Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 11:29 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,275,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Oh that proves soooooooooooo much doesn't it. Moving, 99% of your posts are nothing more then one-liners with no content. Why not actually flex your little brain and come back with a response that has content.

What Joe the plumber says specifically, no! It is the ideology behind what it stands for! Only idiots are incapable of getting this.......
Really. Then why are major long-time leaders of the Republican party leaving it? George Will, David Brooks, Charles K., etc. Are they "idiots," too? No. They are "thinking conservatives," and the wingnut faction that has taken over the Republican party scares the hell out of them. It's no secret why only a few Republican members of Congress showed up at the RNC. Unprecedented in American campaign history. NOBODY sane from the Republican party wants to be anywhere NEAR McCain/Palin or the raging, racist fruitcakes who support them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 01:34 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,376,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
You're going to get a lot of vindictive posts on this one - but you have hit on the truth...

I don't think of it as 'spreading the wealth around' - so much as making the tax system more progressive.

Right now the tax code is totally biased in favor of the wealthy - they get huge tax discounts on their major source of income (capital gains), they pay a lower effective tax rate than the average middle class worker - even Warren Buffet sees the inequity on this.

I hope Obama does increase the marginal tax rates on income above $250,000. And I hope he makes it a big increase. I see no reason why it could not be at least 40%. I also hope he lifts the cap on social security on wages above $250,000.

He should also index the Alternative Minimum Tax so it targets those it originally intended to - wealthy people paying little or no tax - and so it stops hitting the middle-class.

I also hope he introduces tax penalties for moving jobs offshore, and tax credits for creating or retaining jobs here...

The wealthy will scoff at this - but then many of them are motivated by pure greed - a basic emotion.

They should begin paying their fair share again...

HubbleRules
You certainly do rule, Hubble! Thank you!

Old 10-18-2008, 01:42 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,376,957 times
[quote=mrbob;5746170]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post

You are living in an ivory tower - and definitely out of touch with reality... talk about ignorance on this forum...

Many smart kids are unable to go to college these days because of the high cost of college, combined with the gutting of government support for students over the years. I see that where I live, and I see that when I visit my alma mater... The student body is primarily students from very upper income families, minorities and the poor (who get preverential treatment w/scholarships), and foreign students. The American middle-class is shrinking from big name schools - they are totally priced-out.

And inner-city schools are nothing like those in the rich suburbs - anyone who claims the contrary is extremely ignorant or has their head in the sand.

People from well-to-do families have a distinct education advantage over the typical middle-class family and the poor..
Case in point, looking at your last line, George W. Bush. If anyone really believes he would have become president without being born into the family he came from, then you really are delusional. Another shining example, McCain (aka, fifth from the bottom of his class).

Old 10-18-2008, 02:48 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
You're going to get a lot of vindictive posts on this one - but you have hit on the truth...

I don't think of it as 'spreading the wealth around' - so much as making the tax system more progressive.

Right now the tax code is totally biased in favor of the wealthy - they get huge tax discounts on their major source of income (capital gains), they pay a lower effective tax rate than the average middle class worker - even Warren Buffet sees the inequity on this.

I hope Obama does increase the marginal tax rates on income above $250,000. And I hope he makes it a big increase. I see no reason why it could not be at least 40%.

I also hope he lifts the cap on social security on wages above $250,000.

He should also index the Alternative Minimum Tax so it targets those it originally intended to - wealthy people paying little or no tax - and so it stops hitting the middle-class.

I also hope he introduces tax penalties for moving jobs offshore, and tax credits for creating or retaining jobs here...

The wealthy will scoff at this - but then many of them are motivated by pure greed - a basic emotion.

They should begin paying their fair share again...

HubbleRules

Please google how the wealthy avoid paying taxes,
they know all the tricks and can hire the best tax lawyers to help them.
Good grief!

Old 10-18-2008, 07:43 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,323,538 times
No ****? really? when did you wake up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
The thread topic is...

Spreading the Wealth Around

Last edited by highdesertmutz; 10-18-2008 at 07:59 PM..

Old 10-18-2008, 07:48 PM

I hope so, it's about time. I especially hope it happens to some Neo-Con's posting here. anti-American, you neo-con's get worse every day the election draws ever nearer. you want 4 more years of the same, you make me just want to heave. you neo-can's are truly sickening. anti-American? I think you'all are the ones to watch out for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyT View Post
You can bet your last dollar that when he starts spreading the wealth, white people will be at the bottom of the list.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:52 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Really. Then why are major long-time leaders of the Republican party leaving it? George Will, David Brooks, Charles K., etc. Are they "idiots," too? No. They are "thinking conservatives," and the wingnut faction that has taken over the Republican party scares the hell out of them. It's no secret why only a few Republican members of Congress showed up at the RNC. Unprecedented in American campaign history. NOBODY sane from the Republican party wants to be anywhere NEAR McCain/Palin or the raging, racist fruitcakes who support them.
What they say in an interview or write in a paper has no bearing on how they will really vote though. There are lots of liars out ther.

That said, Obama will probably be annointed on the 5th, so you will be happy I am sure.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:54 PM

Look in the mirror. and ask yourself why you're insulting people here? stupid and communist, and what the hell are you funky? you must be better than anyone here who disagrees with you.
[quote=Donn2390;5740478]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post

How stupid can one get..?If you can't make it on minimum wage, get a better job..! Pretty darn simple. Everyone has the same chance of an education in this country, and if you chose not to take advantage of that opportunity, then starve to death.. You are sticking up for the lazy bums that want to share the money of the hard working... You and obama are true communists. Unbelievable...!

Old 10-18-2008, 08:15 PM

Tony, an educated person knows that when the US Gov. has their hands on anything, it turns to poo poo.
one of the things the Gov. can do, is regulate big corporations by compelling them not to send jobs Americans can do overseas. I would even be in favor of big tax cuts for corporations, if they put Americans back to work. I think maybe by stopping this offshoring stuff, might give the economy a lift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
Once upon a time in the United States, there was a man named Huey P. Long. He served first as governor then later senator from the State of Louisiana. In 1934 he announced a plan called "Share Our Wealth" to which was attached the slogan "Every Man A King". Long felt that the Great Depression was caused by the disparity between rich and poor and that adopting his program would solve the crisis.

Among some of the things Long proposed was to limit the annual income of every American citizen, limit the amount of money an individual could inherit, guarantee every family an income if they made less then one third the national average income, and give free education to every child from elementary school through college. The key to Long's plan was to use the federal tax code to collect the excess income and share what was taken in with the American people via government benefits. In 1934, Huey Long wanted to set the income limit at one million dollars per person. Today apparently the threshold has been lowered so that anything over $250,000 makes you wealthy in America.

When discussing "Share Our Wealth", Huey Long stated:

"We do not propose to say there shall be no rich men. We do not ask to divide the wealth. We only propose that, when one man gets more then he and his children and children's children can spend in their lifetimes, that then we shall say that such person has his share".

Barack Obama says:

"It's not that I want to punish your success. I want to make sure everybody who is behind you, that they've got a chance at success, too. My attitude is that if the economy's good for folks from the bottom up, it's gonna be good for everybody. I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody".

Today, just like before, we see politicians pushing the bankrupt, populist notion that the government can actually level the playing field for everyone and guarantee that life will finally be fair. And all it will take to accomplish this is for the rich to be "patriotic" and give just a little bit more (after all they are rich, they can afford it). Once they do, prosperity will magically spread throughout the land. Given the dismal track record the government has with most anything it gets it's hands on, I don't understand why people suddenly are so willing to believe that government can "fix" this "problem".

Barack Obama may not be Huey Long reincarnated. But I suspect that the old "Kingfish" would be very proud regardless.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:18 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
He/She said, decent paying job for all Americans, not handouts, read the post before you type.
But thats not what Obama is campaigning on.. He's clearly campaigning on handouts..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections