Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 11:11 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What else would you call tax cuts for 95% of americans? You must have failed math because when only 68% pay taxes, you cant cut taxes on 95% without giving some additional handouts.
WARNING: Continued attempts to use logic and reason against liberal arguments is a violation of the TOS on this forum and any future attempts will be reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 11:18 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
This analysis leaves out 2 key points....a huge percentage of the population that doesn't pay a dime in taxes is going to get a tax cut (that's wealth redistribution, so even the middle class is going to be forced into giving charity to the lower income people, regardless if they want to work for a living or not!) and #2 it doesn't take into account that Obama will let the Bush tax cuts expire, and that his tax cut will be less than what the Bush ones are...which means in effect the middle class will be paying higher taxes once the Bush tax cuts expire. The Obama tax cut plan is all a big lie....letting the Bush tax cuts expire will result in higher net taxes for everyone except those who don't currently pay any taxes.

Is this really that hard for people to understand. It is not financially possible for him to keep all the promises he has made to the American public.
I assume that by "a huge percentage of the population," you mean the poor? How can they get a tax cut if they don't pay taxes? That doesn't make any sense. As for giving charity: we're doing that right now, in the perverse subsidies granted to record-profit corporations and huge tax cuts and loopholes for the wealthy. Yes, Obama will let the Bush tax cuts for the WEALTHY expire in 2010, as they are legally supposed to expire. What do you mean by Obama's "tax cut will be less than what the Bush ones are"? Do you mean less than what the Bush ones are for the wealthy? If so, then yes. Where's the problem? In any case, the middle class will NOT be paying higher taxes once the Bush tax cuts expire, since those tax cuts affect only the wealthy. The Obama tax plan is not "all a big lie." You have to have evidence for such an assertion, which you have no provided. The Tax Policy Center has performed a close analysis of each submitted tax plan. Neither they, nor any other governmental or legal entity has charged that Obama's plan is a "lie."

As for Obama keeping all the financial promises he has made to America, I'm inclined to agree. But given the economic crisis we are now suffering, that would be true for any political promises by any candidate. Nevertheless, I do not think that the tax plan will be one of the promises he cannot keep. Capitalism depends on consumer activity. The middle class MUST be engaged in consumption at a higher level if capitalism is to be revived. And tax cuts are the only way that is going to happen.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:49 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
I don't know why anyone would vote for Barack.

It's stupid and irresponsible. Change for the worse.

I came into a situation where I lost a job. I discovered resources to many more jobs over that time, and found a great job.

Hell, if I had gotten off my ars before I lost my previous job, I would have found a better one earlier. Get it?

People that think that their lot in life is predestined, are kidding themselves.

Democrats think that folks on welfare are always meant to be there. And that we should feed them as much taxpayer money as possible. That's not true. People have to get off their butts. Barack's plans give them every incentive to stay poor. They will praise the Democratic candidate. "Ha, Ha, I don't have to work".
That is exactly What they will do.

Diane G

Old 10-19-2008, 01:03 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
That is exactly What they will do.

Diane G

Old 10-19-2008, 09:44 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,490 times
Default Go Bang Your Head

As I understand it, and it is news, cnn, fox, msnbc, etc., Obama's tax plan is supposed to be close to what McSame's is proposing. Unless of course, the media is lying. and of course, if independent agencies are reporting falsely.
You make assumptions by stating that I must have failed math, which is a typical response from a right-winger when you yourself can't understand what's happening in mainstream America. You don't have to be a math major to see what's happening in America right now.
I don't think Mr.Obama is talking about handouts, when he said, share the wealth, I really think he really means leveling the playing (working class) field a bit.
with the current minimum wage, a family of 3, father, mother, and baby, who, pay rent, utilities, car payment, car insurance, gas, phone, food, diapers, possible child care costs, and other things a young working couple incurs, the minimum wage just doesn't cut it. their tax is about 15% on what they earn, although, they'll get that back plus EIC, it's still not enough for a family of 3, plus, they don't see the EIC or taxes paid into the system till the beginning of the next year, after filing their 1040. and, unless you do not spend money yourself everyday, you wouldn't notice that the cost of everything has gone up, and the people who are "middle Americans" are struggling to make ends meet. some have even lost their homes, or are going to. I know a small percentage of upperclass Americans already are paying at least 35% of their wages or earnings in taxes. which, I think is a bit unfair too. If the playing field were more level, the minimum wage would be higher, corporations would be forced to not offshore to get cheaper labor, and Americans actually could buy things made in America, which would equal a stronger economy. you've sold me short. you don't respectfully disagree, you just magically assume that I don't know what I'm talking about. I have eyes, and I can see what is happening to this country. your present administration has dragged us into the muck, into the gutter. It's high time trickle down economics was abandoned for at least 4 years, to see what Obama's plan will do for America, I'd **** on a spark plug if that would help jolt the economy, but this administration, and possibly McSames, might drag us down further. McSame admitted and openly has said he doesn't know much about economy, do we really need a person who admittedly knows nothing, or, at least very little?
and, I really see why you right-wingers don't want Obama elected as the next president. you don't think you can trust in him to make the right decisions, well, you'all trusted bushka, and look where were at, 8 years after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What else would you call tax cuts for 95% of americans? You must have failed math because when only 68% pay taxes, you cant cut taxes on 95% without giving some additional handouts.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:54 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,731 times
When the Average Joe has worked hard throughout his life, paid his taxes and starts to enjoy a well deserved retirement and suddenly his wife gets cancer and he must file for bankruptcy in order to pay the bills, there's something wrong with the American dream.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:56 AM

Default Paying Taxes

The following is a link to a web page where it tells how much the percentage of taxes are paid, based upon income.
Tax Brackets (Federal Income Tax Rates) 2000 through 2008

Old 10-19-2008, 09:59 AM

Not only that, but, pre-existing medical conditions can preclude a person from acquiring insurance, not to mention, the insurance companies in the free market who refuse to pay for certain medical conditions, like cancer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
When the Average Joe has worked hard throughout his life, paid his taxes and starts to enjoy a well deserved retirement and suddenly his wife gets cancer and he must file for bankruptcy in order to pay the bills, there's something wrong with the American dream.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:59 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
I second that, and I'll raise you a WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
What?

Old 10-19-2008, 10:02 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I assume that by "a huge percentage of the population," you mean the poor? How can they get a tax cut if they don't pay taxes?
DING DING DING... Now you get the flaw in Obamas plan to give 95% of americans a tax cut?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections