Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 02:04 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,670,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
hungry animals wonder into towns all the time for food. wolves are generally afraid of people, but like I said, hungry and sick wolves would attack humans. read about wolf attacks here, but realize that population control is done for a reason. when they run out of food, they will go looking for it.

Wolf attacks on humans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In AK, it's not done for population control though, those helicopter hunts are done strictly for game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 02:07 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,855,850 times
well, it doesn't seem to be too much of a game to me, but if it's not against the law, oh well. I personally don't understand hunting at all. it's not a sport, it's an outdoor activity. just seems boring to me. why hunt when you have omaha steaks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
In AK, it's not done for population control though, those helicopter hunts are done strictly for game.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:07 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie1964 View Post
Can you please provide a link that backs up your claim that wolves wander into towns and attack people.
No one's howling when wolves eat dogs: Craig Medred Columns | adn.com

So where are the companion-animal lovers of PETA and the Humane Society, usually so quick to offer unsolicited advice? As we all know, they have a load of it every year for the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race. They're more than happy to tell anyone who will listen that mushers shouldn't run the race because a dog might die.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:08 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
Quote:
The helicopter hunts are only done for population control. That's why it's such a limited area it's allowed.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:09 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,435,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
hungry animals wonder into towns all the time for food. wolves are generally afraid of people, but like I said, hungry and sick wolves would attack humans. read about wolf attacks here, but realize that population control is done for a reason. when they run out of food, they will go looking for it.

Wolf attacks on humans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Humane Society spells out the real reason for the aerial wolf slaughtering:

Quote:
Palin engineered a campaign of shooting predators from airplanes and helicopters, in order to artificially boost the populations of moose and caribou for trophy hunters. She offered a $150 bounty for the left foreleg of each dead wolf as an economic incentive for pilots and aerial gunners to kill more of the animals, even though Alaska voters had twice approved a ban on the practice.
Urban out of state trophy hunters are big business in Alaska.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
The helicopter hunts are only done for population control. That's why it's such a limited area it's allowed.
No, they're not. They are done to increase the Caribou population so people can hunt them. They are done strictly for game. There is no wolf population control program in AK.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:10 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,868,263 times
Quote:
Only on city-data could people find something negative to say about someone adopting a dog from a shelter.
I adopted a black lab from an animal shelter and didn't take a full page ad out in the paper to announce it. Obama really needs a good size piece of humble pie. He is a bit uppity.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:12 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,044,316 times
Only a person with an AK-47 would claim to be so afraid of wolves that they need to be shot from the air. I say forget the helicopter runs - don't they have ICBM's in Alaska? They're wolves for crying out loud - Nuke 'em! People don't stand a chance against wild animals.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:12 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,443,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I adopted a black lab from an animal shelter and didn't take a full page ad out in the paper to announce it. Obama really needs a good size piece of humble pie. He is a bit uppity.
You think maybe he just wanted a dog and decided to adopt one and the media is just putting it out there?

Old 10-06-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I think it was a great way to use his influence to promote adopting animals from shelters rather than buying at a pet store. Some people can find negativity in anything.

"Obama buys child ice cream cone"

CD: THAT CHILD IS GOING TO GET DIABETES THANKS TO OBAMA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections