Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:14 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,821,323 times

Advertisements

It is really upsetting to me to see the Obama supporters continually calling him "McBush" when it is clear that he deserves better and is definitely his own man. I quite frankly was undecided but the more I see of McCain the more I like and the opposite can be said for Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 10:22 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,640,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
It is really upsetting to me to see the Obama supporters continually calling him "McBush" when it is clear that he deserves better and is definitely his own man. I quite frankly was undecided but the more I see of McCain the more I like and the opposite can be said for Obama.
Well, I don't believe in calling names either...

As long as your looks at McCain are because he and his platform aligns with your views, who can argue?

I won't however use your ethnicity as an arguement as to why you are doing so, which so many people say is the primary reason for Obama's support.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:25 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,609,474 times
Default McBush?

Quote:
It is really upsetting to me to see the Obama supporters continually calling him "McBush" when it is clear that he deserves better and is definitely his own man.
How about McStain, McPain or McSame?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
All are equally objectionable. I personally have always tried to maintain a higher level discourse and refer to Obama supporter as such and not call names. Wouldn't it be nice if others did likewise!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Not Nice...

Old 09-05-2008, 10:40 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,147,930 times
Quote:
All are equally objectionable. I personally have always tried to maintain a higher level discourse and refer to Obama supporter as such and not call names. Wouldn't it be nice if others did likewise!
Yes, me too. I don't care for him but it never occurred to me to call him "funny names". It seems so junior high school.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:37 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,257,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Don't give me crap about "all Obama voters"...the question was whether Black voters will be more upset. YOU KNOW THEY WILL. I've never seen Black people crying at a DNC before this year...so obviously, they are more invested in the political process this year b/c a candidate that looks like them is running. I'm not even saying I blame them....I just don't know why it is so hard to admit.

Is it b/c you think it invalidates Obama...like Republicans will look at him as not really being qualified b/c he only won b/c he is Black rather than b/c he is smart & ready to lead?
Aha, but that is why I think Obama is doing so well. Because the Black community sees him as both. They like that he is Black (well to be exact he's bi-racial, but that's another argument for another day, and one that's already been beat to death on here actually), and that he's smart and ready to lead. A previous poster made a good point that there have been Black candidates in the past who did not get this sort of backing from the Black community, so to pin it only on race is shortsighted. Don't get me wrong, race definitely plays a big part in why Black people are so enthusiastic about Obama but its only a part of it. Its not like they are supporting Lil Wayne for president.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 09-06-2008 at 12:04 AM..

Old 09-05-2008, 11:59 PM

I think the people who look at him as not qualified see that he has very little foreign policy experience and fear that he is not ready for the world stage. I would feel alot more comfortable if he had run in 2012 when he has more experience. He also seems to have isolationist tendences as well as being prone to appeasement. I would say the same for Palin but the big difference is that she is the VICE Presidential candidate and will have time to develope the skills necessary. As has been pointed out Obama has only been in the Senate one term and most of that was spent campaigning for president. From that point Palin has more actual time as Governor than Obama has as Senator.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I think the people who look at him as not qualified see that he has very little foreign policy experience and fear that he is not ready for the world stage. I would feel alot more comfortable if he had run in 2012 when he has more experience. He also seems to have isolationist tendences as well as being prone to appeasement. I would say the same for Palin but the big difference is that she is the VICE Presidential candidate and will have time to develope the skills necessary. As has been pointed out Obama has only been in the Senate one term and most of that was spent campaigning for president. From that point Palin has more actual time as Governor than Obama has as Senator.
Didn't John Edwards have the same amount of experience when he first ran too? I'm not 100% sure of that, but it's something I heard. If so, I don't remember experience ever being mentioned when he was running.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:40 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,492,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
There are many things that are inhibiting the advancement of black people, however not voting for Republicans is not one of them. The Republican party has done absolutely nothing to reach out to black people. Even more to the point, they have implemented strategies that many black people find offensive, if not flat out racist.

Where are the Republicans on issues related to civil rights, unfair treatment in the criminal justice system, and the various social ills that disproportionately impact black people? They have choosen not to address these issues and as a result, black people have written them off.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

So the democrats get a pass because?
The Democrats' Missing History - WSJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections