Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:58 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,951 times

Advertisements

McCain has done more to reach out to blacks than Bush did. McCain went to the NAACP convention (I believe??) and was greeted with thinly veiled indifference/rudeness. But at least he did make the effort which is more than Bush did. I don't see anyone on here giving him credit. McCain said at the time that he did not expect to get their votes, but he was at least reaching out. He did the same thing in the spring when he visited a small all black town in AL named Gee's Bend that had never been visited by a presidential candidate before. Haven't seen Obama there but I would be willing to bet you that all the little black ladies from Gee's Bend will vote for Obama anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 08:58 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,639,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
I know there are other reasons that Blacks are voting for him...I never said it was the sole reason. You, however, won't admit that it is any of the reason.

This is going nowhere. We just disagree. I'm sure some will say I'm racist for my views...but whatever, several Black people DO agree with me.
Yep, that's fine...we'll agree to disagree...and several Black people DO agree with me too!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:59 PM

715 posts, read 1,670,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
Yep, that's fine...we'll agree to disagree...and several Black people DO agree with me too!
I know they do. Race is always that "elephant in the room" that people don't want to talk about...this is a good thread b/c some of it can be talked about.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
McCain has done more to reach out to blacks than Bush did. McCain went to the NAACP convention (I believe??) and was greeted with thinly veiled indifference/rudeness. But at least he did make the effort which is more than Bush did. I don't see anyone on here giving him credit. McCain said at the time that he did not expect to get their votes, but he was at least reaching out. He did the same thing in the spring when he visited a small all black town in AL named Gee's Bend that had never been visited by a presidential candidate before. Haven't seen Obama there but I would be willing to bet you that all the little black ladies from Gee's Bend will vote for Obama anyway.
I think you have your events mixed up. He went to the Lorraine Motel in Memphis on the anniversary of King's assination. He did get credit for going, if you look back in the threads you will find some discussion on it.

I think what left a bad taste was that he said that he should have voted for the MLK holiday in AZ but didn't. People felt it was an inappropriate time to bring the subject up.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
I know they do. Race is always that "elephant in the room" that people don't want to talk about...this is a good thread b/c some of it can be talked about.
As long as it is done with respect...and so far this is exactly how the discussion has proceeded. I intend to keep it that way, hopefully others will follow the lead.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:05 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,686,321 times
And the McCains adopted a sick child from far away and have raised her as their own.
Obama grew up in other countries and saw this going on all over the place and yet did he bring any of those starving and sick children home? No he did not.
The McCains are unselfish giving people who should be commended for what they do for others.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:10 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
I think you have your events mixed up. He went to the Lorraine Motel in Memphis on the anniversary of King's assination. He did get credit for going, if you look back in the threads you will find some discussion on it.

I think what left a bad taste was that he said that he should have voted for the MLK holiday in AZ but didn't. People felt it was an inappropriate time to bring the subject up.
No, it was a convention several months ago -- long before the King assassination anniversary. There was coverage probably on CNN showing him speaking in front of a half full hall with many of the attendees openly disrespecting him by holding up newspapers in front of them. I am pretty sure that it was the NAACP convention and it was noted that Bush had not attended in recent years. You can't really blame someone for not attending when they are treated with such rudeness but you have to admire McCain's tenacity!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
No, it was a convention several months ago -- long before the King assassination anniversary. There was coverage probably on CNN showing him speaking in front of a half full hall with many of the attendees openly disrespecting him by holding up newspapers in front of them. I am pretty sure that it was the NAACP convention and it was noted that Bush had not attended in recent years. You can't really blame someone for not attending when they are treated with such rudeness but you have to admire McCain's tenacity!
Well, if so I stand corrected that he did attend.

If what you are saying is true about disrespecting him, then the people who did it were wrong, plain & simple.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:02 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,672,955 times
Quote:
I give credit to McCain for going. Bush was basically disdainful of the whole bunch when he was in office. I don't like the direction of Republican politics, but I have taken a careful look at McCain because he deserves one.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:04 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,672,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smd1998 View Post
And the McCains adopted a sick child from far away and have raised her as their own.
Obama grew up in other countries and saw this going on all over the place and yet did he bring any of those starving and sick children home? No he did not.
The McCains are unselfish giving people who should be commended for what they do for others.
Obama lived in Indonesia as a young child. I don't think he could have brought anyone home with him at the age of 8. Also, he was not a multimillionaire like the McCains, either; they could, if they wished, bring children back from their journeys. I do commend the McCains for doing what they have done on that front, though. For Obama, affluence is a relatively recent development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections