Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who did the best
McCain 79 68.70%
Obama 36 31.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 01:42 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
You sound typical of someone that knows nothing about a relationship with Christ not Christainty. There is a huge difference. The Christian you like is the lukewarm Christian that has no commitment to living his/her life Christlike. That is where the name Christian comes from.

It is clear in the Bible how God detest a lukewarm Christian.

And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
Don't tell me, Soccorsupporter. I'm an ex-fundamentalist Christian, I know that there is a big difference between evangelical Christians and mainstream Christians. It was BigJon3475 who gave an ecumenical definition of Christianity.

But facts are facts, you guys(evangelicals) are American Taliban. And your post proves my point. It's either your way or the highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 01:43 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,602,495 times
Thumbs up What an intersting series of interviews

Wow. That was very interesting.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:45 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,932,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Don't tell me, Soccorsupporter. I'm an ex-fundamentalist Christian, I know that there is a big difference between evangelical Christians and mainstream Christians. It was BigJon3475 who gave an ecumenical definition of Christianity.

But facts are facts, you guys(evangelicals) are American Taliban. And your post proves my point. It's either your way or the highway.
Geez I thought you might attempt to refute what the Bible says about lukewarm Christians, you know the ones that aren't Taliban Christians in your opinion. Sounds like you hung out with the wrong crowd and got burnt. Christians are Christians, you are either Christlike and attempt to follow his teachings or you don't. God has plenty to say about the topic in the Bible.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:45 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Absolutely right on the money! But wasn't that mistake (decision) made once before (eight years ago) - and now we have this massive, uncontrollable deficit, an economy in shambles and a possible "100 year war".
I'd suggest that instead of the snide remarks and insults which tend to emerge after a Dem posting that *maybe* it might make better sense to really examine and look beyond the superficial nature of a candidate's position on the issues - at the implications of that position. How will it affect you and your family - your job, your finances, your future?
I didn't think it was particularly amusing either when McCain said that a person with $5 million qualified him or her as rich! In my world $250,000 would be rich- as Obama noted.. To be a future successful and effective president, a candidate needs to possess a sense of what it's like to be an average middle-class or lower-class person! Otherwise it's four more years of tax breaks for the corporations and richest members of our society!
Said the person following the multi millionaire...

Seriously you missed the rest of McCains statement:

"I want everyone to be rich"

What that means is there is no cap on who's rich or not....when you hit a certain level you don't suddenly become rich.

I know a couple right now with well over $100,000 in school debts....both have pharm. degrees...

Together they make $250,000....Does that seem rich to you knowing you have to make living arrangements also.

The "rich" folks you speak of are the ones providing the jobs to the "middle and poor" you speak of. Guess what happens when being "rich" isn't profitable anymore.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post

No if you want to be judgmental and completely wrong that's your choice.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:52 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You equated them to "Afghanistan's Taliban"

At best that's slander. Name one evangelical that pulled people from the streets into soccer stadiums for routine public deaths...

That's a far cry from someone who believes in spreading the word....So what exactly do you disagree with in a statement that say's "it's not about you"

He teaches spreading joy and happiness to yourself by giving to others....That's sounds extremist to me...
Your right the Taliban are extremist, but so are evangelical Christians. If you don't believe me that they are more a like than different then research their moral positions.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:10 PM

Thumbs up Good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Who did the best? I thought this was a good format compare to several elections back candidates in the MTV format!
I'm not certain who did the best. I had the unique situation of watching the first half and then leaving for a social function.

I watched the second half later, and thus, was left with two very distinct and separate impressions of both candidates.

Strange when I watched it this way, I got the impression that the crowd was very much in tune with Senator Obama and very warm, welcoming.

Later, for Senator McCain I felt there were some definite cheerleaders, or perhaps folks who were very predetermined regarding his positions. He had great crowd reaction as well.

I retrospect it appears the crowd was a little more predisposed to Senator McCain, Senator Obama was applauded more often, for whatever that's worth.

Looking at the overall interviews in a "double vacuum" lol, I suppose on a personal level I prefer Senator Obama's answers overall, it is a novice view to think the world is black & white, and dangerous for a Commander in Chief to believe it so. I believe Senator McCain did exceptionally well, he was funny, well prepared and direct. Both candidates chose key moments to be evasive, I suppose they wouldn't be politicians if they hadn't mastered this integral quality.

In the end I believe the candidates had a unique opportunity to show the viewers more of who they were and how they think, and that is what I have been primarily interested in, when researching the candidates - so I was satisfied with a much more in depth view.

I hope this addresses the op, I really didn't view this as a contest, as much as a window into the thought process and core of what makes a person tick.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:21 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,192,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Said the person following the multi millionaire...

Seriously you missed the rest of McCains statement:

"I want everyone to be rich"

What that means is there is no cap on who's rich or not....when you hit a certain level you don't suddenly become rich.

I know a couple right now with well over $100,000 in school debts....both have pharm. degrees...

Together they make $250,000....Does that seem rich to you knowing you have to make living arrangements also.

The "rich" folks you speak of are the ones providing the jobs to the "middle and poor" you speak of. Guess what happens when being "rich" isn't profitable anymore.
My actual point was; that Obama seemed to have a much more *realistic* understanding of what being "rich" is.. I suspect most average folks posting here would think that $250,000 represents a pretty substantial income (rich) - but that $5million qualifies as SUPER wealthy - not just "rich".

It all emanantes from your personal point of reference. Since McCain's family income (due to his wife's business) is probably in the SUPER rich category and Obama's (now) is probably in the $200k range(?) who is in a better position to understand the average person's needs?

Leads me to wonder what IS the income of the 'average' businessperson "supplying jobs"? Anyone know?

Old 08-17-2008, 02:25 PM

Their are so many variables with average income. If your source shows a graph of median income adjusted for real dollars and purchasing power, you're on the right track.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
My actual point was; that Obama seemed to have a much more *realistic* understanding of what being "rich" is.. I suspect most average folks posting here would think that $250,000 represents a pretty substantial income (rich) - but that $5million qualifies as SUPER wealthy - not just "rich".

It all emanantes from your personal point of reference. Since McCain's family income (due to his wife's business) is probably in the SUPER rich category and Obama's (now) is probably in the $200k range(?) who is in a better position to understand the average person's needs?

Leads me to wonder what IS the income of the 'average' businessperson "supplying jobs"? Anyone know?

Being rich in one city as opposed to another isn't realistic approach.....therefore attaching definitive numbers to it is pointless....and destructive.

Greensboro, NC if no where close to Hawaii, HU

We have seen the biggest growth of millionaires in decades while Bush was in office.

When you penalize people for "achievements" you discourage human nature.

I'll find the statistics...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections