Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who did the best
McCain 79 68.70%
Obama 36 31.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 04:23 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Nice try. Nietzsche is one of the worlds greatest philosophers, though supremely misunderstood. It is very unfortunate that Nietzsche has a lot of things attached to him that he never said or even implied. That T.V. show; Andromeda, got it all wrong. Nietzsche never implied a social Darwinist worldview, Libertarianism does.

wonderful thinker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 04:31 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,651 times
Something much more reliable.Friedrich Nietzsche - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-17-2008, 04:40 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
Quote:
Fine. I'm too obtuse. I'm a troll. I'm whatever you say I am. Whatever it takes to make you sleep better at night. But your definitions amount to nothing more than "hand waving," in an attempt to deflect criticism from evangelicals. Which quite obviously has touched a raw nerve in you.
Yes, actually it did, because what you posted was false, and I have good friends who identify as evangelical. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'hand waving', but I clearly posted what is the common definition of Evangelical and some links to some organizations of Evangelicals who are about as far as Talibanesque as you can get. I notice that you do not address those at all, you simply dismiss my post without addressing any of the meat of the post. As such I assume you are not actually interested in discussing this subject as you have clearly made up your mind and are about as open minded as a rock that this might be something that isn't as black and white as you clearly believe it is.

My point is simply that "evangelical" is a very broad term, and encompasses a lot of people and beliefs, about the only thing you say say about them as a whole is they consider themselves Christians, but beyond that, it becomes a bit complicated.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:37 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,589,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Well, McCain was folksy, and Americans love folksy. But there's a seediness about McCain that is a constant with him, and was apparent last night. He's never come across as presidential. Chatty, sure. A responsible, smart, admirable leader, no.

Should there be a grain of truth to your assertion that would make Dumbo what, an idiot? He was BADLY outclassed last night, so much that his lemmings are claiming McCain had the questions beforehand.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:43 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
WingsOfGold, is it really necessary to call presidential candidates nasty names? Really immature.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:46 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
WingsOfGold, is it really necessary to call presidential candidates nasty names? Really immature.
Oh yes, calling candidates names is far, far worse than calling a president a name.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
From your link:

The fact that presidential candidates are/should be questioned by religious freaks makes me sick.
Hope you're wearing a bib. Truth is I never heard of the guy BUT he at least did a fair job, no bias and was professional. Could we expect that from Dan Blather, Curic, Tony Snow or Russert? Definitely not from the first two and it would have been tough for either of the later. Truth is, you CAN'T tell the truth, it's just not in you or your ilk.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
It IS!!! WoW, that's weird!
Seemed to work for Bubba 16 years ago. You may have been in diapers and didn't realize it.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Obama's responses to the moderator's questions were much more reasoned and considered. They were the type of answers that would appeal to a crowd of adults who understand that issues are inherently complex and therefore must be handled in a complex manner.

McCain's responses were the exact opposite. He parsed his answers in terms of "either/or" with highly simplistic explanations of world affairs and concepts--his answer concerning the concept of evil was simultaneously laughable and pathetic. This is how you talk to small children not adults.
How sophisticated does an answer need to be when asked "when does life begin"? That's a + - yes/no easy answer, one doesn't need to him haw or beat around the bush. Looks like Boy Blunder was spanked by the old man. Face it, "honesty" isn't the boys best virtue.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Don't think he would make a good courtroom lawyer either. No, he belongs in the darkened halls and classrooms of one of those Ivy League schools, where he can warp young minds with his marxist ideals. Is probably going to be his only venue, unless he wants to go back to community work on the streets.
I've given that considerable thought. He had choices, trial lawyer or "community activist". It's much harder to sway an educated jury than a bunch of thugs in the hood. Looks like Dumbo took the easy way out and got a free pass to slam his country as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections