Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 02:14 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times

Advertisements

Yay! I just did the same thing today. Even more reason for me to vote for him! And not the wolf killer.

(though I will say the one thing I like about McCain is that he doesn't want to drill in the wildlife refuge...unlike his runningmate)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 02:14 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

In the mid `70s, early in my career as an Alaska state wildlife biologist, the Associated Press distributed a picture of me nationwide. I was standing in front of wolf pelts ADF&G was auctioning in Fairbanks. A Lower 48 reader clipped the photo and inscribed it: "This is so you can show your children what wolves looked like when they become extinct."

That they are not extinct, or even remotely in danger of becoming so in Alaska, now more than a quarter century after that photo, is obvious. Why else would we still be having rancorous discussions about managing wolves?

Standing above the rancor is the simple reality that properly applied wolf control works. An example from the wolf control program that resulted in the wolf hides I had my picture taken with illustrates.

Romantic notions of the “balance of nature” lead easily to the false conclusion that if we simply “let nature take its course,” abundance will naturally result. The historical reality is that much of Alaska was hungry country when US Army explorers began to penetrate the Interior in the late 19th century. Some of these parties nearly starved for lack of game. The Athabascan inhabitants of the Interior often struggled with starvation. The "balance of nature" there seems to have been weighted more toward scarcity than abundance.

Wolf control works: A retired Alaska wildlife biologist writes about making abundant wildlife

Old 10-06-2008, 02:15 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
those hunts are big business everywhere. like I said, I don't understand hunting at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
The Humane Society spells out the real reason for the aerial wolf slaughtering:

Urban out of state trophy hunters are big business in Alaska.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:15 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
well, it doesn't seem to be too much of a game to me, but if it's not against the law, oh well. I personally don't understand hunting at all. it's not a sport, it's an outdoor activity. just seems boring to me. why hunt when you have omaha steaks?
I agree. I don't personally see the fun in hunting, but if it's legal and done in season when it's allowed, so what? I guess the libs think we should change our mind and not vote for McCain-Palin because Palin hunts. They want those animals taken care of protected. But they don't care that Obama's brother lives in poverty and he does nothing to help his brother.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:16 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I agree. I don't personally see the fun in hunting, but if it's legal and done in season when it's allowed, so what? I guess the libs think we should change our mind and not vote for McCain-Palin because Palin hunts. They want those animals taken care of protected. But they don't care that Obama's brother lives in poverty and he does nothing to help his brother.
They are exploiting a loophole in a federal law (and Palin wanted to pay people to do this) to promote hunting a species that continually falls onto the endangered species list, simply so people can hunt a totally different animal that is not close to endangered.

But hey, who cares about protecting an endangered species right? Wipe em all out so humans can have some fun.

What does Obama's half-brother that he met once, have to do with adopting a dog?

Old 10-06-2008, 02:17 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
Only a person with an AK-47 would claim to be so afraid of wolves that they need to be shot from the air. I say forget the helicopter runs - don't they have ICBM's in Alaska? They're wolves for crying out loud - Nuke 'em! People don't stand a chance against wild animals.
In places a plane can't even land what do you suppose they do to help all animals and not the ones you folks would like to use for a political gain.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:18 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,235,498 times
Yeah, it's absolutely wrong to have anyone in office that hunts. Perfectly OK though to have someone in office who has terrorist friends.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:18 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Some people can find negativity in anything.
Obama finds political expediency in every action. No sincerity on his part.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:19 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Oh, oh!! Since I've been an adult, I have rescued a total of 4 dogs and one cat from the humane society.....do I get bonus points because all four dogs where large and black (big, black dogs being harder to adopt)?

As for the hunting controversy....really, do you people eat meat? Do you think cows die humane deaths? I assure you, they do not. It is horrible. Does the fact that you are not the one actually doing the killing exempt you from guilt? No, it doesn't.

Now, I do not hunt. But I do like a steak so in all honesty I cannot condemn those that hunt. And nor should any of you (unless you are all vegans).

Old 10-06-2008, 02:21 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
In places a plane can't even land what do you suppose they do to help all animals and not the ones you folks would like to use for a political gain.
Again, they are not doing this for wolf population control. They are doing it to artificially increase the number of caribou for hunting season. This is not a matter of hunting for population control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections