else. Who are you to judge? I doubt you believe in God. If you do/did you would know that already. I don't know either McCain's or Obama's relationship with God. I personally hope they each have one regardless of what they do in the actual lives. Being a Christian myself I am humbled by the fact that I make mistakes even knowing the right thing to do. It reminds me everyday that I am imperfect and in need of forgiveness. It helps me have compassion for all people no matter where they are in life, whatever they have done.

What is the standard that you use when looking at a person's life, the fruits of their efforts, how they treat their fellow man? Just curious.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Obama's responses to the moderator's questions were much more reasoned and considered. They were the type of answers that would appeal to a crowd of adults who understand that issues are inherently complex and therefore must be handled in a complex manner.

McCain's responses were the exact opposite. He parsed his answers in terms of "either/or" with highly simplistic explanations of world affairs and concepts--his answer concerning the concept of evil was simultaneously laughable and pathetic. This is how you talk to small children not adults.
Dodging the bullet doesn't make you complex. It's simply slipping and sliding past definitively answering the question.

If he answered it as what he believes in he would shun away the majority of America.

I know Obama is smart that much is obvious.

Answering these questions should be simple if such a smart man is responding to the average American.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:14 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Kill whitey?

He better be counting on their vote if he want's to get elected..Insulting them does what besides show your ignorance?

Wow it really does seem like the far left is in touch with America....they don't even seem to know who the majority of the population is.
Hey, truth hurts. Evangelical Christians are the American version of Afghanistan's Taliban. Those two groups have a lot more in common than they have differences.

The majority of the population are Christians, not Evangelical Christians. There's a difference--a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections